That's it! I'm done!

AurorasLight

Reaction score
Well here's to being single. I never noticed this before I lost my hearing but hearing guys my age are jerks! It used to be you had the good guys and you had the bad guys, that was it. Now it's good guys, bad guys, guys who feel the need to explain what's "wrong" with you to avoid being embarrassed, etc. This is a mistake I will never make again. Have any of you had this problem? Is this common everywhere or just in my small town?

Well here's to being single. I never noticed this before I lost my hearing but hearing guys my age are jerks! It used to be you had the good guys and you had the bad guys, that was it. Now it's good guys, bad guys, guys who feel the need to explain what's "wrong" with you to avoid being embarrassed, etc. This is a mistake I will never make again. Have any of you had this problem? Is this common everywhere or just in my small town?

Oh honey... YES!!! Maybe it's coz I'm in high school (Pfft. MAYBE?!?) but at least 95% of guys my age are huge jerks! Yes, I've had this problem. And I've had tons of "sympathy dates", and guys who used me, because of my deafness, to get what they wanted. UGH.

I'm not saying that ALL guys are jerks. There are some very awesome guys out there. And a lot of them get better as they get older. (Sadly, not all.) But, the ones that I've encountered who are my age are mostly big jerks.

This is why I'm not dating until at least college...

:hug:

Well, exactly what did the guy(s) "explain" what was wrong with you?

That if I'm a bit spacey it's not because I'm mentally challenged or rude. I'm just deaf. I know I'm probably getting too defensive about it but I don't feel the need for them to explain to others. If people I don't know are uncomfortable around me they have every right to move, I'd even move if they asked but I don't like that they have to explain my situation to give them a sense of comfort. Does that make any sense?

Oh you young'uns....

Oh honey... YES!!! Maybe it's coz I'm in high school (Pfft. MAYBE?!?) but at least 95% of guys my age are huge jerks! Yes, I've had this problem. And I've had tons of "sympathy dates", and guys who used me, because of my deafness, to get what they wanted. UGH.

I'm not saying that ALL guys are jerks. There are some very awesome guys out there. And a lot of them get better as they get older. (Sadly, not all.) But, the ones that I've encountered who are my age are mostly big jerks.

This is why I'm not dating until at least college...

:hug:

I have to laugh....men have not changed one bit over the years. I told my daughter that boys only have one thing on their minds, and that is they want your goodies, not you.

And yes, it has been going on for a long time...boys will always want to take advantage of girls, especially attractive deaf girls. Yes, some have evil minds that think "she is deaf, and hot, so I should be able to get in her pants easily".

This is also true for some deaf guys....there are evil girls that think the same way.

I have to laugh....men have not changed one bit over the years. I told my daughter that boys only have one thing on their minds, and that is they want your goodies, not you.

And yes, it has been going on for a long time...boys will always want to take advantage of girls, especially attractive deaf girls. Yes, some have evil minds that think "she is deaf, and hot, so I should be able to get in her pants easily".

This is also true for some deaf guys....there are evil girls that think the same way.

I wish I knew those girls
medance.gif

consider it a tool to help weed out the douch bags :wave:

Trust me on this, the smaller the "town" the narrower the mind set. I know. I live there. You will get prejudice everywhere, but small towns seem to be very exceptionally closed minded.

Trust me on this, the smaller the "town" the narrower the mind set. I know. I live there. You will get prejudice everywhere, but small towns seem to be very exceptionally closed minded.

:gpost:

I could not have said this any better myself! This is soooo true.

I know I'm probably getting too defensive about it but I don't feel the need for them to explain to others. If people I don't know are uncomfortable around me they have every right to move, I'd even move if they asked but I don't like that they have to explain my situation to give them a sense of comfort. Does that make any sense?

Yes, makes sense. I have some family members that go waaayyyyy out of their way to publicly announce that I am in the same room and that all rules must change. Worst offender is my father.

One thing that people do that really boils my blood is when they introduce me to new people, and the very first f***ing thing they say is "HE IS DEAF, HE READS LIPS, HE WEARS THOSE IMPLANT THINGHIES ON HIS HEAD, SEE THEM? THEY ACTUALLY STICK TO HIS HEAD!!! MAKE SURE YOU LOOK AT HIM WHEN YOU TALK"....especially after I've already said "Hi, How are you?". This is usually followed with awkward moments of silence and me breaking the ice by saying something sarcastic.

I want to tell some of these people "Listen, shitforbrains, I am old enough and capable enough to tell people that I am deaf, so let me announce it myself, okay?"

most of hearing people dont have experiences in your shoes. just be patient or ignore them. =?

I am an ASL user and can ignore ignorant peeps.

It's not an easy relationship, you have to work harder at it than someone who is not in your position.

From a guy's perspective, I've found you'll get a lot further with good communication than bad communication, women are all about communication.

Don't worry, you'll find who is right for you.

Back