Suing for lack of CC...

Audiofuzzy

Reaction score
Has anybody ever tried to sue for lack of CC either on DVD, B-R discs
or any TV providers etc?

I am more and more pissed off because less and less movies, shows
even stupid commercials are equipped with CC.

I pay the same money as everybody else - so why can't I UNDERSTAND what
I am watching like damn everybody else????

And please don't tell me I can get the CC off Internet. So what?

Does hearies have to go and look for everyday services on their own? Nope.
So why should I? it should be given that when I am, say, buying a movie that comes out in 2010 it is WITH effing captions or subtitles!

grrrrr

Fuzzy

I have made phone calls about this to Comcast! I was told by Comcast the station I was watching should put the CC on the shows. I called FCC and was told that Comcast is wrong! Comcast is the one the should being making sure there are CC on the shows on TV! I knew I was right when I told Comcast this! I was told more people need to complain about the lack of CC to get something to happen!

Hopefully we can turn it around in the right direction from this point now on. That's a start. :)

I have made phone calls about this to Comcast! I was told by Comcast the station I was watching should put the CC on the shows. I called FCC and was told that Comcast is wrong! Comcast is the one the should being making sure there are CC on the shows on TV! I knew I was right when I told Comcast this! I was told more people need to complain about the lack of CC to get something to happen!

I'm fighting Comcast too. My situation is that here in Houston they have special programming for the Spanish language programs. Those who only want to watch channels that broadcast in Spanish can use a special package at a reduce rate. However, they wont let me nor any other deaf ask for a package of only c.c. channels. Congress and the FCC is really at fault because they are the ones preventing all subscribers from having the choice to just pick your channels at will and pay for each individually. They allow the companies to force packages on the viewers and almost all viewers have some channels not needed. I've got 24 channels of MUSIC I never once look at. What a waste! WHY!!!

Really?!
That' so hopeful.

Frankly, when I was writing my post, deep down didn't believe actually it's possible to sue over the captions, mainly b/c- whom, exactly.

Everybody pushes the fault at everyone else.

I will be most interested who wins.
Fingers crossed, always the Deafie!!

btw I was hopping mad watching saved on PPV "Get him to the Greek"
-the CC got cut off in the middle of the movie!
wtf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrgh!!!
:hyper:

Fuzzy

It's happened with me also..and boy was I pissed!...I called the TV station and made a "complaint"!....However, they said they would "get back to me"...but never did...the next day, the program I watched daily, was back to CC...

"we are sorry, we will look into it"
"we will take care of it"
"we are working on it"
"we are doing what we can"
"we will get back to you asap"
-
-that's all they always say, politely,
and nothing ever change, does it?

:mad:

Fuzzy

I don't even bother watching t.v. anymore, a lot of the time even if the CC is working the show will go to commercial and when it comes back the CC is gone for 2-3 minutes. Ugh. Where we live, it's very rural so not sure if that contributes to it. It really stinks when House is on though, not a show that I like to miss part of the plot when I do get a chance to watch it. :thumbd:

I'm fighting Comcast too. My situation is that here in Houston they have special programming for the Spanish language programs. Those who only want to watch channels that broadcast in Spanish can use a special package at a reduce rate. However, they wont let me nor any other deaf ask for a package of only c.c. channels. Congress and the FCC is really at fault because they are the ones preventing all subscribers from having the choice to just pick your channels at will and pay for each individually. They allow the companies to force packages on the viewers and almost all viewers have some channels not needed. I've got 24 channels of MUSIC I never once look at. What a waste! WHY!!!

I agree! I home shopping and religion channels that I never watch! And the stations run the same movies all week and the same movies are on back to back ! GRR! What a rip off!

Umm....ever happen to notice the caption credit at the end. The network and in some cases the program are responsible for captions. Comcast was right. The FCC rep you talked to must have misunderstood the question.

There are some cases where a reciever might not do captions....but that doesn't seem to be the problem you are having.

Umm....ever happen to notice the caption credit at the end. The network and in some cases the program are responsible for captions. Comcast was right. The FCC rep you talked to must have misunderstood the question.

There are some cases where a reciever might not do captions....but that doesn't seem to be the problem you are having.

Yup, that's correct about networks (Nick, MTV, CNN, Spike, A&E, etc) are responsible to include CC, not cable companies, except for possibly technical malfunction from cable companies or your TV.

Just test other channels if CC is popping up.

I use Directv, not cable company crap.

I agree! I home shopping and religion channels that I never watch! And the stations run the same movies all week and the same movies are on back to back ! GRR! What a rip off!

Unfortunately, it is part of business practical from satellite/cable companies.

OWN - Oprah W Network just launched a month or so in Canada.
Of course NO CC.

I wrote them how The Man has landed on the Moon decades ago
but the company is incapable of providing the CC for H-I right away ???

All I got back from them was a routine, monotone:
~ We are experiencing technical...
~ We apologize ..
~ We strive to provide ...
~ We deeply care for our disabled customers...

......response crap.

Just makes me
:barf:

Fuzzy

What about dvds a professor brings into class that does not have CC or subtitles or the professor just refuses to set it up? Can one sue for that?

OWN - Oprah W Network just launched a month or so in Canada.
Of course NO CC.

I wrote them how The Man has landed on the Moon decades ago
but the company is incapable of providing the CC for H-I right away ???

All I got back from them was a routine, monotone:
~ We are experiencing technical...
~ We apologize ..
~ We strive to provide ...
~ We deeply care for our disabled customers...

......response crap.

Just makes me
:barf:

Fuzzy

They can provide it they just refuse to provide it. It cost them lots of money to caption their programs. The way they see it is why spend the money for it when their audience is 99% hearing?

What about dvds a professor brings into class that does not have CC or subtitles or the professor just refuses to set it up? Can one sue for that?

Not if the class has a qualified interpreter to interpret the movie

I am constantly stuck watching videos at school that don't have captions. I'm currently in a bit of a battle with a teacher regarding all that.
If a teacher refused to set up the captions, I would go completely nuts at them. And then complain to my school. You can't really sue on that, I don't think (it's pretty drastic action) but there's no way I would let the teacher get away with that. I'm stuck without captions enough times in class.

Back