Taking the Pill debate Redux

Wokamuka

Reaction score
Homosexuality Turned On and Off in Fruit Flies | LiveScience

Other genes are known to alter sexual orientation, but most just control whether the brain develops as genetically male or female. It's not known why a male brain does male things and a female brain acts in female ways, Featherstone and his colleagues say.

"Based on our previous work, we reasoned that GB mutants might show homosexual behavior because their glutamatergic synapses were altered in some way," Featherstone said. "Homosexual courtship might be sort of an 'overreaction' to sexual stimuli."

To test this, the researchers genetically altered synapse strength, independent of GB. They also gave flies drugs to alter synapse strength. As predicted, they were able to turn fly homosexuality on and off, within hours.

"It was amazing. I never thought we'd be able to do that sort of thing, because sexual orientation is supposed to be hard-wired," Featherstone said. "This fundamentally changes how we think about this behavior."

If you received a pill/pills, would you take it?

I think the basic idea against this is to agree with it is to say that diversity is unacceptable- moreover, that a part of a gay person is "broken."

I'm a firm believer in the beauty of neurodiversity. I believe that without our differences- disturbing, ugly, depraved, whatever they may be- humanity would be exceedingly boring.

I believe that deviation is just that- an essential aspect of creating "normality" itself, and that attempting to correct it would effectively imply that to be a deviant is to be disordered, skewing our preceptions of normality entirely.

Normality cannot exist without the examples that lie outside of it- which can be great for those who reject their "faults" and it can equally be harmful for those of us who root part of our identity as members of a minority or stigmatized population.

I think the basic idea against this is to agree with it is to say that diversity is unacceptable- moreover, that a part of a gay person is "broken."

I'm a firm believer in the beauty of neurodiversity. I believe that without our differences- disturbing, ugly, depraved, whatever they may be- humanity would be exceedingly boring.

I believe that deviation is just that- an essential aspect of creating "normality" itself, and that attempting to correct it would effectively imply that to be a deviant is to be disordered, skewing our preceptions of normality entirely.

Normality cannot exist without the examples that lie outside of it- which can be great for those who reject their "faults" and it can equally be harmful for those of us who root part of our identity as members of a minority or stigmatized population.
:gpost:

A remarkable concept that, I'm sure, many gay and lesbians are no strangers to.

Diversity is strength while conformity is weakness.

Back