the world "dial"

A

apathrev

I'm sorry if this sounds completely ignorant and rude. I don't mean to be. But as a relay operator, I've seen the words "dial" and "redial," a majority of the time, is spelled "dail" and "redail." Is this a case of the user, not being able to hear the correct pronounciation of the word, assuming that the "a" comes before the "i" because that is a more common way of spelling as opposed to "ia"?

this could be because the user is dyslexic?
Or the user is just in a rush, and time is more important than self-correction?

Ever want a spellchecker installed in those TTYs and internet relays? :lol:

Haha. No spell check would be necessary. Most deaf users can spell better than the teenagers who call through relay, making prank calls. There hasn't been a case where I haven't been able to understand what the text user is saying, regardless of how bad spelling is.

As far as dyslexia, I see it too often for me to think it could be that. Even Nigerian scammers type "dail" instead of "dial." When a scammer is the case, I mess with their heads. (opr here are u asking for dail qq) ga.

Could it be these Nigerian scammers using these words dail or redail? I have never heard of this being common in Deaf Community unless some people get lazy which has nothing to do with Deaf Culture?

No, it is not solely scammers. I'm sorry if this is off topic. Please move it to where you feel it would be best suited. I was just curious about the confusion of the word.

I don't mess up "dial" myself ... hmmm ok that's because I usually type something like "pls call jon at 123-4567 ga"
however .. I also don't tend to "backup" and correct spelling, nor "xxxxxx" unless I reallllllly kill a word. There are words and letter combinations that I do have problems with though ( oe/eo, ie/ei , ae/ea ) and some words I just for the life of me mis-spell almost constantly. I grew up oral, but there are so many letter combinations that sound the same to me that it's like a toss up on what comes first somedays. For the record I read ALOT of books - so it's not an exposure issue. I also seem to consistantly mistype "some as soem" , and "like as liek" ... in this case it a matter of typing/muscle memory messing up lol.

one thing that might be happening is that because we now use email and IM so much for "chatting" that we tend to say "email me" , or "mail ..." ... perhaps it's a blending of "dial" and "mail" - which somehow gets typed "dail" ?

of course ... maybe we just can't spell lol

hmmm did I help at all here ... or did I just ramble :dunno:

Anij said:
I don't mess up "dial" myself ... hmmm ok that's because I usually type something like "pls call jon at 123-4567 ga"
however .. I also don't tend to "backup" and correct spelling, nor "xxxxxx" unless I reallllllly kill a word. There are words and letter combinations that I do have problems with though ( oe/eo, ie/ei , ae/ea ) and some words I just for the life of me mis-spell almost constantly. I grew up oral, but there are so many letter combinations that sound the same to me that it's like a toss up on what comes first somedays. For the record I read ALOT of books - so it's not an exposure issue. I also seem to consistantly mistype "some as soem" , and "like as liek" ... in this case it a matter of typing/muscle memory messing up lol.

one thing that might be happening is that because we now use email and IM so much for "chatting" that we tend to say "email me" , or "mail ..." ... perhaps it's a blending of "dial" and "mail" - which somehow gets typed "dail" ?

of course ... maybe we just can't spell lol

hmmm did I help at all here ... or did I just ramble :dunno:

No, you didn't ramble, I rather enjoy discussions concerning relay ettiquette. As for your idea on "mail" and "dail," that is a possibilty. I actually haven't been seeing this as much lately. But I have noticed that scammers do this quite a bit, but not exclusively. Leaves alot of potential victims wondering "Who the heck is dail?" :dunno:

As far as mispelled words. Keep going. I know what you mean. I know that promble means problem. I know that dail means dial. I've said this before; there has never been a case in which I could not make out what a person was trying to type, regardless of how atrocious the spelling might be. If you think you have horrible spelling, if only I could show you some of the prank calls I get. Eesh.

Unless of course you're telling me there is such a word as funcation.

Back