student midwife interested in your stories of pregnancy & childbirth

studentmidwife

Reaction score
Hi all :wave:

I'm a student midwife, interested in the pregnancy, childbirth & early parenthood experiences of deaf & HOH parents.

The life changing transition to parenthood is a positive challenge to everybody, so with potential for additional communication barriers caused by hearing impairments, I can only imagine how overwhelming yet magical your journey was/is!

I am interested in your story. The support, services, and care offered to you as deaf or HOH individuals throughout pregnancy, labour, and during the post-natal period. Whether you experienced exceptional care, or were less than satisfied with your treatment, I'd love to hear from you! What did your midwives do to make your pregnancy & childbirth memorable? Good & bad!

My aim is to improve the quality of care I can offer to deaf & HOH families during pregnancy and childbirth by reflecting upon your experiences and learning from them. Of course, your stories will remain confidential and anonymised within my work. If you'd like to get in touch to kindly share your experiences with me, please reply to this thread and I will send you my email address. Thanks guys! Enjoy your bumps & bundles of joy! X

when had my children i was still hearing but have known of some awful stories deaf women in labour also some good things.Birth is only as good as the people on duty that day.There are some protercols put in place mostly common sense and what you need no two women labour the same way

Thank you both for your replies.

I completely agree that anybody's birth experience is only as good as the midwives on shift... that sums up the very reason that i intend to learn BSL and hear some of your experiences of good/bad maternity practice to learn from, as I want to be the best midwife I can be!

It is important that midwives are able to cater to the unique needs of each lady they care for.. because as you said, no two labours (or pregnancies) are ever the same. My training extensively covers lessons in how to facilitate the best possible birthing experience for ladies, in terms of communication skills and physical & emotional support - but this is all focused on hearing parents only. Of course a lot of these skills are universally required regardless of someone's hearing status, but I am interested in learning how to facilitate the best possible birth experience for deaf and HOH ladies specifically, so I am keen to hear any stories or experiences that you wish to share :)

Nothing special about my two deliveries...the first time, my best friend helped me with the timing of the pushing. The 2nd time, I had a terp.

I would say that be ready to provide a terp if the deaf/hoh patient askes for one. It is our right to have one. Some places have denied hiring a terp due to costs.

my hub's long term interpreter when he was in high school. She was there for our wedding, and was there for my two labors. I felt sad that she passed away from cervial cancer. Wish I know her more the time goes when my kids get older. :(

pethadine gas and air sod natural childbirth but if that what want to do fair play...what piss me the midwife who deliver my daughter said i should not feel guilty for having pain relief,i told her i was in labour not on a endurence course

just add i watched 'the midwives'lastnight if you can get it that help,you see what use be like

Back