Swelling on the inside part of the CI

ChrisAvert

Reaction score
Hello, I am new on this forum and hope that someone can help me.

I am the father of a 11 years old girl who got a CI at the age of 6. The CI is working fine and my daughter is making a very good usage of it.

But since 2012, there has been some swelling located next to the internal device (processor) of the CI: there is some liquid or air between the processor and the skin; this causes a swelling. This already happened 4 times since 2012 and each swelling approximatively lasts 10 days. After 10 days everything is back to normal. Doctors don't really have explanations to this issue but recommend to get antibiotics to avoid infections.

I would like to know if this also happen to other people and if you know the rationale and what to do.

Thanks for your help!

Christophe

Have you contacted the Ci surgeon that did the surgery for any ideas? I have not heard of this.

It does seem a "bit of odd" that the surgeon/doctors wouldn't know the cause of the swelling.

aside: I have had over 6 1/2 years of my Cochlear Implant without any "swelling" for a short period of time- to date.

I am sorry about your girl. Hope shes feeling better. I know few of those ci users who had to re surgery twice in order to correct it. But I don't know anyone who had bad infection but heard or saw the YOUTUBE about it. If you plan to check the you tube. so you might ask those former CI users who removed the ci due to infection or mold.

hope things will work out for your girl.

Eek, I've never heard of this. If it is indeed an infection I'd be going back to the place that did the surgery and demanding some answers! I've heard of people having head trauma in that area with their C.I. from a car accident causing some swelling and issues but never just random infections or swelling for 10 days and it just being gone... :shock: Definitely go back to the doctor and demand to know what's going on! Just writing her scripts to rid the swelling every time doesn't make it any better if it keeps coming back again and again! Treat the cause, not the immediate problem. ( swelling ) I hope everything works out for the best for her, I know that's probably a scary thing for a little girl to endure. :(

Thanks to all of you for your interesting comments. We try to treat the cause but we met doctors and surgeon many times and they didn't know what is the issue. Some of them have seen such an issue to other children but it only happened once. One potential cause might be due to the fact that my daughter is 11 and growing.
We are now investigating on forums, by hospitals and doctors, to find similar situations and try to have an answer.
Thanks for your help!

Thanks to all of you for your interesting comments. We try to treat the cause but we met doctors and surgeon many times and they didn't know what is the issue. Some of them have seen such an issue to other children but it only happened once. One potential cause might be due to the fact that my daughter is 11 and growing.
We are now investigating on forums, by hospitals and doctors, to find similar situations and try to have an answer.
Thanks for your help!

I work for a triage hospital here in Tampa as a P.A. I'm getting ready to go into work... I'll ask some fellow doctors if they've ever heard of anything... but I know I personally have not like I said. If I hear anything that anyone knows, I'll get back at ya. Good luck.

Have you thought of trying different magnets? If the magnet is too strong it could be irritating the skin. I had too switch to a weaker magnet because I found the skin under the magnet was getting sore. It has helped. I am wondering if the magnet is too strong and causing the swelling.

Does your daughter scratch or rub the affected area? Perhaps her skin is reacting to infectious microbes or allergies on her processor. If so, se if disinfecting her processor with damp alcohol on a cotton ball (do not immerse or over drench cotton ball) resolves it.

Back