trouble taking walks because of no trafic noise..

birdlady

Reaction score
Does anyone have a problem with going for walks and not hearing traffic. My husband gets scared of me going by my self,even with my dog. I dont hear traffic. and have nearly gotten hit.. They almost hit the dog one day.. I have a vest for her and it glows with strips. I was trying to find a way that would help me be a little more independant. I put Lady on the inside way from traffic. We dont have sidewalks.Cars move really fast. Dont want to put up a big sign that says dont hit me.

I ususally turn my hearing aids off when I go for a walk because I hate motocycles and other muscle cars with that noise, so it's easier that way for me. There's a gas station at the end of the street and whether on bike or on foot, cars damn near go straight into me. I just can't get over that people turn and drive without thinking there might be someone walking or riding a bike that could get hit. Weird thing is that act like they're surprised to see me instead of the other way around. My thinking is whether you hear the traffic or not won't stop stupid drivers...and they're out there in numbers.

Laura

I walk a lot alone with my dog at 530 am and sometimes at night. I just dont walk on the streets..Just try to stay on the sidewalk as much as I can which is what people are supposed to do anyway. As for cars veering off the road to hit me on the sidewalk, well...maybe I will be out of luck.

I never think about my hearing loss when I am out walking. I always glance behind me like every 5 mins to keep myself aware of my surroundings. My eyes are my ears, actually.

Well, I don't go for walks where there is a lot of traffic....or no sidewalks......I take my doggie to the Park....where it's just foot traffic and other dogs....She loves it and being around other dog lovers makes me feel really good and somewhat "safe".

And besides, with my balance issue...it would be too dangerous....So feel ur hubby is right to feel you are not safe....and I never take my doggie out at night unless it well-lighted....

I dont go out at night to walk. night blindness. but even at the dog park where we take Lady.The kids on bikes ride the dog walks and scare me.. If I turn really fast I know I can fall. but yeah there are nuts out there even for hearing people.. even in the stores I have had people that think I am stupied wont move. But sorry didnt see you there.. or my husband just takes me by the arm and moves me. He always tells them she cant hear you... he says , to me watch them they need to go by..

I ususally turn my hearing aids off when I go for a walk because I hate motocycles and other muscle cars with that noise, so it's easier that way for me. There's a gas station at the end of the street and whether on bike or on foot, cars damn near go straight into me. I just can't get over that people turn and drive without thinking there might be someone walking or riding a bike that could get hit. Weird thing is that act like they're surprised to see me instead of the other way around. My thinking is whether you hear the traffic or not won't stop stupid drivers...and they're out there in numbers.

Laura
Laura,I can feel the vibration if they are close enough. but yeah the motorcycles are anoying too.

Well, I don't go for walks where there is a lot of traffic....or no sidewalks......I take my doggie to the Park....where it's just foot traffic and other dogs....She loves it and being around other dog lovers makes me feel really good and somewhat "safe".

And besides, with my balance issue...it would be too dangerous....So feel ur hubby is right to feel you are not safe....and I never take my doggie out at night unless it well-lighted....

I agree that it is safer with others around you.I used to go with a cousin and her and I would walk our dogs. Then she would put me on the inside. But now where we live is a retirement comunity where mostly older people live but age has not slowed any of them down .only maid their vision worst..LOL

The park I go to does not allow bikes or skateboarders....it's doggie friendly...perhaps you could find one the same?....And I also take my Rollator (walker) with me. I'm older than you are and very independent just as you too!...

You know I have to do soemthing. I let my husband and son make a lot of the answer decisions for me. LIke talk to DR's and then tell me what they said.. or grocery stores, the cashier is always asking ? .But they are used to me .I dont hear so what are you going to do about it. But dont give me credit for my coupon and I tell them about it..lol...They just laugh, I didnt think it was funny at all.. In fact I thought it was rude ... you see them laughing, what so funny.. my husband shakes his head.,NO he dont sign. neither does my son..

The park I go to does not allow bikes or skateboarders....it's doggie friendly...perhaps you could find one the same?....And I also take my Rollator (walker) with me. I'm older than you are and very independent just as you too!...

I had one of those walkers till one of my neighbors liked it better then me.. lol..

My hearing dog was trained to warn me if a car was near by , wasn't your hearing dog trained to do this too? When I when to train with my dog a car drove by and my dog looked back to let me know a car when by , the car was no near me but my dog still warned me. Finlay would let me know when a person across the street had closed the door to their house . I would let the trainer know your dog need more training , it should be letting you know when a car is near you. it look like your dog is wearing service dog vest so I am thinking it a hearing dog.

I am sorry if i miss spell something,my husband says I am a southern gale with Marbles in my mouth.. I type what I hear..well what I think I hear..

I had one of those walkers till one of my neighbors liked it better then me.. lol..

My insurance paid for mine...and it's so bulky and a little heavy,,,(a pain in the arse sometimes)...but...I use it to make sure I don't fall when having to walk a long distance....Maybe you could look into geting a cane?...I'm thinking about that myself...and of course, when my Balance issue gets worse (if it does)...then I'll get a scooter....

My hearing dog was trained to warn me if a car was near by , wasn't your hearing dog trained to do this too? When I when to train with my dog a car drove by and my dog looked back to let me know a car when by , the car was no near me but my dog still warned me. Finlay would let me know when a person across the street had closed the door to their house . I would let the trainer know your dog need more training , it should be letting you know when a car is near you. it look like your dog is wearing service dog vest so I am thinking it a hearing dog.

Yes she does usually let me know , but when i go for walks I put her on the right side and she usually walks on my left. but she pulls me over to the side of the road. This is a dog that I have trained my self. she is 3 yrs old. she does everything, pick up items pulls doors, all basic comands. heals , leave's it. wont let me get up when my blood sugar is high.. she climbs on me before I have a TIA.. and sleeps beside my bed,lays beside my chair. she is there for me. I couldnt asked for a better friend.. she lets me know when poeple are coming and going. all she wants in return is a bone.. and go everywhere I go..

My insurance paid for mine...and it's so bulky and a little heavy,,,(a pain in the arse sometimes)...but...I use it to make sure I don't fall when having to walk a long distance....Maybe you could look into geting a cane?...I'm thinking about that myself...and of course, when my Balance issue gets worse (if it does)...then I'll get a scooter....

I do have a cane but it seems to throw me off. dont know why.

You know I have to do soemthing. I let my husband and son make a lot of the answer decisions for me. LIke talk to DR's and then tell me what they said.. or grocery stores, the cashier is always asking ? .But they are used to me .I dont hear so what are you going to do about it. But dont give me credit for my coupon and I tell them about it..lol...They just laugh, I didnt think it was funny at all.. In fact I thought it was rude ... you see them laughing, what so funny.. my husband shakes his head.,NO he dont sign. neither does my son..

Well...maybe it's time to learn ASL...and use an interpretor for ur doctor visits and such.....I love my independence...would never give it up.

You do walk facing traffic? Country roads can be bad when there is not enough of a shoulder. I even ride my bicycle facing traffic even though it is illegal, safer for deaf

I have a rollator also. I bought it many years ago and now it has come in very handy since I am starting to walk again.

RR I ordered the "hurrycane" to use hopefully once I start really walking. It stands by itself and folds up nicely. It was only $39 dollars on Amazon. I talked with two people at my physical therapy place who had these canes and both thought they were terrific.

I had a dog that was to be a service dog for me. but it never would do what i needed it to do. I had a lady that had Lady and she had trained her to be a service dog. So I said I would take her and see if she would help me. I had a TIA during the night ,left side went to sleep. lady got up on the bed and woke my husband who called 911. needless to say we have had her every sence. That is why she has a vest.. and yes she is a hearing dog.. sorry that was gruff... I didnt want you to think she couldnt take care of me. I wouldnt trade her for the world.. Walmart stop me and made me show that she could be gentle in their store. she is a real beautiy ,loves people. but she is very attentive for me. nudges me, lets me know if someone comes to close. but never grawls or shows her teeth.. jsut wags her tail.

I have a rollator also. I bought it many years ago and now it has come in very handy since I am starting to walk again.

RR I ordered the "hurrycane" to use hopefully once I start really walking. It stands by itself and folds up nicely. It was only $39 dollars on Amazon. I talked with two people at my physical therapy place who had these canes and both thought they were terrific.

Hay that is great to know.. MY husband was thinking about them too. glad to know.. and very cheap too.

Back