Toshiba?

lovezebras

Reaction score
Does anyone here have a toshiba satellite laptop? Or know about them? I'm thinking of purchasing the toshiba satellie U300 laptop..but i want to make sure i'm making a good buy b4 hand...any comments would be much appreciated!!!Thanks

Im a fan of sony over Toshiba. Although Toshiba does make nice laptops, Sony seems to have better hardware, as well as a better looking screen and case. Sony laptops are also as light if not lighter in weight to the Toshiba laptops as well.

I have a Sony SZ series, and I love it.. Cellular modem, up to 6 hour battery life (seriously.. if you turn off all your hardware you do not need) and really great looks.. it also weighs in at around 4 lbs to boot which is nice..

But, good luck on whatever you buy, and also take a look at some of the extended warranties (or protection agreements as most stores call them). They can be a real life-saver. Only get it if it covers LCD replacement though, if it does not its not worth it. Besides, it also covers "accidental damage." As in, "I ACCIDENTLY, dropped it off my balcony!" "Yes, I would like a new one please!"
:deal:

Toshiba sucks.
Sony Vaio (BluRay, 1080, MANY SEXY STUFF) for $2,000. You won't regret buying a nice Sony laptop.

IMO, Toshiba is ugly name.

Get a Mac, you can get anything what you want, support mac os x and vista in combined.

Does PC GAMES will work in windows vista which it runs in MAC?

My answer is BIGGEST YUP!!!!

Running the vista on boot camp isn't emulator, it's full feature and full speed that require boot up in choice of Mac OS X or Vista.

Recommended to get MacBook Pro because of GeForce 8600M GT, or iMac because of ATI Radeon 2600 HD Pro, even 2400 HD will work so okay.

I'm running the sims 2 (intensive 3-D games) on my mac via boot camp and run so well with small amount of lags, it was bugs from new video driver.

I second getting a Mac. If you compare the hardware with, for example, Dell and a Mac, the prices are almost the same. The problem is, Dell can appear cheaper because they also offer cheap hardware, whereas, with a Mac, the hardware are all high quality. The clincher would be the superior operating system. OS X is much, much better than Vista.

So... wait.. let me get this straight.. you buy a mac.. to run Microsoft OS?.. Why not just get a PC based system?
Fact is.. you can not compare operating systems anymore.. both laptops can run BOTH operating systems.. though with a mac.. you have to buy all of your software.. boot camp..

Mac compared to Sony.. no comparison..

Mac ... Sony
677 FSB ... 800FSB
XXX ... Fast load flash hard drive ... mmm
64mb intel video card .... 1gb Nvidia Gforce 8400M
wireless ... wireless AND cellular card
3hr battery life ... 5+ hr battery life
aluminum ... carbon fiber
password ... Biometrics

hmm.. from here it looks like Sony but.. thats just me!

So... wait.. let me get this straight.. you buy a mac.. to run Microsoft OS?.. Why not just get a PC based system?
Fact is.. you can not compare operating systems anymore.. both laptops can run BOTH operating systems.. though with a mac.. you have to buy all of your software.. boot camp..

Mac compared to Sony.. no comparison..

Mac ... Sony
677 FSB ... 800FSB
XXX ... Fast load flash hard drive ... mmm
64mb intel video card .... 1gb Nvidia Gforce 8400M
wireless ... wireless AND cellular card
3hr battery life ... 5+ hr battery life
aluminum ... carbon fiber
password ... Biometrics

hmm.. from here it looks like Sony but.. thats just me!

Mac can run windows vista or xp and mac os x at FULL speed, no emulator, only you have to boot up to choose on one of OS to run, only require Intel based Mac, not PowerPC like G3, G4 or G5.

I got iMac for better price with decent video card, only compared to GeForce 8400M and bigger hard drive, plus save alot of power. I'm not bother to get PC because it's useless to have 2 computers with different OS, plus you can't run mac os x on PC based but you only can use emulate it, emulate isn't true speed of OS like PearPC. Mac OS X on PearPC is so slower like same speed as G3 iMac but Mac OS X on Intel based Mac is natural and much faster.

Emulate it for OS is fake and not get true speed, plus windows vista or xp aren't emulate on boot camp, just natural and full as PC does.

Boot camp is free.

Run Mac OS X (like PearPC) on Sony laptop is emulator, not natural or full speed.

Mac OS X Leopard maybe wouldn't support PearPC or other emulator then struck with Tiger.

Pacman - wow!

Well, I dont know about Toshiba - but have heard it comes cheap, nothing noteworthy.
I have an Acer Aspire 5684WLMi laptop with NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 with 160GB HDD, and it can grab satellite TV with its own antenna. I even have a remote control for it. The downside is that the battery life is not long if you use full power for the monitor.

Mac can run windows vista or xp and mac os x at FULL speed, no emulator, only you have to boot up to choose on one of OS to run, only require Intel based Mac, not PowerPC like G3, G4 or G5.

I got iMac for better price with decent video card, only compared to GeForce 8400M and bigger hard drive, plus save alot of power. I'm not bother to get PC because it's useless to have 2 computers with different OS, plus you can't run mac os x on PC based but you only can use emulate it, emulate isn't true speed of OS like PearPC. Mac OS X on PearPC is so slower like same speed as G3 iMac but Mac OS X on Intel based Mac is natural and much faster.

Emulate it for OS is fake and not get true speed, plus windows vista or xp aren't emulate on boot camp, just natural and full as PC does.

Boot camp is free.

Run Mac OS X (like PearPC) on Sony laptop is emulator, not natural or full speed.

Mac OS X Leopard maybe wouldn't support PearPC or other emulator then struck with Tiger.

Eh, No..

You can run OSX on a sony!.. or any other laptop.. OSX86 ... quick and easy mod on OSX to have it run dual boot or by its lonesome on any non-mac laptop

I know Mac can boot Vista or OSX.. why? because Mac has intel chips now..

Non-Macs can boot Vista or OSX.. why? because non-macs have intel chips too!!

emulators just allow you to run an operating system inside another.. like boot camp.. or windowsX..

but this is getting into a mac vs. pc debate..which I don't like.. now that mac has gone to intel chips.. there is nothing seperating itself other than its looks from the rest of the pack.. and they are catching up in the looks department.. Mac's are over-priced lust items.. Steve Jobs has done a wonderful job at promoting apple products into the latest "cool items" .. but their reliability is no better than any other product out there.. but they charge a premium for the name!

Eh, No..

You can run OSX on a sony!.. or any other laptop.. OSX86 ... quick and easy mod on OSX to have it run dual boot or by its lonesome on any non-mac laptop

I know Mac can boot Vista or OSX.. why? because Mac has intel chips now..

Non-Macs can boot Vista or OSX.. why? because non-macs have intel chips too!!

emulators just allow you to run an operating system inside another.. like boot camp.. or windowsX..

but this is getting into a mac vs. pc debate..which I don't like.. now that mac has gone to intel chips.. there is nothing seperating itself other than its looks from the rest of the pack.. and they are catching up in the looks department.. Mac's are over-priced lust items.. Steve Jobs has done a wonderful job at promoting apple products into the latest "cool items" .. but their reliability is no better than any other product out there.. but they charge a premium for the name!

Nah, you don't understand about between true OS and emulator, both of them are different.

Boot camp isn't emulator, it's run windows in full speed as own system when boot up into different OS, plus require create other partition in hard drive or create other internal hard drive (Mac Pro), that's not emulator, period.
Apple - Boot Camp
Boot Camp & - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On Sony laptop, you are running mac os x under emulator like OSX86, seriously, no kidding and that's define as illegal from Apple like CherryOS is gone, Apple is just want run mac os x on mac based computers, not PC and PearPC is illegal too, every emulators that run mac os x is illegal on PC, seriously and Apple can be taking care of it, even more sercurity on next version of leopard, even run mac os x on PC is part of hacked, plus means illegal wouldn't take you into trouble, though. Both of PearPC and OSX86 are same thing as emulator.

If want on legal, you can't run mac os x on PC based, including Dell, Sony, HP, eMachine, Alienware, only exclusive to Apple, that it.

I'm going to bring someone to explain so clearly about how boot camp looks like that.

Use windows on boot camp is approved by MS, when MS allowed Apple to do it.

Again, boot camp isn't emulator, just run at natively as require restart.

PearPC, OSX86 and Virtual PC (emulator to run windows on PowerPC based mac) are emulator that wouldn't give full performance, plus virtual PC is legal and created by MS since PearPC and OSX86 is illegal, plus run windows xp on virtual PC is so slower and run mac os x tiger on PearPC is slower like G3 iMac, again, illegal means wouldn't make you in trouble, don't worry.

Boot camp for Mac is just same as run Linux on PC based in native and full speed, when require boot up.

Parallel desktop is good example of emulator to run windows on mac without need boot up, that's emulator as well.

Last edited:
umm.. I know differences between emulators and OS

So, are you able to run windows without Bootcamp?... No? hmm.. so.. what makes apple able to use windows on its own, without another program?

OSX86 is not an emulator.. it is a mod forum for OSX.. they help with people wanting to port OSX over to a non-apple computer

When you speak of legality.. I bought OSX 10.4.. I can do with it what I want..

But, its not that I use OSX much anyways.. XP does everything I want it do do..

^^ for support and reliabity...you would be better off with a real Mac. You're just a tinkerer and woudn't care much about reliabity and price. Average user doesn't wants to install OS X on a PC and run it for a long time, you would have spotty issues on support and reliabity. Who wants to deal with tech support with a PC running OS X, the chances are slim! Let's stick with a Mac running OS X, period.

So, guys please get back to topic and talk about what the creator of the thread wants to discuss about.

umm.. I know differences between emulators and OS

So, are you able to run windows without Bootcamp?... No? hmm.. so.. what makes apple able to use windows on its own, without another program?

OSX86 is not an emulator.. it is a mod forum for OSX.. they help with people wanting to port OSX over to a non-apple computer

When you speak of legality.. I bought OSX 10.4.. I can do with it what I want..

But, its not that I use OSX much anyways.. XP does everything I want it do do..

Yup, you can run windows without boot camp but require virtual like parallel desk or fusion, plus you can run windows on powerpc based mac (G3 to G5) under virtual desktop from MS.

FYI, OSX86 is new to me because I haven't hear about it, that kinda surprised me, I only know about PearPC, plus no tech support or reliable, only better to buy real mac like seq said.

Back to topic, PM me if you need reply it.

ok so i didn't get the toshiba and i didn't get a mac either, I needed a reliable laptop 4 school, so i got an HP its a 12 cell batt, 14.1 inch dual core processor, comes with remote too and its fast...and not too heavy! thanks for all the info tho..sorry it caused a fight:pissed:

^^ cool, congrats on your purchase on the new laptop. :)

I have Acer Aspire 5040 Wlmi that have AMD Turion 64, 60GB hdd, Wireless, Ethernet and Phone modem ports, 4 USB 2.0, and 1 SVGA port (for external monitor).

It's so so. Battery life is short (1 1/2 hr) cuz I have 15.4 WXGA wide screen (It dims when I unplug the charger but not dim enuf. I had to dim down till it stopped. I still can see screen fine). It have great customer support. The first day I got the laptop. Slim drive DVD RW konked out and I called and they sent me box and I put it in box and mailed it. They fixed it under warranty and mailed back and it ran like charm. It had few hardware issue (CPU overheating due to covered fan port underneath causing error message popping up while running Windows). Luckily I got it free from my friend that I helped selling item in Ebay. Whew!!!

I would go for smaller 13inch or 12inch LCD screen Dell or HP laptops. But I would rather go for different brand like Gigabyte, Asus or any High Quality motherboard manufacturer name that sells Laptop too. They have high quality hardwares and would works with Linux very well. Dell currently offer Ubuntu for it's laptop in Europe now.

Back