told I need hearing aids, can I ask a few questions?

airforcefamily

Reaction score
Hi! Is it ok to ask some questions here?

I've been having trouble with not understanding words and needing people to repeat things as well as hearing ringing in my ears. My ENT recommended having a hearing test. It was today and the audiologist said hearing aids would be helpful for me. I know nothing about hearing aids (other than what I've read here in the past hour!). She said phonak audeo q would be best. She gave me a phamplet so I can pick a color and call back tomorrow, brown to match my hair was suggested. She opened the phamplet and pointed to a q90 section and said that was the one I would get. She also went over a chart with my hearing mapped out in blue and red. She showed me how I can hear low frequency sounds normally, then I have a dip around 1k where I can only hear 40 decibels and up, then it goes back up closer to 30 before dipping back down. The lowest one was the highest frequency which was 60 decibels.

Ok, now for the questions.

Should I just go with this hearing aid and not stress about trying to pick one myself when I'm not really sure what to look for?
(We live in a semi rural area without many options and I have to take at least the baby with me everywhere, sometimes a few of the older kids as well, so driving hours away would be difficult. There is one ther audiologist in town, they sell simens and phonak brands, possibly others as well; the one I went to sells phonak and resound and I think a few others).

She asked of I have an iPhone and/or iPad, which I do, and said the hearing aid she was recommending will link to them if I'd like. Now I'm reading this function requires wearing something around your neck (a no go with curious little kids on my lap all day). Is this correct? Are there other options?

I'm concerned she's selling more than I need. Does this seem to be the case or is what she is recommending sound right for me?
(After reading posts here I've realized I'm very, very fortunate that our insurance covers 100% of everything, including accessories and batteries. The cost is a non issue, no matter which one I pick, but I don't think it's right for them to pick up the tab for something I don't really need)

Does the size matter? She held this small, white, shaped plastic card up to my ear and seemed surprised I am "a zero". What does this mean? Is it relevant to choosing a hearing aid?

A seemingly insignificant question but.... would it be weird for an adult to have purple hearing aids? They're fun and I don't exactly have to look professional when I'm home changing diapers!

Some info about me I'm not sure matters or not:
I'm fairly young (barely 30) and I'd like to think tech savvy, she was talking about how many people don't understand all the features but I don't think that would be an issue for me (at least I hope not).
I stay home with my kids, I'm around little kids more or less all day and every day.
I'm moderately active, I exercise but don't run marathons or anything.
Our insurance allows a new set every three years.
We move frequently so I'm not concerned with building a long term relationship a particular audiologist and I need something that is relatively common and could be serviced by someone else.

I think that's it, sorry this was so long. Thanks for your help!

The hearing aid recommended is very good and should have room to adjust if you need more power later.

Yes you are very lucky it is covered, and no it isn't weird to have colored hearing aids.

I know a guy in his seventies who has camo casings on his hearing aids, although I don't think Phonak offers that. Not that you would want camo.

The hearing aid recommended is very good and should have room to adjust if you need more power later.

Yes you are very lucky it is covered, and no it isn't weird to have colored hearing aids.

I know a guy in his seventies who has camo casings on his hearing aids, although I don't think Phonak offers that. Not that you would want camo.

I know a guy in his in 50's that has light blue HA . Mine are purple and it does not match my hair.

The Phonak hearing aids are good products. And just be straight with your audiologist and tell her you don't want any extras if you don't want them. It's not absolutely necessary to get extras to use the bluetooth with the iphone/phone/whatever. It's up to you. I think the audiologist is just letting you know of other options/accessories available, should you choose to want to get them in addition to your hearing aids. But definitely not a must have.

As for colored hearing aids, if purple is what you want to get, go for it! I have a red hearing aid, and there are plenty of adults on these forums with colored hearing aids. Nothing wrong with wanting colored hearing aids, colors are not just for kids! :)

I've been having trouble with not understanding words and needing people to repeat things as well as hearing ringing in my ears. My ENT recommended having a hearing test. It was today and the audiologist said hearing aids would be helpful for me. I know nothing about hearing aids (other than what I've read here in the past hour!). She said phonak audeo q would be best. She gave me a phamplet so I can pick a color and call back tomorrow, brown to match my hair was suggested. She opened the phamplet and pointed to a q90 section and said that was the one I would get. She also went over a chart with my hearing mapped out in blue and red. She showed me how I can hear low frequency sounds normally, then I have a dip around 1k where I can only hear 40 decibels and up, then it goes back up closer to 30 before dipping back down. The lowest one was the highest frequency which was 60 decibels.

Should I just go with this hearing aid and not stress about trying to pick one myself when I'm not really sure what to look for?
(We live in a semi rural area without many options and I have to take at least the baby with me everywhere, sometimes a few of the older kids as well, so driving hours away would be difficult. There is one ther audiologist in town, they sell simens and phonak brands, possibly others as well; the one I went to sells phonak and resound and I think a few others).

She asked of I have an iPhone and/or iPad, which I do, and said the hearing aid she was recommending will link to them if I'd like. Now I'm reading this function requires wearing something around your neck (a no go with curious little kids on my lap all day). Is this correct? Are there other options?

I'm concerned she's selling more than I need. Does this seem to be the case or is what she is recommending sound right for me?
(After reading posts here I've realized I'm very, very fortunate that our insurance covers 100% of everything, including accessories and batteries. The cost is a non issue, no matter which one I pick, but I don't think it's right for them to pick up the tab for something I don't really need)

Does the size matter? She held this small, white, shaped plastic card up to my ear and seemed surprised I am "a zero". What does this mean? Is it relevant to choosing a hearing aid?

A seemingly insignificant question but.... would it be weird for an adult to have purple hearing aids? They're fun and I don't exactly have to look professional when I'm home changing diapers!

I'm fairly young (barely 30) and I'd like to think tech savvy, she was talking about how many people don't understand all the features but I don't think that would be an issue for me (at least I hope not).
I stay home with my kids, I'm around little kids more or less all day and every day.
We move frequently so I'm not concerned with building a long term relationship a particular audiologist and I need something that is relatively common and could be serviced by someone else.

I would back away from this person just to take a look at your options. If this person trying to selling you something, and she/he isn't near you, you shouldn't be dealing with her/him. If it's a long drive and you need an adjustment to the aids, this will be a chore for you to make the appointments. Look local. Are you near a Costco? Look at someone of the hearing aid centers near you and see what they sell: Widex, Phonak are the more popular brands and both are good, but Costco may offer more options and be more convenient for you, so look around and see if you can do a trial run with a brand before you commit.

Write down all of your concerns and take that with you when you go shopping for a hearing aid, that way the seller and you can narrow down your best options. Whatever you do, buy local. I bought my former hearing aids far away and never again. It's nice having people close by to help.

Laura

I would back away from this person just to take a look at your options. If this person trying to selling you something, and she/he isn't near you, you shouldn't be dealing with her/him. If it's a long drive and you need an adjustment to the aids, this will be a chore for you to make the appointments. Look local. Are you near a Costco? Look at someone of the hearing aid centers near you and see what they sell: Widex, Phonak are the more popular brands and both are good, but Costco may offer more options and be more convenient for you, so look around and see if you can do a trial run with a brand before you commit.

Write down all of your concerns and take that with you when you go shopping for a hearing aid, that way the seller and you can narrow down your best options. Whatever you do, buy local. I bought my former hearing aids far away and never again. It's nice having people close by to help.

Laura

I was going to someone in another town , it was not that far but it was a pain going there just to get a tube fixed . I now go to someone about 5 minutes from my home. It cheaper on gas too.

Hello! Congrats on the hearing aids! Getting to pick a color is really fun. I'm twenty one and I have red hearing aids that are clear so you can see the insides- and purple earmolds since purple wasn't an option for me on the hearing aid. As for functionality- ask for a trial before you buy! That way you can try some different kinds and see what you like and don't like. I went on trial with I think three kinds before I picked what I have. I use a remote around my neck to sync to my iPhone, but not as much as I thought I would- if you bump it by accident sometimes it makes phone calls. It's really nice when listening to music because it syncs right to your aides. I use that function when I'm cleaning or working out :)

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

Thank you for all the replies! I'm going to the other local place today to see what they recommend. It's so nice to read the colors aren't weird for an adult! My husband is thinking the brown or beige ones would be best but I just feel sort of, I don't know, sad looking at them. They don't seem that big anyway and I have long, thick hair that I could wear down to all but completely hide them if we had a formal occasion come up.

Are these going to be behind the ear or in the ear?

Mine are all in the ear (half-shell) and tinted in flesh color (brown) to match my skin color.

When I was little (60s and 70s) ,hearing aids only came in pink which I found quite annoying and a little too obvious.

Whether you match your hair color,skin color,or otherwise,it's up to you

She said the behind the ear ones wold be best. What she showed me was a little plastic piece with a tube from it to a little soft piece that fits in your ear.

Ordered the purple ones! I wasn't sure but I've convinced myself I'll feel like an old lady with brown ones.

I ordered mine in as close to white as I could get because I like to put nail stickers on them, and I can use whatever color. I just got a glitter ear mold, you probably will have the tulip kind though. I also hang jewelry from the tubing. I think I can pull it out of my ear and take a pic of it now. I need to put new stickers on it, most fell off, only one left on it now.

Oh, and I'm 39........going on 27.
ImageUploadedByAllDeaf1395253315.349047.jpg

I ordered mine in as close to white as I could get because I like to put nail stickers on them, and I can use whatever color. I just got a glitter ear mold, you probably will have the tulip kind though. I also hang jewelry from the tubing. I think I can pull it out of my ear and take a pic of it now. I need to put new stickers on it, most fell off, only one left on it now.

Oh, and I'm 39........going on 27.
View attachment 20512

I like that! But would feel lopsided if I would try it as I only wear one aid (left ear is no response).

I like that! But would feel lopsided if I would try it as I only wear one aid (left ear is no response).

I only wear one too, but I definitely decorate it. I just kind of ignore the useless side.

That's so cute! I like the idea of not hiding them and really owning it. I saw white ones and thought they were for people with white hair, never would have thought to use them as a blank canvas.

Meh. Lol I have one fir my left ear as well, but I don't wear it much. It doesn't really do me any good and it tickles my ear drum. That ear is profound to no response. If I remember right the audio gram for it was 100db at 250 hz 110db at 500hz and stayed at 110 (probably me not responding?) until 6.5k or 8, well whatever the highest is it goes back up to 100db.

Thanks!! :) I had beads on the tubes as well at one point.

Back