telephones and t-coil

seunder

Reaction score
Hi! My name is sherry and I am hard of hearing with a profound hearing loss. It is a nerve deafness and I was born with it. I also have two sons that are hard of hearing. I live in Tennessee with my husband and my beautiful toy white poodle. I have 3 grown married children and 5 grandchildren. Right now I am searching for an amplified telephone, cordless, with answering machine. I have found one I like and it says hearing aid compatible but none of them say T-coil compatible. We purchased one and it was not t-coil compatible and it cost us to ship it back plus a restocking fee. How do we know by shopping on the internet if it is t-coil compatible? Please anyone out there, any answers? We are needing an answering machine right away.

Many companies fail now to recognize hearing aid compatible MEANS t coil. Its very sticky issue now, as less and less HA users forgo the normal landline phone for cells for texting and such. I should know... I was in market for a replacement landline phone, I wouldnt care more or less if it has answering machine, but its harder to find a cheap handset with tcoil compatibility. I find the portable handset gives buzzing noise when in use. Its not the same buzzing level between brands. panasonic appears to be less of buzzing, but I must not be near my kitchen where there is fluorescent bulbs are.

My suggestions at this point is make try harriscommunications catalog/website as they are geared more towards deaf/HoH.
If you don't want to wait, just do what I did. I made a point of going to various stores everyweek and buy one brand I think I like and try it out for a week. if it sucks, I took it back and got money back within 5-7 days and got my cash back and tried another till I found one I like. Took me nearly a month.:aw:. Now I may need to go shopping again as the batteries gave out on it and tried a replacement batteries and its acting funny. time for another. :roll:

I too would suggest looking local. At one time I thought I was going to add one — discovered that the answering machine part would NOT play back if the phone part was in use. I need them at the same time as I use relay with VCO to get my messages.

There are not many around but I think I have still seen some answering machines that are a separate item. That may make finding the phone easier.

For the best T-coil telephone experience, I have never found any new phone, landline or cellphone, to rival these old AT&T landline phones.

myLot - Old black home landline phone

They had the best sound ever.

You might still be able to find them at thrift shops and rummage sales. I keep two of them in a box in case I ever get a landline again.

Many companies fail now to recognize hearing aid compatible MEANS t coil. Its very sticky issue now, as less and less HA users forgo the normal landline phone for cells for texting and such. I should know... I was in market for a replacement landline phone, I wouldnt care more or less if it has answering machine, but its harder to find a cheap handset with tcoil compatibility. I find the portable handset gives buzzing noise when in use. Its not the same buzzing level between brands. panasonic appears to be less of buzzing, but I must not be near my kitchen where there is fluorescent bulbs are.

My suggestions at this point is make try harriscommunications catalog/website as they are geared more towards deaf/HoH.
If you don't want to wait, just do what I did. I made a point of going to various stores everyweek and buy one brand I think I like and try it out for a week. if it sucks, I took it back and got money back within 5-7 days and got my cash back and tried another till I found one I like. Took me nearly a month.:aw:. Now I may need to go shopping again as the batteries gave out on it and tried a replacement batteries and its acting funny. time for another. :roll:

I got my phone from my phone company for free, it is a Clarity model
# XL45 . it works pretty good with my HA. I had no luck finding a landline phone at any store! I tried Radio Shack in Ma. and NH and they had nothing , the salesman in NH Radio Shack said he had another HOH person looking for
a landline phone . I am finding it harder to find one all the time. I do not want a cell phone, I know I will be misplacing it all the time! I think I will have start using a talky walky phone or two tin cans and a string!

Back