The Last Stand for the Deaf in California

Wirelessly posted

Banjo said:
faire_jour said:
if this was directed at me it is laughable.

*shrugs*

What's so laughable about it? You're the one putting so much emphasis on the schools. Parents' roles in their children's lives are far, far more significant than the schools ever will be.

school is very important. If a student can not read by 12th grade school has failed them too.

Last edited:
I thank my parents for providing an incentive by saying that if I read a book after bedtime, I can have an extra hour of light after bed time. They put encyclopedia in my bedroom and I read them ever since I was about 8 years old. Everyday when I went to bed, I reviewed in encyclopedia on what I've seen during the day.

Also when I got into trouble for any reason, my parents had me write 20-50 (depending on severity) words and definitions from dictionary on paper.

My parents also encouraged me to participate any academic competitions i.e. debating conferences, Vocational Industrial Clubs of America and other activities which helped me to build a STRONG resume that landed me a dream job of my life.

Parents are a KEY tool and role model to our educational growth. Without them, our views on schools become weaker and how can we enforce education with weak family support like that?

Wirelessly posted

school is very important. If a student can read by 12th grade school has failed them too.

Look at your own sentence, I'm not understanding that correctly.

"If a student can read by 12th grade, school has failed them too."

Parents are a KEY tool and role model to our educational growth. Without them, our views on schools become weaker and how can we enforce education with weak family support like that?

Exactly. :)

I taught my 2 boys to read BEFORE they went to K school. They are now ahead of their age group, ready and eager to excel in what they can do. It is ALSO our responsibility to teach them morality, another KEY factor in succeeding in school. If we fail, school also will fail. If there is no teamwork, then we will not succeed.

Wirelessly posted

school is very important. If a student can not read by 12th grade school has failed them too.

It's not only the school that teaches the child to read. I know of a LOT of people, myself included, that were taught by parents as well as teachers. That's been a big issue with teachers. Too many parents are relying on the teachers to prepare their child or children for the real world, when most of it is up to the parents. And that doesn't mean having the parent find yet another "teacher" or "tutor" to teach what the schools should not have to do. There are too many schools who are having to deal with all kinds of issues than what their original intentions were meant to be, such as teaching a child the basics of education. Basic skills should be started by the parent and kept up by the parent or guardian. not always the teachers.

If a child or student can't read by grade 12, it was not only the schools that failed them. It goes back to the old African Proverb "It takes a Village to raise a child."

Wirelessly posted

i have never said that it is only the school's responsibity. But i feel like you guys are saying it is only parents. If that is true why do kids go to school at all?

Wirelessly posted

i have never said that it is only the school's responsibity. But i feel like you guys are saying it is only parents. If that is true why do kids go to school at all?

Do you think that's we're saying? Please, I only said to stop relying on the schools for everything. Geez.

Wirelessly posted

You need serious educational work in understanding on what we are trying to say. NEITHER of us implied the same way on what you think we are implying. Remember what I said about TEAMWORK? What do "Teamwork" mean to you? Can you tell me what I am trying to imply?

Let me rephrase this in the ASL way:

remember me said teamwork? understand what me mean?

that mean both school and parent together must work agree together

parents teach how start read how communicate how write first start up

THEN school teach how more more deep things in read and write

kids go back home homework do do, if not understand ask parent

parent can help work together help that child understand oh yeah pah

kid go back to school dig deep more what up in world, how more advance

that what we mean THAT understand?

Wirelessly posted

LinuxGold said:
Let me rephrase this in the ASL way:

remember me said teamwork? understand what me mean?

that mean both school and parent together must work agree together

parents teach how start read how communicate how write first start up

THEN school teach how more more deep things in read and write

kids go back home homework do do, if not understand ask parent

parent can help work together help that child understand oh yeah pah

kid go back to school dig deep more what up in world, how more advance

that what we mean THAT understand?

what the hell is that supposed to be?

i am a college educated hearing parent of a deaf child. I hope that wasn't supposed to be something i understood...i understand english just fine.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

what the hell is that supposed to be?

i am a college educated hearing parent of a deaf child. I hope that wasn't supposed to be something i understood...

I am college educated deaf parent of a hearing child. How is that any difference?

Wirelessly posted

the point is, 90% of deaf 11th graders at california school for the deaf can't read.

i see that people here are choosing to put 100% of that blame on the parents and that is crap. Surely that school has some responsibilty.

i would NEVER send my child to a school were 90% of kids are failing, regardless of the excuses. That is a school that fails it's students.

Wirelessly posted

the point is, 90% of deaf 11th graders at california school for the deaf can't read.

i see that people here are choosing to put 100% of that blame on the parents and that is crap. Surely that school has some responsibilty.

i would NEVER send my child to a school were 90% of kids are failing, regardless of the excuses. That is a school that fails it's students.

If you are protecting your child from going to wrong school, then you are PASSING as a GREAT parent. Send that student to a RIGHT SCHOOL.

I GRADUATED from hearing school, BTW.

I hope when I have kids, I will have time to educate them at home without relying on teachers to babysit my children.

However in a society now based on double-incomes... I don't know if that will happen or not.

Wirelessly posted

Parents and schools in concert...best way. As for that 90%, there are a lot of reasons and very convoluted ones at that for why this is. And it needs to be changed...has been needing same for 100 years. Go back over some of the posts regarding this...

Back