Texas girl with a ton of questions! :)

meganv218

Reaction score
Hello, My name is Megan and I'm from Texas. I'm a junior in high school.

My school offers an ASL program and the teacher has been amazing, I've only learned about 50-100 signs so far, but I'm in LOVE with ASL and the Deaf Culture in general.

I've had a lot of issues with "mean girls" in school and I haven't found that with any of the deafies I've met. :) I've recently looked into potential colleges/majors and I came across something - Deaf Studies/American Sign Language as a major?

Heres some questions I had!
Is there a good job outlook for translators/interpreters?
What kinds of careers can you go into with a Deaf Studies degree?
How do you feel about CSUN, SFA, TCU, or Baylor? Do you recommend any other schools? I do know about Gally and RIT, but RIT is way out of budget and I do not think Gally would accept me, since I'm not fluent.
Is the Deaf culture accepting of hearing people?

I just love the concepts of ASL, of the amount of expression in it with everything from facial expressions and slight movements and whatnot. It really has become a passion for me.

Some other notes - I'm in my third year of Spanish and would be interested in that, too. Can I combine ASL and this in an interpreter program? hmmmm... :)
Other interests: I nanny and love kids. hmm, I'm good at soccer :)

So nice meeting all of you, in advance! :wave:

I apologize, I didn't mean to post this twice. Bad internet connection!

I'm not really sure if my answers will be too helpful, but I believe you can combine your ASL studies with an interpreter program. I'm in school right now to become an interpreter (I'm completely fluent in Spanish) And I'm in Texas too! Nice to meet you :)

Both spanish and ASL have come easy to me, so I'm wondering if I could use that to my advantage. hehe.
Although I am defintely more advanced in Spanish than ASL at this point.

Both spanish and ASL have come easy to me, so I'm wondering if I could use that to my advantage. hehe.
Although I am defintely more advanced in Spanish than ASL at this point.

Well if you are on this forum, I'm assuming that you really want a future with ASL in it, so I suggest talking to a school counselor about career choices and see what she suggests, they are very helpful and some even have "career guidance" tests that you can fill out and it will print out a list of dream jobs for someone like you. :)

My counselor fails at guidance, she's more of a "Get students in the school, take your classes, take your SATs, follow/research your own dreams!" type of counselor. She's very...snippy. Not ideal.

My counselor fails at guidance, she's more of a "Get students in the school, take your classes, take your SATs, follow/research your own dreams!" type of counselor. She's very...snippy. Not ideal.

Oh, I know how you feel. Well have you taken many ASL courses? They have wonderful courses at colleges and you get way more credit taking it as a college course, as opposed to a high school course. Plus, it can double up as a speech credit at most colleges.
Also, If I may ask... where in Texas are you? Just like, the general area. I'm in the Dallas area and I'm staring college this fall, and planning to add ASL to my studies so I could probably find out more information about college ASL programs around your area, if you would like. :)

I'm in Mansfield, near DFW. Dallas is 30-40 minutes away. I've looked into classes at TCC in Fort Worth but they're all full for this semester. I took ASL 1 last year at my school but it's in such a demand that ASL 2 was full this year and I can't take it. I would like to take ASL 1 over again somewhere else to refine everything and because it's been awhile and I don't get any real practice now.

I'm in Mansfield, near DFW. Dallas is 30-40 minutes away. I've looked into classes at TCC in Fort Worth but they're all full for this semester. I took ASL 1 last year at my school but it's in such a demand that ASL 2 was full this year and I can't take it. I would like to take ASL 1 over again somewhere else to refine everything and because it's been awhile and I don't get any real practice now.

Well my suggestion would be to find some sort of extracurricular ASL courses and study it in your free time, spend a day in your local library every month just immersing yourself. Make flash cards, do whatever you can in your own time to learn more. Go up to local colleges, even if all of their classes are full right now, and ask them all of your questions. Then once you graduate high school, attend one of the colleges in your area and study ASL as a course there. That's the best advice I really can give.

TCC at downtown Fort Worth are largest ASL program. My 3 friends work as ASL instructor in there. Quite NICE place.

Oh, I know how you feel. Well have you taken many ASL courses? They have wonderful courses at colleges and you get way more credit taking it as a college course, as opposed to a high school course. Plus, it can double up as a speech credit at most colleges.
Also, If I may ask... where in Texas are you? Just like, the general area. I'm in the Dallas area and I'm staring college this fall, and planning to add ASL to my studies so I could probably find out more information about college ASL programs around your area, if you would like. :)

I used to know that Collin College in Plano have excellent ASL instructor. She was one of best in there. Unfortunately, not anymore. I wonder what's up with them since...

I have talked to some people around here and they mentioned Collin College. And do high school students take college classes often? If I were to take at TCC would I be the youngest?

I have talked to some people around here and they mentioned Collin College. And do high school students take college classes often? If I were to take at TCC would I be the youngest?

Oh yes they do, relax completely about that! I graduated high school in 3 years, and I'm not even the youngest in college. They have 16 year olds, to 90 year olds. And no one will even notice :)

I used to know that Collin College in Plano have excellent ASL instructor. She was one of best in there. Unfortunately, not anymore. I wonder what's up with them since...

Yes they did, not anymore though sadly. I had a few friends that went there, and they all said that the school is going down-hill. :|

Back