The cost of CI....

Public Health insurance cover the cost fully for CI surgery and anything relate CI issues.

For myself, the main issue would be battery cost (if I were a CI user)

If I were to get one CI today it would be totally free. However if I were to opt for bilateral then I'd have to fork out $10 grand for the second one.

Only one option brand here.

Both of my deaf teenagers have implants. My son received his in 1995. Back then in California implants were not a standard operation like it is now with Medical and California Children Services. I did have to fight to get it. I live about 8 hours south of our state offices. What I did was spent 2 weeks up there going from one poltical office to another. I took my 3 year son with so they can put a fact to a name. And I did not leave until I had a approval for his implant. Now it is basicly a standard operation.
My son's implant was completely free. Back then I was not a teacher and did not have any insurance. The state paid for everything including parts, batteries, and all medical care.

My daughter recieved her implant when she was 11 years old. She already had very good oral skills. She has a severe to profound to severe hearing loss so she heard a lot buy not everything with a hearing aide. I was a teacher already when she received hers. My medical insurance covered everything. My medical insurance also pays for batteries. I did have to argue with them because they did not want to pay for battieries. I told them so you will pay $50,000 for the implant but not for batteries. If we do not have batteries then what was the purpose of paying for the implant. So they now pay for everything.

Once again, thank you all very much for your replies.Whoever wishes to add more, please do.

Fuzzy

I wonder if that is a bad thing about becoming TOO dependent on technology?

We are already dependent on technology heavily in practically every area of life.
Unless there will be some apocalypse, the technology will be supplied.

Fuzzy

OUCH! That would kill me! Your insurance won't pay for audiological services?

They do, 90%. Right now they pay 100% because I maxed out my 1300 this year. My ded. is 350 a year with a family ded. of 750.

Off topic, I go for my 3 month mapping (wow can't believe it has been 3 months), so all the "fun" test - words, beeping, and ringing!

I am not the writer, but I want to put into words about technology and the CI.

Yes, I am dependent on technology. I have been for 35 years. My HA was technology. Let's face it - my ears do not work!!! I need technology to complete my life.

The cost of the CI is so little compared to what it gives me. If I could get the same results with a HA, I would be happy with that, but I can't. The CIs allow me to enjoy the life I want. I want to teach special education, I want to have a conversation with my husband even if he is trying to be funny(not), I want to hear the name mom a million times in 30 minutes, I want to hear the kitchen sounds, I want to have $100,000 implant in my head one on each side, and I want to be happy - I am.

So here is my take - 2 Cochlear implants - $100,000, Doctor Visits and surgery - at least $75,000, Being able to hear my daughter laugh - priceless!!!!!

We are already dependent on technology heavily in practically every area of life.
Unless there will be some apocalypse, the technology will be supplied.

Fuzzy

I am talking about being too dependent on it to be able to communicate at all. If the CI fails or breaks, the child cant go to school? That to me is becoming too dependent on the CI and I think that is risky.

I am talking about being too dependent on it to be able to communicate at all. If the CI fails or breaks, the child cant go to school? That to me is becoming too dependent on the CI and I think that is risky.

Agree, Shel. In the 2 Girls thread one girl's CI failed twice. Without ASL how to communicate if CI fails again? Pen and paper I guess, but pen and paper is not useful for everyday life - too slow, hard and awkward. Lipreading without enough hearing is impossible I think. If a person thinks they are "hearing" because of CI, if the CI fails how do they think they are? When they take off a processor? Probably they first should think they are deaf/HoH and realize that CI only helps and doesn't make a hearing person really.

Agree, Shel. In the 2 Girls thread one girl's CI failed twice. Without ASL how to communicate if CI fails again? Pen and paper I guess, but pen and paper is not useful for everyday life - too slow, hard and awkward. Lipreading without enough hearing is impossible I think. If a person thinks they are "hearing" because of CI, if the CI fails how do they think they are? When they take off a processor? Probably they first should think they are deaf/HoH and realize that CI only helps and doesn't make a hearing person really.

Yes, this is why our students with CIs are fortunate cuz they dont have to worry about being completely cut off from any communication.

About the pen and paper..what do u do if a 4 year old's CI breaks or fails? The 4 year old have no means of communication at all if the he/she had never learned ASL. That is when it becomes extremely critical cuz the child's language development becomes interrupted.

Yes, this is why our students with CIs are fortunate cuz they dont have to worry about being completely cut off from any communication.

About the pen and paper..what do u do if a 4 year old's CI breaks or fails? The 4 year old have no means of communication at all if the he/she had never learned ASL. That is when it becomes extremely critical cuz the child's language development becomes interrupted.

Very good point, Shel. Pen and paper is a bad option - only for emergency IMO.

Very good point, Shel. Pen and paper is a bad option - only for emergency IMO.

I am not sure if u got my drift? What I mean was that a 4 year old hasnt developed reading and writing skills yet. Cant even use a paper and pen in an emergency...older kids (if they have literacy skills) can but the little ones...:(

And what if the hearing people around her don't know sign? That's something to think about.

How do you know if your ear hook is going? I have Advanced Bionics T-Mic.

And what if the hearing people around her don't know sign? That's something to think about.

yea, in my country ,in most cases,people don't know sign so getting a CI broken wouldn't case more trouble here

Back