Strange Opinion and Assumption

littlemiso

Reaction score
So...I am hearing and my boyfriend is hearing. I just started getting into ASL not too long ago and I am steadily teaching my boyfriend ASL as well. Signing to me is more intimate and I would rather much sign to him than speak to him. Is that weird?

I also think if he and I were to break up and I were to ever date again, I would definitely consider a deaf man over a hearing man. The language is, to me, more meaningful. I'm not sure why.

Interesting perspective there. By the way, welcome to AD. And best wishes on your ASL journey.

Now your'e wondering out loud as well as asking us if it's weird that you'd rather sign to your significant other rather than enunciate/vocalize, especially the endearments to him. Well, I don't know, obviously but tell me something or at least ask yourself: Your brain is wired for hearing and speaking....is there something in the way (like past experiences or your upbringing) of you vocalizing those endearments and that "discomfort" can be lessened or hidden using ASL?

I am not a psychologist nor anything like that but the question did arise from somewhere in the inner recesses....I guess that comes from having been around for 64 years, lol!

You need not answer unless ya wanna come back and tell me to flake off and that'd be okay, too. Lol!

Enjoy your stay here.....

:welcome: to AD!

I know this hearing couple in which the wife started learning ASL and went to Gallaudet for degree in ASL linguistics and she had been teaching her hubby sign language. Now, they both use it a lot with each other. I found it strange at first but got used to it. LOL!

Interesting perspective there. By the way, welcome to AD. And best wishes on your ASL journey.

Now your'e wondering out loud as well as asking us if it's weird that you'd rather sign to your significant other rather than enunciate/vocalize, especially the endearments to him. Well, I don't know, obviously but tell me something or at least ask yourself: Your brain is wired for hearing and speaking....is there something in the way (like past experiences or your upbringing) of you vocalizing those endearments and that "discomfort" can be lessened or hidden using ASL?

I am not a psychologist nor anything like that but the question did arise from somewhere in the inner recesses....I guess that comes from having been around for 64 years, lol!

You need not answer unless ya wanna come back and tell me to flake off and that'd be okay, too. Lol!

Enjoy your stay here.....

I am definitely not going to tell you to flake off and thank you for the warm welcomes. I'm not sure of my discomforts right now. I haven't thought much into it and I was hoping someone may be able to relate? I almost feel ridiculous for posting a topic like this. :giggle:

:welcome: to AD!

I know this hearing couple in which the wife started learning ASL and went to Gallaudet for degree in ASL linguistics and she had been teaching her hubby sign language. Now, they both use it a lot with each other. I found it strange at first but got used to it. LOL!

That's awesome. I also wanted to go to Gallaudet but I wasn't sure if they accepted applications from Hearing students. I also want to get my PhD in Linguistics, how interesting!

I am definitely not going to tell you to flake off and thank you for the warm welcomes. I'm not sure of my discomforts right now. I haven't thought much into it and I was hoping someone may be able to relate? I almost feel ridiculous for posting a topic like this. :giggle:

This is about you and your comfort level not about what we think. It is very unusual, yes but nothing wrong with it. Dont feel ridiculous. :)

That's awesome. I also wanted to go to Gallaudet but I wasn't sure if they accepted applications from Hearing students. I also want to get my PhD in Linguistics, how interesting!

U can for grad and PhD programs...

Back