Trying to find something to relate Deafness to?

Fiery

Reaction score
Hey all,
So I'm finding myself in a bit of a problem; I've decided I want to be a teacher for Deaf kids (I absolutely ADORE both English and ASL, so teaching literature in Sign Language [and essentially hopefully inspire more people to go all Writing-Nerd-style--oh, I'm devious] sounds like heaven to me), and when I tell people this in response to the super-common "what are you in school for?" the typical response I get to that, quite frankly, irritates me to no end. They act like I'm martyring myself, like it's an act of charity or whatever. It's the "poor little deaf kids" mentality, and it makes me want to smack people.

Honestly, I don't know how my Deaf friends put up with that attitude; they have infinitely more patience than I do!

So, I'm finding myself in a bit of a pickle. On the one hand, I'm just educated enough to realize how ignorant, offensive and/or condescending hearing people can be in regard to Deaf people. On the other, I'm hearing myself and realize that, hey, I'm super clueless without even meaning to be much of the time, so I'm not one to talk, and don't want to mis-speak.

Due to the latter statement, the following has potential to be offensive, but NONE of it is intentional in case it is.

I want to help these people understand how deeply offensive it is to me (and probably to Deaf people, but I can only genuinely speak for myself) that they hold this attitude, maybe liken it to an attitude they can more easily understand. I realize that probably very little can compare, considering the Deaf status is so unique, but I want to make people understand, maybe even a little more, why it bothers me.

So.. is pitying someone because they're Deaf kind of, sort of, potentially, maybe :)-x If I'm totally wrong, I'm sorry!) offensive on the level of pitying someone because of their skin color, like pitying someone for being black?

Obviously it's nowhere near the same thing, but my reasoning is that, yeah, having been born black would make life in a predominantly white society more difficult; I've observed racism in school places, work places, social settings, TV, media, etc.

I'm trying to decide if this parallels Deafness; if someone's language is ASL in a predominantly oral/spoken word society, yeah, it's probably more difficult. And there's probably no argument that audism runs rampant in schools, work places, social settings, TV, media, etc.

Black people weren't considered people because they were black; Deaf people weren't considered people because they were deaf. All bs, of course. I see some parallels, but being neither black nor Deaf, I worry about stepping on people's toes.

I do know, however, that because black culture is more mainstream than deaf culture (from my perspective, at least), that more people would be appalled with themselves for looking at someone differently for their skin color. If they connected that feeling with how they were thinking about Deaf, I think it might be easier to understand. Maybe. Possibly. Potentially. I'm not sure, but this is my theory.

Is this parallel at all accurate, or am I completely, totally off base?

I apologize if this is at all offensive, again, it's not my intent I'm just trying to find something that might help hearies relate better and faster--I try to explain to them what I've gleaned from months and months of learning from my Deaf professors, but I lack credibility/ethos due to being hearing, not to mention it was a slow process for me, and I'm still unsure of myself. =/

Any insight would be awesome, and thank you!

Hi:wave:

Ignorance definitely plays a major part in misunderstandings and prejudices towards any particular minority, people group, or community. Awareness and education is vital to enhance equality and fairness.

However, no one who is white can fully understand what it is like to be black or visa-versa; nor can any hearing person fully understand what it is like to be HOH/Deaf or visa=versa What we need to focus on is our common ground: Humanity is humanity. We are all human beings with the same human rights and we should all respect each other as such and live in harmony with each other. None is any less or greater than the other.

For me it's not offensive, because I'd rather discuss it than to sweep confusion under the rug or harbor bigotry.

I'm not deaf, definitely mostly hard of hearing. Not by choice.

Once, I was watching a show and a guy was explaining how people were prejudiced against him. I thought it was an interesting statement to make, so I stay tuned in. He said that he felt targeted because 1) he's black 2) he's homosexual. I didn't guess he was gay so that threw me off. But it goes to show that I am a bit prejudiced that I didn't really think about that combination. I was like "that sucks" simply because it is easy to pigeon hole a guy like that. Through American history, blacks have "progressed" from being slaves to 2/5 compromise to whatever it is today (I haven't asked anyone lately). Almost the same sort of pattern for women in regards to the right to vote and employment practices (of course, it's been awhile I've brushed up on job/income/equality materials). It is my hope that we don't discriminate, but I leave room for doubt.

I do find the 1960s and 70s to be a fascinating period for black culture in particular. Usually when a minority group threatens a majority or the elites who hold power, then some of the power is relented to that minority. Basic principle: the stronger the grievances (and organization of minority), the more drastic the response is. That's the beautiful thing about America, I think, is the ability to re-distribute power and wealth when those in power do sense a bigger disturbance in their lives than they are comfortable with.

For me, the same sort of feelings associatied with my hard of hearing and background was (not too long ago) was equated to that of being homosexual (on basis of equality values). At first, I was offended by the idea, but then I started to think about what the speaker was saying. You can't help some of the things you do or what you are, but you can certainly trust people to listen to "unfair" practices against your perceived (or not) disability.

As far as being pitied and how it might be *like* a black person in our society (and where I grew up, I actually wondered if it would've been better to have been black...high income area, but family was somewhat poor and my hearing impairment didn't really level the playing field when I applied to college) I don't think people normally apologize for something they didn't have the option to choose from (black, hearing, deaf, etc). I mean, I'm not going to say "oh pity me because I'm hard of hearing". I question more of my identity because I don't know that many people who are like me (which is to say I probably am more deaf than I am presumed to be).

Be proud of who you are and don't dwell on the disadvantages. In fact, during the Romantics era in Europe (early 19th century), disabled people were treated differently in a very glowing light against "normal" people.

When I was in kindergarten, the teacher actually took my analog hearing aid and passed it around to kids to try it on. The better way to teach others, I think, is to challenge them to try to converse underwater. Then try it while navigating through pit road (single-sided deafness...can't locate sound so it's very stressful to have to rely on your vision for x amount of hours) and it becomes a safety issue. I respect those who do recognize the disadvantages and try to help level the playing field. Meaning, they would fill in the gaps I missed during a social setting, or help warn me in advance for traffic. Some people might call that intrusive or offensive, but really, it shows that the person understands and tries to "correct" the disadvantages- without being overbearing ( I hated it when I got pulled from "mainstream" classes so I could go to a "special" class- I'd much rahter have just done those classes after school).

Last edited:
When I was in kindergarten, the teacher actually took my analog hearing aid and passed it around to kids to try it on. The better way to teach others, I think, is to challenge them to try to converse underwater. Then try it while navigating through pit road (single-sided deafness...can't locate sound so it's very stressful to have to rely on your vision for x amount of hours) and it becomes a safety issue. I respect those who do recognize the disadvantages and try to help level the playing field. Meaning, they would fill in the gaps I missed during a social setting, or help warn me in advance for traffic. Some people might call that intrusive or offensive, but really, it shows that the person understands and tries to "correct" the disadvantages- without being overbearing ( I hated it when I got pulled from "mainstream" classes so I could go to a "special" class- I'd much rahter have just done those classes after school).

Yeah, I remember those 'special' classes and the speech therapy sessions too. Wish they told me I had the option to learn sign language back then.

Yeah, I remember those 'special' classes and the speech therapy sessions too. Wish they told me I had the option to learn sign language back then.

When I was 3-4, I was tested for intelligence and resulted in a much higher than average IQ. I wasn't worried about my intelligence to "survive" but I was more concerned with social rejection than my academics.

While in "special" class, they gave me the basics in ASL. Most of the time (while not learning ASL), I was bored. Also, went to deaf camp so that was good. But when you're in elementary school, some kids will find the differences between each other and make it into some superior/inferior dynamic (which I find as a tool for people to utilize to gain power). While I appreciate the time taken to do some of the extra stuff (I hated the speech "therapy" but I guess I have really good speech), it was a tough stigma to deal with.

Last edited:
Back