Thieves exploit phone system for the deaf

Auto Zone

Yeah, that auto zone call was pretty much on target. What really sucks is that there are days, from the moment that I clock in at work until the moment that I clock out, those are the ONLY calls that I will get in a single day. On a typical Monday, there will be 10 or 11 of those calls right in a row, then I might get a legit call, then 10 or 12 more back to back, then a legit call. Everyone has little ways of messing them up though (well I should say most everyone). Although the companies make it harder all of the time with their ridiculous rules, there are loopholes. I look at it this way, if I am going to get fired for not trying to aid scammers, so be it.

Yeah, that auto zone call was pretty much on target. What really sucks is that there are days, from the moment that I clock in at work until the moment that I clock out, those are the ONLY calls that I will get in a single day. On a typical Monday, there will be 10 or 11 of those calls right in a row, then I might get a legit call, then 10 or 12 more back to back, then a legit call. Everyone has little ways of messing them up though (well I should say most everyone). Although the companies make it harder all of the time with their ridiculous rules, there are loopholes. I look at it this way, if I am going to get fired for not trying to aid scammers, so be it.

THAT many a dAY???? Oh man. Wish u can whisper "Hey u scammers..go look at yourselves in a mirror and ask yourselves how good u really feel. Probably dont have any self-worth. "

Unfortunately, that many a day

Yeah on some days it can be really bad. 90 percent of the time when I type to them ( RO HERE PLEASE HOLD FOR SUPERVISOR ASSISTANCE) they hang up immediately. Once or twice, I have lost my temper and typed ( RO HERE I AM GOING TO INFORM THE CALLER THAT YOU ARE A FRAUD) GA They always hang up immediately. For a long time (before the companies got really strict ) alot of operators used to play with the bkgd noises, i.e. ( sounds like scammer on the phone ) or sometimes ( sounds like rip off happening on the phone). I remember one, that I used to use alot was (sounds like fraud ).( sounds like scam) It worked every time. Alot of businesses seem to have gotten hip to what is happening. Many times, I have gotten calls that when the business answers the phone they will say " Sorry don't take these calls there all fraud calls,". When I type that to the scammers, they hang up. The bad thing, is that the scammers seem to work on particular items ( some days I will have a million calls to jewelry stores, auto parts stores, etc.). This makes it difficult for deaf people to get simple things done. I have had lots of people trying to schedule oil changes and such with car dealerships, and when I get a person on the phone, they will say " Sorry, we have had fifty relay calls in the past month and all have been frauds,". They hang up without listening to anything else that I might have to say. I have had deaf people call stores that want to make inquiries about items and can't get through because the stores will say "Oh, I have had some relay calls before and they are fraud calls,". There has got to be a way to put a stop to these scumbags fraud callers. I remember, a few months ago, when the company used to have these little sessions, where they would randomly pull people off of the floor and ask them questions about their job, they asked me " What do you not like about your job?," My answer was " I hate and despise these fraud calls,". The person asking the questions said " We have asked about thirty different operators the same question and they have all said the same exact thing,".

Boy are the scammers despicable and real assholes... can't believe there are so many assholes out there taking advantage of the relay services. I've had to drive over to a bookstore 30 min from where I live just to request if they had a book (and no they didn't) because they refused to even stop and listen without hanging up despite up to 8 attempts. They simply quit picking up the phone after 4 attempts. When I showed up, they were alarmed to know it was an actual deaf person and I had to explain the difference between IP relay and TTY calls because they were asking me why they couldn't trace my number. They said they'd received scam calls before through the relay. They gave me a $10 book gift certificate and notified all their bookstores in the state. I simply gave the book gift certificate to my grandmother for her birthday.

Boy are the scammers despicable and real assholes... can't believe there are so many assholes out there taking advantage of the relay services. I've had to drive over to a bookstore 30 min from where I live just to request if they had a book (and no they didn't) because they refused to even stop and listen without hanging up despite up to 8 attempts. They simply quit picking up the phone after 4 attempts. When I showed up, they were alarmed to know it was an actual deaf person and I had to explain the difference between IP relay and TTY calls because they were asking me why they couldn't trace my number. They said they'd received scam calls before through the relay. They gave me a $10 book gift certificate and notified all their bookstores in the state. I simply gave the book gift certificate to my grandmother for her birthday.

Yes... I can understand that. I have done that several times. I like that look... "Oh crap... that was really him on the phone."

Sometimes I get something free in return.

I must admit. I have mis-used IP relay. I said stupid stuff and they said it. I'm truley sorry to anyone who is affended. I have matured and now I know how wrong it is. I'll never repeat that.

SORRY! :slap:

Coffee Crazy, no need to worry. From my point of view, it is the scammers and solicitors who are the real issue, rather than occassional prank calls, because frequent scam calls indirectly affect deaf people by making businesses hang up on them. If there were only infrequent prank calls and no scam calls, it would be a much better world for deaf people, relay operators, and businesses. In this modern era, scammers attack our privacy and sense of security through e-mails, phone calls, and IP-relay. As technology progresses, rules are getting stricter. Stricter rules can mean more problems. Such a protocol set in place for the relay operators can undermine U.S. security, and for the single reason that out-of-country scammers are able to access the relay service, there has to be some way to monitor them such as done through regular telephone calls. Unfortunately, it appears that either the U.S. government or the agency in charge of relay protocols is not smart enough to find a solution to this obvious problem. The old system of non-traceable calls and inflexible protocols will have to be overthrown somehow, considering the elevated security measures already in place in the U.S. This is a matter of national security and it is appropriate that such a matter be taken to the Supreme Court.

Agreed

I agree the phone system has got to change. However, one of the major problems with relay is that the phone companies themselves are making so much money off of these calls. Alot of them are well aware of the situation and when we complain to them, we get alot of responses like " Yeah, we are working real hard with the FCC to do something about this,". and mainly alot of run arounds.

if u want to see what the scammers look like, go to youtube.com and search for nigerian scammer and u can find an 8 min long clip of them getting busted. its awesome. fuck em all!

Yeah it's super complicated...some people I know have reported it but in turn lost their job for doing what's right. Mostly when it came down to Nigerian scammers...but still, the FCC is waaaay strict on everything. That's why we can't even talk to you most times. Some companies are different...but that is because they aren't sponsored/funded by the government but by a company...

Back