The new deaf generation....speaking and listening

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you give details of the cognitive processes that depend upon language, please?

A former ADer who is no longer posting here was a perfect example of that. She grew up usinp orally only and then had to resort to SEE later on. It was evident is her postings that she was constantly misunderstanding others who had a higher command of English and taking everything personally. Plus her written English reflected her inablility to think critically when lead to so many misunderstandings between her and other ADers. She has cleaimed that she didn't know ASL , just SEE and have said numerous times that she got bashed by culturally Deaf people for using SEE not ASL.

She is someone who has shown to lack fluency in her native language so in effect, her ability to think critically seemed to have been affected. Sad.

A former ADer who is no longer posting here was a perfect example of that. She grew up usinp orally only and then had to resort to SEE later on. It was evident is her postings that she was constantly misunderstanding others who had a higher command of English and taking everything personally. Plus her written English reflected her inablility to think critically when lead to so many misunderstandings between her and other ADers. She has cleaimed that she didn't know ASL , just SEE and have said numerous times that she got bashed by culturally Deaf people for using SEE not ASL.

I know to whom you are referring, and she is an excellent example.

She is someone who has shown to lack fluency in her native language so in effect, her ability to think critically seemed to have been affected. Sad.

I wonder who that was. :hmm:

Well, most all cognitive process of the higher level are dependent upon language. Reasoning, problem solving, critical thinking, dichotomous thinking (more a of a tendency to be dicotomous in those who are affected by not having acquired a native language) are a few.

Now I understand that clearly. Thank you both.

Now I understand that clearly. Thank you both.

You are welcome.

I was also affected by the lack of language access as well. Yes, I have some fluency in English but I feel it has hit a certain level and can't go any further up. I tried reading more advanced books ans etc but iam really struggling right now. I feel lucky that I got this far considering how severly restricted I was from language growing up. It really scares the shit out of me to think, "What if I didn't enjoy reading as a hobby?" I just have to shake off my thoughts because it is very frightening to think of what the consequences would have been if I wasn't an avid reader. That is what most hearing people refuse to understand. They are blessed to have automatic access to language and most of the time they don't appreciate what you and I and many other deaf peple were constantly put at risks for these kinds of problems due to their ignorant about ASL and language accessibility. We are the ones who pay the price if theyscrew up.

If I may be honest here, and feel free to bash me if you must, I notice hypersensitivity and I am including myself here, is prevalent on AD. I see that as reflective of our reacting to a world that thinks us less capable than we are. It's hard not to start taking everything personally when it seems at every turn, you feel constantly challenged by those who doubt, by those who don't know. I can easily imagine that for some, it really got to them psychologically. It's a thin tightrope between the hearing and the deaf and when you are raised not to fall into one side yet not able to freefall into the other, it leaves you in a state of maintaining a balancing act and trying to be "hearing" knowing in the back of your head, you're really not, no wonder some feel in constant limbo.

You are welcome.

I was also affected by the lack of language access as well. Yes, I have some fluency in English but I feel it has hit a certain level and can't go any further up. I tried reading more advanced books ans etc but iam really struggling right now. I feel lucky that I got this far considering how severly restricted I was from language growing up. It really scares the shit out of me to think, "What if I didn't enjoy reading as a hobby?" I just have to shake off my thoughts because it is very frightening to think of what the consequences would have been if I wasn't an avid reader. That is what most hearing people refuse to understand. They are blessed to have automatic access to language and most of the time they don't appreciate what you and I and many other deaf peple were constantly put at risks for these kinds of problems due to their ignorant about ASL and language accessibility. We are the ones who pay the price if theyscrew up.

Same here. Although I do have some flair for writing, I can't entirely hide my language delays and it shows if you know what to look for. It shows in my use of grammar for the most part. I think both of us put much more effort into getting decent English skills than the hearing.

Ignorance.....not ignorant..duh me.

:lol: I do this all the time to myself. I'm always correcting my own grammar. I don't like it when others correct my grammar.

Me neither. I once showed a guy to the door when he did. That's a line one doesn't cross for it never seems to be done so without a patronizing or condescending tone. Me no like.

If I may be honest here, and feel free to bash me if you must, I notice hypersensitivity and I am including myself here, is prevalent on AD. I see that as reflective of our reacting to a world that thinks us less capable than we are. It's hard not to start taking everything personally when it seems at every turn, you feel constantly challenged by those who doubt, by those who don't know. I can easily imagine that for some, it really got to them psychologically. It's a thin tightrope between the hearing and the deaf and when you are raised not to fall into one side yet not able to freefall into the other, it leaves you in a state of maintaining a balancing act and trying to be "hearing" knowing in the back of your head, you're really not, no wonder some feel in constant limbo.

Hypersentivity? I have seen worse.

Nope, just being straightfordly honest with those who have a "hearing" mentality. Sometimes, not beating around the bush bis better.

I have, so often, attempted to explain that you have to understand the deaf experience to understand the deaf's reactions to so many things.

Hypersentivity? I have seen worse.

Nope, just being straightfordly honest with those who have a "hearing" mentality. Sometimes, not beating around the bush bis better.

I believe in being up front about these things. Why beat around the bush? Brutal honesty is much more effective.:giggle:

You are welcome.

People who read a lot almost always have better grammar, spelling, vocabulary, and command of the language generally. That goes for hearing, Deaf, those learning a second language, anyone.

People who don't read much have more limited vocabularies and a more limited knowledge-base as compared to those who read a lot.

I consider myself fortunate that my parents always read to us kids when we were young; there were always books around; a trip to the library was a weekly event. It makes such a difference in one's world-view to have that resource.

Me neither. I once showed a guy to the door when he did. That's a line one doesn't cross for it never seems to be done so without a patronizing or condescending tone. Me no like.

Exactly. :P

People who read a lot almost always have better grammar, spelling, vocabulary, and command of the language generally. That goes for hearing, Deaf, those learning a second language, anyone.

People who don't read much have more limited vocabularies and a more limited knowledge-base as compared to those who read a lot.

I consider myself fortunate that my parents always read to us kids when we were young; there were always books around; a trip to the library was a weekly event. It makes such a difference in one's world-view to have that resource.

Agreed! The library was my idea of heaven when I was a kid. Didn't understand tv, radio, music, phones, family, people, teachers but books? They made sense, those lovely crisp black printed words on white, painting a perfectly clear picture that never makes you have to say "what?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back