Suggestions for replies to "great speech skills"

I could say that I have a mild to moderate hearing loss and use two hearing aids.

It depends on the person. I have a tendancy to say something else equally ridiculous - like "Thanks. I think you have a good nose"

When I am called hearing impaired my response is "I am not hearing impaired" and then they loook so confused before slowly saying "...then what are you?" or "...I thought you couldn't hear".

My favorite was when the person said "...I thought you were deaf." and I replied I was. That poor girl was so confused.

I was gonna suggest something quite similiar.

The deaf person could just simply reply in ASL "thank you". That would get the point across or confuse the hearing person; one or the other. ;)

A simple oral thank you will suffice, but then walk away. No further discussion will be attempted. :)

"Hi, my name's Broken Ears; I'm from the tribe that just moved in down the street a ways."

I recently had a doctor tell me that I "make sounds" like a hearing person. My jaw tried to drop itself on the floor. I wasn't even speaking to the doctor at all, and she still found a way to comment on my speech! I sure couldn't figure out a reply for her, except for telling her that I had some hearing pre-lingually.

What the heck do hearing people sounds sound like, anyways?

I have been told that many many times.

Here are some come backs that I use:
I learned your language, now you learn mine.
Eh, I have good and bad speech days.
I am surprised I can flap my lips and wag my tongue as good as you!

I am hearing, but I had a really, really, really, really bad speech effect when I was younger. After YEARS of speech therapy, I got to where I could speak well...or at least, I thought I could. haha... :)

I was staying at my Aunt and Uncle's house and they said, "Raquel, we are so proud of you. Even though you have your speech effect, you work hard to correct yourself and sound right." I was thinking... "Ummm...Okay. Do I still have my speech effect?" I thought I was saying everything just fine.

So...to relate that ^ to this thread... I did not know it was offensive to comment on 'great speech skills' or anything like that. (Thank you for teaching me that.) In the same way, though, when someone commented on my speech skills, I was kind of taken aback, too.

Raquel

P.S. If I ever say anything that seems offensive to anyone, I am sorry! I am trying to know Deaf culture, but I am sure I will probably have some weird perspectives on things. haha Please teach me what is appropriate in Deaf culture! Thank y'all! :)

Back