Telus has contracted Sorenson VRS to provide a limited VRS service on trial basis.

Royale

Reaction score
Ed’s Telecom Alert Canada Assoc of the Deaf Submits Comments

You come to check one of Henry who happens to be Henry Vlug, a well known Deaf lawyer in Canada.

I am often the lawyer for CAD in CRTC – same function as FCC in USA – matters so know of what I speak.

Telus has a contract with Sorenson to provide a trial of VRS in BC and Alberta. It is scheduled to start July 1st. We do not know how much Telus will be paying Sorenson. This is confidential information that may be reported to CRTC but is not shared with anyone else. I am sure Sorenson will be making a profit and so there will be no subsidizing it by you USAers.

Bell will be doing a trial of VRS in Ontario and Quebec but has decided to do research first and is working on that research now. Then the trial. No announcement as to who will be conducting the trial – could be Sorenson again or could be someone else (Convo going to bid to do it?)

Sorenson has quite a few – 6 last time I was told a number but could be more now – VRS centers up here in Canada to serve the USA. These do not serve Canadian callers. ASL in Canada and USA are pretty much the same and interpreter training and standards and all that are also very similar so most likely you USA VRS users will not be able to identify if it is a Canadian interpreter handling the call.

It means Sorenson VRS provides their service to only two provinces - British Columbia and Alberta.

*scratching head* and you actually believe him? SOURCE please! not from that ED's Alert Page...

Folks like you are just nearly guillible and jump the gun like those who send out chain e-mails that tracks your e-mails for some $$$ and post false information that just waste our time.

That guy... Henry if you said... he doesn't know how many centers that sorenson have in canada, is a red flag, showing he's guillible as you are, oh the humanity of stupidity, its a endless cycle where people believe what they read and agree what they said without researching the facts before putting up.

I know exactly how many centers in canada ;) there is a source in the sorensonvrs.com website. I'm not telling ya how to find it... RESEARCH yourself ;)

*yawn*

*sighs*

I have known Henry personally for a long time. He is not that kind of gullible guy and I am not gullible at all. Sometimes I have been critical of Sorenson VRS for what they have done like using a scare tactic video and other things.

Actually I know how many Sorenson call centres are in Canada. :zzz:
You blatantly and clearly underestimated my intelligence.

*scratching head* and you actually believe him? SOURCE please! not from that ED's Alert Page...

Folks like you are just nearly guillible and jump the gun like those who send out chain e-mails that tracks your e-mails for some $$$ and post false information that just waste our time.

That guy... Henry if you said... he doesn't know how many centers that sorenson have in canada, is a red flag, showing he's guillible as you are, oh the humanity of stupidity, its a endless cycle where people believe what they read and agree what they said without researching the facts before putting up.

I know exactly how many centers in canada ;) there is a source in the sorensonvrs.com website. I'm not telling ya how to find it... RESEARCH yourself ;)

*yawn*

Geez, talk about being rude.

*sighs*

I have known Henry personally for a long time. He is not that kind of gullible guy and I am not gullible at all. Sometimes I have been critical of Sorenson VRS for what they have done like using a scare tactic video and other things.

Actually I know how many Sorenson call centres are in Canada. :zzz:
You blatantly and clearly underestimated my intelligence.

Royale,

you have every right to be critical of anyone you wish. That applies to me as well, I am just pointing out that everyone who wish to post something that can't be verified with a source. Unfortunately, those comments that Henry made is not valid until source are revealed.

for those who made comments after royale, are the trollers ;) make yourself extremely useful and avoid less than 4 words coments, make a good discussion on this, one liners doesn't apply here ;)

*yawn*

Excuse me. Read what I said. 6 last time I was told might be more now.

My source is there - "I was told". The numbers are right too!

I did go check the numbers and see it is now up to 8 where they are looking for interpreters - but who knows how many are not yet established or whether there are any places where they are not looking for interpreters? But it was 6 when I was told and it might be more now!

And this is a rather minor point! If it had been important I would have checked and all that. But it was not - just a minor detail.

Curious - why you objecting to this? You being paid by Sorenson or something?

Henry

Henry, I welcome you to alldeaf :)

Can you read what I'm trying to say... where did I objected if Sorenson had a contract with TELUS. I'm merely asking for a source of that information, where the infamous "my friend told me... blah blah blah” has no place in this. That is where all rumors and inaccurate information are being spread without any validity and gotten it blown out of proportion and create a mob-mentality in this site.

Now again, you already make a minor detail out of this right now that you are assuming that I’m being paid by Sorenson or something. Regretfully to inform you that your intuition is grossly inaccurate. It’s my own statement and mine alone. I thank the American forefathers for the first amendment

Henry, I welcome you to alldeaf :)

Can you read what I'm trying to say... where did I objected if Sorenson had a contract with TELUS. I'm merely asking for a source of that information, where the infamous "my friend told me... blah blah blah” has no place in this. That is where all rumors and inaccurate information are being spread without any validity and gotten it blown out of proportion and create a mob-mentality in this site.

Now again, you already make a minor detail out of this right now that you are assuming that I’m being paid by Sorenson or something. Regretfully to inform you that your intuition is grossly inaccurate. It’s my own statement and mine alone. I thank the American forefathers for the first amendment
and what would be your source for the American forefathers and the first ammendment.
?

Practice what you preach or stop being silly!

Henry,

your one cool dude... the source of the first amendment is the constitution of the United States of America. I have the backing of my source and you have none.

Henry,

your one cool dude... the source of the first amendment is the constitution of the United States of America. I have the backing of my source and you have none.

Actually my source for the info in that paste from another website is myself. For about 40 years now I have been involved in doing a lot of advocacy work. Attend CRTC hearings and participate in proceedings. Communicate with a lot of people in Canada and the USA on these issues. So pick up a tremendous amount of information. Quite a bit of information other than the number of Sorenson relay centres in Canada was presented in the post. I could go and find published sources for all of it but unless it is necessary, what is the point? Believe me, it is boring like hell to read some of the legal filings and legal papers which contain proper references to sources and all that. Not just boring - it can become incomprehensible! A posting on the forum where I posted it and in this forum where it got pasted is not the proper place to include sources!

To whom it may concern,

I am a professional ASL interpreter in Western Canada and I need to say that Mr.Henry Vlug is a very well-respected member of our Deaf community. So I have no doubt in my mind that what Mr.Vlug is saying about VRS in Canada is not only reputable, but carries with it a lot of blood, sweat, and tears in our fight for VRS service in Canada. He is a very valid source of information on this topic.

pandaatv, I would be very careful who you were talking to. Henry V is actually Henry Vlug and he is probably one of the highly respected member in the deaf community. If you don't know him, then I would suggest you to Google. I believe he was trying his best to get VRS services being available in Canada. I would suggest you to read between Henry V's line then you would know it is really is from Henry Vlug himself. Geesh...be careful before being mobbed by AD'ers :nono:

Really Telus and only provinces for british Colubia and Alberta. I heard my friends from British Columbia told me test on when set up on spread on 2013? I hope be spread on something people. really Pretty sound. what do you think ??? How do you know reearch ? found it?

Really Telus and only provinces for british Colubia and Alberta. I heard my friends from British Columbia told me test on when set up on spread on 2013? I hope be spread on something people. really Pretty sound. what do you think ??? How do you know reearch ? found it?

Yes, only Telus now - only BC and Alberta and only the metro area of Vancouver (probably also only the metro areas of Edmonton and Calgary but that has not been announced yet). Bell will have their trial for Ontario and Quebec later. Then when the trials are over and the information the CRTC says it needs is available there will be another proceeding - sometime possibly in 2013 - and then it could be ordered for all of Canada - or totally scraped or whatever.

Whoa... its only take a risk to dig deeper, either you struck gold or nothing.

pandaatv, I would be very careful who you were talking to. Henry V is actually Henry Vlug and he is probably one of the highly respected member in the deaf community. If you don't know him, then I would suggest you to Google. I believe he was trying his best to get VRS services being available in Canada. I would suggest you to read between Henry V's line then you would know it is really is from Henry Vlug himself. Geesh...be careful before being mobbed by AD'ers :nono:

Redwolf,

I do appreicate the experience, knowledge and whatnots that Henry had stated, and i do applaud him for all of his effort and I don't know him at all. That is the reason I'm trying to point out the validity and Henry just stated it and I respect that. Royale and other folks just mentioned tidbits of him and it didn't support my perspective until Henry came in the Alldeaf and clear up his expersite in this field with the Canada VRS planning. no pun intented Henry I am learing more about your efforts!

Don't ask me to be careful, and i am asking royale to read between my lines that I AM ASKING FOR SOURCE ;) that is one reason some of the folks just get too trigger happy to post without having the source and the backing, royale didn't... however Henry did.

Water under the bridge... and hope that Canada will have the opportunity to have equality in Telecomm access that Americans do enjoy and being empowered. Henry, you have my full support to push Canada having VRS.

Back