Tinnitus Problem and Cochlear Implant

cammomile

Reaction score
I have met a cochlear audiologist many days ago. She's not just an audiologist, but also an ENT. A very great doctor I have ever met! I love this doctor! There I got the answer about my tinnitus that has been disturbing me over the years since my childhood, and not even know what the cause is.

She said, we have hair cell in the cochlea. In normal haircell, they vibrate if there's sounds comes to our ear. But if the haircell is damaged, it's not only affect our hearing, that can not hear the sound, because the haircell can't get the sounds. But also, the haircell would vibrates by themselves even if there's no sounds come to our ear. This is what the cause of the tinnitus.

Then, I am thinking. If we get cochlear implant, that damaged almost all our haircell by the array, then, will the tinnitus even get worse?

Before I got the fact about the cause of tinnitus, I had got an answer from a friend in India, who told me that she still have her tinnitus while she's not wearing her processor in the night, but when she wears her processor back in the morning, the tinnitus is not that bad.

Then, I'd like to know if you have tinnitus and cochlear implant, how's your tinnitus progress after you have got your cochlear implant?
And I also really want to know, do all hearing impaired and deaf have tinnitus?

I'm just someone from a country that English is not my main language, so, I'm sorry if there's so many mistakes in my writing. I do really want to communicate with you all, because I do care about hearings as well as you. I do hope, there would be more cochlear implant users in my country.
Thank you!

Before I got the fact about the cause of tinnitus, I had got an answer from a friend in India, who told me that she still have her tinnitus while she's not wearing her processor in the night, but when she wears her processor back in the morning, the tinnitus is not that bad.

Then, I'd like to know if you have tinnitus and cochlear implant, how's your tinnitus progress after you have got your cochlear implant?
And I also really want to know, do all hearing impaired and deaf have tinnitus?

I am profoundly deaf and has been since birth, I do suffer from tinnitus, it was awful during my teens due to lack of sleep, stress of exams, and too much caffeine, since I have grown up, it had improved a little but not enough not to notice with HA hence white noise all the time. For 2 years since I had the implant, it's a lot better as the implant over powers the white noise (tinnitus) and I am able to hear clearer although I still get them when my CI is off.

This is down how well you would use your implant, wear it well and attends therapy frequently.

To answer your main concern, almost all folks with a CI fit into one of three categories in regard to tinnitus.

1) Tinnitus remains more or less the same.
2) There is some reduction in tinnitus.
3) No longer has any tinnitus.

I'm in the 3rd category. Prior to my CI, I had mild tinnitus.

I have never heard of anybody with a CI have it worst after they are fairly healed up after surgery. It has been documented that during the healing phase that tinnitus can flare up.

Not all deaf have tinnitus. In fact, most deaf don't have it. It is much more likely for a person who has some hearing to have the most trouble with it.

Back