The Great Race

stefan2832

Reaction score
A short story, 900 words if you can stick it out!

The Great Race

Every animal in Evergreen Wood knew that Harry Mouse was the fastest Mouse in the forest. Often his friends would sit around swapping tales of
how Harry’s speed had saved him from danger. Such as the time when an
angry wolf chased him but soon gave up the chase when he saw how fast
Little Harry could run. Or the time when Harry sneaked into the nearby
Farmhouse for some cheese. The farmer, not happy to share his cheese
ran after Harry. But, just like the angry wolf, soon gave up the chase.
These tales were always a great source of enjoyment for Harry’s friends.

But a debate arose in Evergreen Wood. Some of the animal’s said that Harry was not just the fastest Mouse in the forest, but he was in fact,
the fastest of all the animal’s living in Evergreen Wood. But there were others, such as the Badgers and Moles for instance, who said that Fox
Was a better runner than Harry the Mouse.

Now, Harry the Mouse and Fox were the best of friends. They never argued about who was the fastest, but they would often joke about it.
Fox would say “Indeed little Harry, you are fast, but with your little legs you cannot run very far.” Then he would add, “now me, with my strong legs I could run all day and all night if I had to.”

So it came to be that a great race would be held to decide who was the fastest runner in Evergreen Wood. Harry the Mouse or Fox!

The day of the great race came. It was a beautiful sunny day in Evergreen Wood and all the animals had gathered to watch. It was decided that the race would start at the Old Oak Tree, which just happened to be home to the Professor. The Professor, was actually Mr Owl who happened to be the oldest and wisest animal in Evergreen Wood. Because Owl knew everything, the other animals called him the Professor out of respect for his cleverness. After leaving the Old Oak Tree Fox and Harry would have to cross the carrot fields, home to Misty Rabbit and all her friends. Across the stream, past the Nearby Farmhouse and continue on to Big Mountain.
Big Mountain was five miles from Evergreen Wood. Really it was just a hill, but the animals of Evergreen Wood called it Big Mountain because, well it was a really big hill! They would have to climb Big Mountain and then return the same route back to The Old Oak Tree.

“First back to The Old Oak Tree shall be the winner,” declared Mr Owl.

“It’s an awful long way,” said Fox, looking at Harry.
“Your little legs might not carry you that distance,” said Fox.
Then he added, “we can call off the race if you want?”

“Don’t worry about me,” replied Harry.
“I’ll be first back to The Old Oak Tree,” he told Fox.

With that, some of the other animals started to laugh. But not Fox.
He was worried about Harry and he knew that whatever happened, he and Harry would still be the best of friends.

Harry mouse and Fox took up their starting positions. With a loud “Hoot!” from the Professor… They were off! The two runners quickly disappeared into the distance. “Fox is in front, but there’s a long way to go!” said Misty the Rabbit.

Fox ran very fast. After crossing the carrot fields he then splashed through the stream. Pausing on the far bank he looked back, but could see no sign of Harry Mouse. I hope Harry is okay thought Fox.
Fox then continued on his way. Passing the nearby Farmhouse he headed straight for Big Mountain. It was a steep climb to reach the top of Big Mountain. Once there Fox stopped for a rest. From this height Fox could see a long way. He could see Evergreen Wood in the distance, but there was still no sign of Harry Mouse.
Poor Harry, I hope he is not lost, Fox thought to himself.

After resting, Fox set off back to Evergreen Wood. Down Big Mountain, past the Nearby Farm until he reached the stream. By now Fox was tired and very thirsty. He stopped at the stream to get a drink. As he was drinking Fox felt something moving on his back. Down hopped Harry Mouse. “Hello Fox,” said Harry, and then he ran off in the direction of the Old Oak Tree. “Why you cheeky little Mouse!” shouted Fox as he started to run after Harry.

As they ran across the carrot fields all the animals were cheering.
Harry Mouse was in front and looked as fresh as ever.
Poor Fox was behind. His legs were very tired now and he could not keep up with Harry Mouse. Harry reached the Old Oak Tree first.
The other mice lifted him up and carried him around cheering.
When Fox finally arrived everybody patted him on the back telling him hard luck. “Harry is just to fast,” said Misty Rabbit.
With that Fox started to laugh loudly. Nobody quite understood what was so funny. Only Fox and Harry knew how the little mouse had outwitted Fox that day.

Fox respected Harry’s smartness. “Sometimes a clever head is just as
important as fast legs,” he told Harry later.
To this day, Harry the Mouse and Fox are still the best of friends.

The end.

Back