Thanksgiving Receipes

Go out to dinner! :D

I'm not much of a cook so...

Go out to dinner! :D

I'm not much of a cook so...

I had a second cousin (who has since died) that had a chronic illness for years. For quite a number of years she would get a whole meal that was prepared by a regional supermarket chain. That way she did not have to travel or cook but could have the fellowship of her family together.

I am not sure if that is what LoveBlue had in mind with her post or not.

Boston Market. :lol:

Google is your friend

Would it have been that hard to post most than the two words to begin with?

We do not have a Boston Market anywhere really close. With that name I thought it was a supermarket where you could either buy all the things to cook for yourself or have them prepare a full meal.

When I did Google it I found out it is a restaurant chain and the closest one is 50-60 miles away depending on if you go the shortest way or the best roads and takes around an hour to get there either way.

Well.. whenever I am not sure of something or have never heard of something I almost always google (or bing or duck duck go search engines- pick your poison) to see what it is and learn something in the process instead of assuming what it is. :)

Really miss the Boston Market (formerly Boston Chicken) near where I lived in PA. Not sure if we have them here- may have to check that out.

Well.. whenever I am not sure of something or have never heard of something I almost always google (or bing or duck duck go search engines- pick your poison) to see what it is and learn something in the process instead of assuming what it is. :)

Really miss the Boston Market (formerly Boston Chicken) near where I lived in PA. Not sure if we have them here- may have to check that out.

In this case it would have been considerate of others and made such a difference if she would have added just one word - restaurant - because any chain is not all over and not known where they are not.

In this case it would have been considerate of others and made such a difference if she would have added just one word - restaurant - because any chain is not all over and not known where they are not.
What would be considerate is if you didn't make these "put down" posts.
Again, if you don't recognize something, then google it. *smh*

sorry, no recipes - I don't really cook much <or bake at all> and we're going out to eat anyway.

-as an aside, when I ate that kind of thing, I do remember going to Boston Market restaurant; hub really liked their sides.-

but anyway, Jane - have a lovely Thanksgiving, whatever you do :)

sorry, no recipes - I don't really cook much <or bake at all> and we're going out to eat anyway.

-as an aside, when I ate that kind of thing, I do remember going to Boston Market restaurant; hub really liked their sides.-

but anyway, Jane - have a lovely Thanksgiving, whatever you do :)
Have you ever been Durgin Park in Boston ,Ma? There is long tables and you sat next right next our families and they had Barked Alaska that came in clay flower pots minis
the flower and dirt.
It was :drool:!

No, never been there - did look it up and it looks good - I saw their "Thanksgiving on a Wrap" menu item :) seems like they have a creative flair going- funny about the Baked Alaska! Glad you had a good time!

I have a million recipes :) Cooking is one of my favorite things to do!

Are you looking for recipes for the bird itself or the communal dishes? :)

ahhhh, :ty: for explaining more about what Jane was looking for...as someone who eats veggie <and non-dairy all the time> most of the time, I could offer some ideas...not sure about recipes...but here's an example from a recipe page: http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/thanksgiving-vegetarian-recipes.html

kinda depends on how vegetarian the person is...will they do animal-based broth? fish? the times my folks, me and hubby have had dinner at my mom's house, I usually focus on the vegetables and bring a big salad. My folks like veggies so we have usually had things like broccoli, cauliflower, green beans <plain, not green bean casserole>, sweet potatoes. I usually make a plain <no butter no sugar> sweet potato for myself. You could do a veggie pizza or a veggie casserole for something different. There's also things like this - most health food store will have this: http://www.tofurky.com/ I've some of their items and do like them.

No, never been there - did look it up and it looks good - I saw their "Thanksgiving on a Wrap" menu item :) seems like they have a creative flair going- funny about the Baked Alaska! Glad you had a good time!
Dad use to bring the family there , their roast beef was huge and their prices were a lot cheaper then.! :)

Not sure how some got to thinking I was looking for vegetarian recipes. In going back over the whole thread I found Angel1989 started things looking for that in 2014.

My first post was about turkey breast when she said she and her husband were the only ones going to want to eat turkey.

I now realize that in doing my post where I said I wasn't sure what LoveBlue had in mind (ingredients or whole prepared meal) I had confused Boston Market and Market Basket that is mentioned every now and then on this site. Thus, took it to be a supermarket that could be a source for either ingredients or preparation of the whole meal. That was followed by the criticism of my reaction to the reply I got. "Google is you friend" took as much effort to write as just saying "it is a restaurant". I was not trying to "stir things up" with what I wrote but LoveBlue seems to have once again taken it that way.

Now do we want to go on talking about both kinds of menus and recipes?

Not sure how some got to thinking I was looking for vegetarian recipes. In going back over the whole thread I found Angel1989 started things looking for that in 2014.

My first post was about turkey breast when she said she and her husband were the only ones going to want to eat turkey.

I now realize that in doing my post where I said I wasn't sure what LoveBlue had in mind (ingredients or whole prepared meal) I had confused Boston Market and Market Basket that is mentioned every now and then on this site. Thus, took it to be a supermarket that could be a source for either ingredients or preparation of the whole meal. That was followed by the criticism of my reaction to the reply I got. "Google is you friend" took as much effort to write as just saying "it is a restaurant". I was not trying to "stir things up" with what I wrote but LoveBlue seems to have once again taken it that way.

Now do we want to go on talking about both kinds of menus and recipes?
Sure we can!

But I have a little advice. Don't be sad or disgruntled. If someone is mean to you, just roll your eyes and don't respond back.

Cracker Barrel does serve thanksgivings food as well but they aren't great as homemade.

Okay so for soup I would probably go with a very seasonal appropriate soup such as butternut squash. The great thing about this soup is the fact you can prep it the day before and cook it in the slow cooker (if you have one) and not have to worry about it.

Recipe:
  • 4 pounds butternut squash - peeled and cubed
  • 2 carrots - peeled and chopped
  • 1 granny smith apple - peeled and chopped
  • 1 jalapeno - chopped (seeded, for a more mild flavor) - optional!
  • 1 small/medium yellow onion - chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic - minced (or 2 tablespoons of minced garlic)
  • 1 tablespoon cumin
  • 2 teaspoons of salt - (then add more to taste once half way cooked/fully cooked)
  • ¼ teaspoon black pepper (then add more to taste once half way cooked/fully cooked)
  • ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 4 cups of vegetable stock
  • 1 (14 oz) can of coconut milk (plus an extra can if you want to add some to the top of your individual soups)
Put everything into your crockpot and cook for 6-8 hours on low*. Once cooked add the coconut milk and blend with an immersion hand blender (or if you have just a regular food blender then ladle it over into that and then add coconut milk) and then serve (or store until the next day but make sure the soup is fully cooled before putting it into the fridge).

I always add a sprinkle of cilantro to mine and have the cayenne pepper on the table for anyone who likes a little spice. Plus some people like extra cream to top off their soup so always handy to have extra :)

* You can cook this on high for about 4 hours but I would recommend cooking it on slow. It always seems to taste better to me but if you're in a pinch and need it cooked quick, go for high for about 3-4 hours :)
-------------

For the main dish, I would probably go with something like a vegetable stew** because it's thanksgiving but if you fancy venturing out a little bit you would always do something like individual pot pies (maybe pumpkin pot pies or mushroom!) with stuffed mushrooms/peppers or maybe a vegetarian lasagna - which would be good because it's pretty versatile and if you made a few up you could add different things to each (spinach in one, roasted veggies in another) to switch it up a little.

** The reason I'd go with vegetable stew is because you said your husband and yourself are going to be eating turkey and so I assume you'll be cooking potatoes, veggies etc too. With the stew you could pretty much combine everything you're already cooking into the stew so it's not a lot of extra work and everyone will be eating pretty much the same thing minus the meat.

-----------

Of course, you also have the option of hosting a pot luck. That way everyone brings one dish (you'd probably have to assign starter/main/desert to each person/couple so that you don't end up with 10 pumpkin pies and nothing else to eat lol) and then that way you know each person will have at least 1 thing they each like.

----------

My personal thanksgiving food check list is; turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes with brown sugar and marshmallows, macaroni and cheese, green beans, carrots, sweetcorn, sauerkraut, potato salad, vegetable and cheese plates with crackers and then deserts (usually a few people bring different deserts and/or cookies) and there are 12 of us.

I think whatever you end up making will be a hit. The thing about holiday get togethers is, if you're with people you love then it's the laugher and memories you're going to take away. What you ate will just fade into the background. The wonderful company and the good day will be the things you remember for years to come.

Happy to share any of the recipes for ideas I've mentioned. After I wrote the soup one, I realized how long(er) this post would be if I wrote each one out and didn't want to bombard you :)

- SP x

Back