Tips for meetings with hearies

nicegirl

Reaction score
Could someone please help me with tips for being in a classroom or meeting with hearies.

I always tell them I am deaf when I first meet but it seems they just revert to their rude behaviors of talking all at the same time, turning their head, talking to my back, and covering their mouth with their hand or paper.

In this one class for business, the teacher is very patronising to me. She had the nerve to ask me why I wasn't asking questions and being so quiet.

I said because I can't understand what is going on most of the time. She doesn't realise that she is contributing to me being left out. Shouting and talking to me like an idiot isn't helping any either. I am so exhausted by the end of the day.

I learned the ASL alphabet as a kid but that is as far as I go and my hearing aids are stolen and waiting for the new ones. Auslan is the language hear and I am willing to learn it.

What should I say to them?

Could someone please help me with tips for being in a classroom or meeting with hearies.

I always tell them I am deaf when I first meet but it seems they just revert to their rude behaviors of talking all at the same time, turning their head, talking to my back, and covering their mouth with their hand or paper.

In this one class for business, the teacher is very patronising to me. She had the nerve to ask me why I wasn't asking questions and being so quiet.

I said because I can't understand what is going on most of the time. She doesn't realise that she is contributing to me being left out. Shouting and talking to me like an idiot isn't helping any either. I am so exhausted by the end of the day.

I learned the ASL alphabet as a kid but that is as far as I go and my hearing aids are stolen and waiting for the new ones. Auslan is the language hear and I am willing to learn it.

What should I say to them?

You should contact a disability liaison at the school and make an appointment to sit down with her and the contact to discuss your issues. Sometimes they need a third person to spell it out for them. See if the disability contact can arrange for a note taker and be vocal in class when people start up with habits that make it hard for you to follow.

Laura

Back