Study: Disabled more likely to be victims of violent crime

jillio

Reaction score
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- People with disabilities are 50 percent more likely to be victims of violent crimes than are people without disabilities, according to a government study released Thursday.

A study suggests the disabled are more likely to be victims of violent crime than those without disabilities.
The first national study of its kind found that a wide range of disabled people -- including blind, deaf, developmentally disabled, and others with physical and mental limitations -- were victims of assaults, rapes and robberies in 716,000 cases in 2007.

The study by the U.S. Justice Department's Bureau of Justice Statistics said instances of violence against disabled people occurred overall 1½ times the rate of those without disabilities, but the numbers varied by age group.

The most vulnerable groups were disabled people ages 12 to 19 and 35 to 49, for whom victimization occurred at nearly twice the rate of non-disabled persons.

Michael Rand, chief of victimization research for the Bureau of Justice Statistics, did not speculate on the reasons for the findings.

"It's hard to say," Rand said. "We didn't try to get at motivations."

Rand, a co-author of the study, said many of the crimes were committed by people who did not know their victims. Forty percent of the crimes against disabled male victims were committed by strangers versus 45 percent against those without disabilities.

The difference for females was greater: 34 percent of disabled females were victimized by strangers versus 24 percent for women without disabilities.

The study found that people with cognitive disabilities such as mental retardation, developmental disabilities and cerebral palsy represented the largest group of victims.

Simple assaults accounted for about two-thirds of the crimes against disabled people in the study, which tallied 476,000 simple assaults, 114,000 aggravated assaults, 79,000 robberies, and 47,000 rapes or sexual assaults.

Study: Disabled more likely to be victims of violent crime - CNN.com

Somewhat expected.

Many people on this forum have been through frauds, assaults and infringement on one's body. Sad that people think they can take advantage of others.

makes tons of sense, it says "We didn't try to get at motivations." whats up with that?

makes tons of sense, it says "We didn't try to get at motivations." whats up with that?

Yeah. Getting at the motivations certainly isn't rocket science. I think we all know what the motivation is.:cool2:

Actually, I wonder did they just do the study to get more exact statistics to a common phenomenon?

I used to work at a group home housing mentally challenged deaf adults and I heard stories about them being victims. It is really sad.

The most vulnerable groups were disabled people ages 12 to 19 and 35 to 49, for whom victimization occurred at nearly twice the rate of non-disabled persons.

I am not surprised that the disabled people are victims of crimes. What surprised me is the ages. I thought the older people would be more likely to be victims of crimes - like those in their 70's and 80's.

I am not surprised that the disabled people are victims of crimes. What surprised me is the ages. I thought the older people would be more likely to be victims of crimes - like those in their 70's and 80's.
A few possible reasons. Older people tend to stay indoors more; have someone watch out for them; avoid situations that are hazardous, such as shopping after dark. Many people in that age group are in senior center living, which is more secure. Also, alcohol consumption is lower, which is one of the risk factors for crime.

Wow, that's terrible although not exactly surprising - abuse is common in the disabled, even by the disabled. I have the gut feeling that deaf kids are more likely to be molested than hearing kids.

Wow, that's terrible although not exactly surprising - abuse is common in the disabled, even by the disabled. I have the gut feeling that deaf kids are more likely to be molested than hearing kids.

I agreed. The molester probably bet that the deaf kids can't communicate with their parents, thus go after them.

Oh believe me, it still happens to me.

Some younger people will look at my bag or any homeless people will look at my grocery bags and try to swipe it until I look at them. I will acknowledge them and say "Hello".

Some reply to me, "You can see!" and some actually get very crass with me asking me why I have a white cane.

The most important message I state to victims, the oppressors, the survivors is not to allow anyone to treat anyone as a victim. Take control of the situation as much as you can. No one has the right to demean you as well as victimise you.

The oppressors has no right to oppress anyone and usually those oppressors are actually victims too.

It's just a vicious cycle that needs to be broken and it takes one brave person to break it. It all starts with ourselves.

Positive healing thoughts to all.

Much love. OXOX

Oh believe me, it still happens to me.

The most important message I state to victims, the oppressors, the survivors is not to allow anyone to treat anyone as a victim. Take control of the situation as much as you can. No one has the right to demean you as well as victimise you.

Much love. OXOX

Basically most criminals are cowards. They look for easy victims: people who either can't or won't fight back.

Never look or act like a victim. Always walk like a lion, never a lamb.

when I worked with people with severe autism and cognitive disabilities, reports of abuse were not uncommon.

a large part of self defense is being aware of and appearing confident in one's surroundings.

Basically most criminals are cowards.

I totally agree with that. The person who held a pillow over my head, she did the same thing to this kid. She's abused all her kids in fact and other people's kids too. But as far as I know I'm the only adult she's attacked since I'm deafblind.

Not quite surprised there. It sickens me to see how they would take advantage of people with disabilities thinking they can get away with it...they better think again.

Back