Trouble paying attention in class due to outside noise

shimo

Reaction score
Hi everyone.. I hope it's ok to post about this.

I'm a born-hearing/still-hearing person (audiologist confirmed my hearing was within normal range), and maybe it's because I'm korean/english bilingual but if I'm in an environment with a lot of noise (crowds, noisy bars, high tempo background music, loud equipment, non-standard-American accents) I end up spending so much time decoding what was said that I end up missing out on a lot of what is said.

With small groups of friends it isn't a problem, because they will just text me or I can infer what they are saying based on body language. But in a class I can't ask for the professor to re-explain everything I miss.

Usually class is not a problem for me for listening comprehension because it's fairly quiet, but this one class I have this semester...

I have a huge problem hearing and remembering what the professor is saying because there is loud music being played outside the window. I guess every time this class meets, there is a sports event outside on the field near the building.

So for every time this class meets, I hear not only the professor lecturing but also Lady Gaga echoling loudly outside and being highly highly highly distracting. I'm already trying to understand the professor's dense lecture while decoding what he is saying, but then there is this blaring pop music outside, and then I get severely overwhelmed because I can't tune the music out.

So here is what I think:
1. Could I ask the school to change the classroom? What if there isn't another classroom this class can meet?
2. What can the professor do?
3. What can I do? (I've been trying to sit as close as I can to where the professor stands to lecture, which helps, but sometimes I can't sit close, or he moves around. I also tried out one hearing aid android app hoping that it could filter away outside noise [I have gummy earphones that act like ear plugs], but there is a 1 second lag / it isn't practical because of lag.)

Back