Tinnitus with Profound Deafness

WiredUnique

Reaction score
I'm completely deaf (late-deafened) with 0% hearing left (even with HAs) but I still have the tinnitus that I've had all my life. It almost seems worse now. I believe that's because I can't drown it out with any other sounds. Does anyone else have tinnitus while being completely stone deaf? If so, are there ways to deal with it or is it just something to deal with? As I said, I've had it all my life or at least as long as I can remember but if there was a way to lessen it a bit, I would be more than grateful.

:ty:

I find that my loud tinnitus becomes more quiet if I rest more often. I take naps when my day is not so busy. I've also noticed that having less coffee, or soda pop such as Pepsi or Coke helps to lessen the sounds too. Basically anything you can do to stay calm should work. Well, at least for me it works but I hope this helps you also. Let me know if it does.

Sincerely,
Royce

Welcome to my world and the world of a lot of us. Some audi's say that the tinnitus is due to the lack of hearing, but I know people with perfect hearing and still have tinnitus daily. I have always found it to be a fact of life. What will get fun and very annoying is if the tinnitus changes to music. It's one thing to hear a song you grew up with, but it's another when you have 2 of them going side by side. Try this one on for size, Sammy Hagar's "I can't Drive 55" on one side and Barney the children's purple dinosaur singing his song "I Love You". Or have a song play over and over and over for 3 weeks constantly. That was "Amazing Grace".

When I had perfect hearing (I had very sensitive hearing) I had tinnitus but I was able to drown it out most of the time. Usually it was actually the sensitive hearing that bugged me because I could hear a ticking clock on a different floor with the door shut. Now it's the tinnitus rather than the sounds that bug me. I do have musical tinnitus as well but usually it's just the normal buzzing, beeping, and all that fun stuff.

I had very sensitive hearing until I became deaf so in the past it was the sound sensitivity that bothered me. I was able to hear a clock ticking on a different floor with the doors shut or hear every word people whispered while I was in a sound proof room. Now it's the tinnitus that bothers me. I too have musical tinnitus, though most of the time it’s just the normal beeping, buzzing, and all that good stuff. At one point I actually had an Audi recommend using a tinnitus masker. :shock: Something tells me she wasn’t listening very well (no pun intended). I remember when I was 10 I got my tonsils out and my ENT told me that would fix the tinnitus but obviously that didn’t work. I was just curious if anyone found anything that actually worked when you have no hearing left to mask out the sound.

I can see your problem as the most common strategy for dealing with tinnitus is to mask it with an external sound. This is one of the ways I cope with my own tinnitus. So you must get very frustrated! :mad:

My other major strategy is how I focus my mind. I'm learning to find things that totally capture my attention, such as reading a brilliant book and to be directing all my thoughts onto something that's not linked to my tinnitus. I like comics, so instead of casually reading a comic, I will carefully look at each drawing, the use of colour (or blacks), the composition of panels on each page, etc. It's hard work at times, and sometimes it just isn't possible to ignore the tinnitus, but when it does work, it's a welcome escape from those annoying noises.

Hope this helps. You have my sympathy as tinnitus drives me nuts at times! :mad2:

I can see your problem as the most common strategy for dealing with tinnitus is to mask it with an external sound. This is one of the ways I cope with my own tinnitus. So you must get very frustrated! :mad:

My other major strategy is how I focus my mind. I'm learning to find things that totally capture my attention, such as reading a brilliant book and to be directing all my thoughts onto something that's not linked to my tinnitus. I like comics, so instead of casually reading a comic, I will carefully look at each drawing, the use of colour (or blacks), the composition of panels on each page, etc. It's hard work at times, and sometimes it just isn't possible to ignore the tinnitus, but when it does work, it's a welcome escape from those annoying noises.

Hope this helps. You have my sympathy as tinnitus drives me nuts at times! :mad2:

i handle my tinnitus in similar way, really focus but also have some variety sooo, i keep the week simple like 1 day i do this the next day I Do this instead, i make the week interesting and positive in so doing this give me mental strength to look in life, so busy that i refuse to take noice of the ear noise...but it still comes back nevertheless but not as loud, not as 'out of control' because I have kind of already mentally mute/block some of the worst tinnitus and instead by compromise 'welcoming the more plensent 'music' if you will and just tell myself its 'mood' and get busy and soon id forget it....\

not easy at all i have it real bad too

just find inner strength (tai chi helps), and find excuses to really focus but on something thats easy and simple and pleasureble to focus on
(good pressure is also good, thats what i did paving in my own backyard...)

cheers

I've got tinnitus and hear phantom sounds, too. Produced by the brain not ears.

Some human clinical trials going on now to stimulate the vagus nerve in the brain to stop tinnitus:

Tinnitus treatment: Rebooting the brain helps stop the ring of tinnitus in rats

It worked on rats, although I'm not sure how the researchers can tell. Next, the researchers will try it on humans. Looks like it holds some promise. I'll let them try it out on someone else first. lol

Back