Think daughter is audist...

EMOTIONAL BLACKMAIL!!! Yes!! That is *exactly* how it feels. It's a sensitive area for me and my kids know this. An area where, with them, maybe have not found 'voice' (not speaking voice) but, in this case, I feel *have* to be stern on.

Boy oh boy, Shel, feel *SO* much what you go through right now. :hug:

It feels like that because that is what it is.

Do you think there's any possibility that she might be feeling overwhelmed with her college classes, and asking her to learn ASL right now might feel to her like more of a time commitment than she can realistically give?

You said she knew some, so I guess she has some foundation in it, is that right?

Definite possibility! :ty: Yes! She text me how overwhelm she feel and that she stress and miss Mummy. Could be that she interpret my request to being, "Hey, I know you have heavy school load but, what the heck, learn new language or I won't talk to you anymore with voice."

And, yes, she knows lots of ASL already but seem to stop about 2 years ago.

Broken English? Your English seems fine to me.

:ty: This make me teary.

I can only thank Microsoft for 'grammar' check because at work it is especially difficult given my position and profession. It takes *forever* for me to write proper email or letter. Do not ever want to be seen as idjit to colleagues. Even here, if *know* hearie replying to will *still* try hard to reply with English. Silly probably. :hmm:

But, with family and friends, I do not try so hard. This is me. Personal Rebecca. Professional Rebecca do not really have choice because need support kids so will do what have to do for them.

Daughter *always* correct my speech to point where sometimes feel at speech therapy. :eek3: Think next time she do that will tell her to *STOP* doing that!

I can only thank Microsoft for 'grammar' check because at work it is especially difficult given my position and profession. It takes *forever* for me to write proper email or letter. Do not ever want to be seen as idjit to colleagues. Even here, if *know* hearie replying to will *still* try hard to reply with English. Silly probably. :hmm:

But, with family and friends, I do not try so hard. This is me. Personal Rebecca. Professional Rebecca do not really have choice because need support kids so will do what have to do for them.

Daughter *always* correct my speech to point where sometimes feel at speech therapy. :eek3: Think next time she do that will tell her to *STOP* doing that!
I can relate to you on this one. I'm quite compulsive about correcting my own grammar and I will go and edit my own posts when I spot a grammar mistake.
One of my pet peeves when it comes to speech corrections is that, the conservation seems to end right after my speech is corrected.

FYI, I wasn't suggesting that. I didn't even like hearing it myself - it always sounded (and still does) pointless.

But I do like the idea of hitting her in the pocket book. *You're* paying the cell phone bill so *she* can communicate with you, right?

It won't take her much time to learn some basic words and fingerspelling... :giggle: especially if her cell phone suddenly dies and she has more free time!

YES! Pay for cell phone, too! Son and daughter *both* have unlimited text in Canada so no reason not to text or email.

Plus, should mention, she *already* know many ASL signs.

Same! Sorry AD, you get lazy text from me too, lol.

No.

But if she genuinely does not understand how deafness affects you - and how it might potentially affect her - then it might be a good idea to make an appointment with an audiologist or perhaps a medical doctor specializing in hearing issues, *for her,* so the expert can explain any genetic issues with hearing loss (that might affect her or her children), your need to have good communication, and so on.

That might be idea. Just challenge since she now live in different city. Would have to make appointment for when she is in town but I *like* that. Honestly? Would prefer she have sitdown with Jillio. :giggle: Do not really trust audist-ologists.

^^^No. Not fair at all to ask. You shouldn't need to prove it to her with a doctor's audiogram or even a note from your mother.

:giggle: Be difficult since my mother is now in an urn.

:giggle: Be difficult since my mother is now in an urn.

It's a funny line I use for my water aerobics class members (mostly women in their 70's and 80's) when they say they need to leave early. "Do you have a note from your mother?" It's good for a chuckle!

^^^FYI, I love your grammar - (proper or not)! It's very unique - very signature Rebecca!

Her learning ASL because it will improve communication with her mother should be the goal. Not challenging her mother to produce an audiogram.

I agree. At this point feel *should* just get the bloody thing done so can prove deafness. Speak with boyfriend about and express to him how much *HATE* that test. Feel claustrophic in booth. Feel pressure to become 'hearie' when they discover severe/profound deaf because they think *need* this technology or that.

Fine the way I am. *HATE* doctor since spend so much time there as child. Her asking me to see audiologist is like asking me to cut open a well stitched up wound.

Kids give mom more crap because they know that they can show mom their worst side and mom will still love them. That's when mom has to model standing up for herself and setting appropriate boundaries. This is how kids learn about relationships.

Give her the inter-generational curse: I hope that one day you have a child just like you.

"Think there must be a solution here that she and I can live with and not have me catering to her. Been doing that my whole f-ing life and sick of it now." (post #100)

Maybe you answered your own question? :shrug: Mother/daughter relationships can be tricky at the best of times. After many years you are opening up to a different type of lifestyle, seeking positive changes for yourself. Also daughter is going through positive changes for herself but maybe just wants the consistency of how things were at home and with you in amongst all the changes going on. The comfortable anchor in the storm? Maybe she is afraid of changing how things worked between the two of you?

Wow! :ty: This actually *hit* me to stomach. We have *never* have typical mother/daughter relationship. We always *get* each other and love being in each other company (except when she have friends over for party:laugh2:).

This could be situation where she feel, how say, *too* many change in life. Want some semblance of routine and Mummy is most stable routine for her. Mummy = anchor. That make sense given what she have text me lots lately. I will add to list I am compiliing for out conversation. I have '9' things to discuss now. :ty:

Re-read your reply and just want to thank you. :hug: Make a lot of sense to me.

Back