The Word Deaf/Hearing Impaired...

KweenSasha

Reaction score
Hey I'm new here, before I get involved in blogging I need you guys to clear up the defination of the word "DEAF". I heard some people can become offended by simply being called hearing impaired (since it is veiwed as an insult)....some deaf or HOH . Which is the correct term to use and in which situations and why? I'm not used so I don't wanna step on anyone toes

Peace and Love

I've never liked the word hearing impaired. It just sounds negative.
Would you call a woman Y chromosome impaired? Same thing.

Firstly welcome to AD... On topic different people are offended by different things. Some deafies don't want to be called handicapped or impaired. Some don't care. It's like anything in life.. You will never please all of the people all of the time. I personally am handicapped due to an auto accident and I am also visually impaired. I don't have any problem with either term used because it by definition is the truth. I do respect others if they feel it's offensive but I also believe it's on them to make that known.

I've never liked the word hearing impaired. It just sounds negative.
Would you call a woman Y chromosome impaired? Same thing.
I don't think it's negative, like rockdrummer said by defination it's the truth. By the way I notice ur nickname deaf'dyke'. Correct me if i'm wrong, the word Dyke is an insult to gay people.

to some dyke is offensive and to others it's not... What context words are used in will certianly make a difference. What bothers me is when people get offended when the correct words are used in the correct context.

Check this link
Lesbian Life

It was brought up as an issue in a vblog (forgot which one) as of late that I read and find it rather interesting.

They some said that they find it "better off" by not saying "I'm deaf" at all esp at the first impression whenever approaching hearing people. Instead they act normal like the hearing person whatever or whenever they approach. Because more than often it offends hearing people simply because they suddenly were thrown off like that and not knowing what to do next. hmm

So I gonna try test it myself whenever there is a chance somewhere else later.

Back