Stem Cell research

TiaraPrincess said:
I like the umbilical cord idea because it's not killing anything. It's amazing what your own cord can do ;).

Yes, unless the baby was born with congenital rubella. That's how the hospital confirmed I was born with rubella because of a blood test through the umbilical cord....I have a report on this concerning my heart surgery in Dec. 1969.

I believe if the baby had no pre-exisiting conditons at birth, then the cord is possibly ok for the stem cell research.

I read an article wherein it has clearly been mentioned that hair cell regeneration is still a long ways off- several decades at least.It is not just around the corner.As of 2004, the most realistic time frame is still 20 or more years in the future.
Secondly Regeneration will, if anything,incease the population of people who could benefit from hearing aids.It means it will be another aid to better hearing, just like aids are today. :scatter:

Secondly Regeneration will, if anything,incease the population of people who could benefit from hearing aids.It means it will be another aid to better hearing, just like aids are today.
Yeah, I read that someplace...it's just going to help the number of people who can benifit from conventional amplification, rather then CIs. It is not gonna be a cure....plus hair cell research is so underfunded that it's going to take years and years to produce any results....which is a good thing...I think they should concentrate more on curing things like cancer, depression and stuff like that!

Hey stem cell re-generation can restore hearing but it depends what kind of loss you have. If you lose half your hearing the hair cell re-generation can get you back your hearing. But if youre profoundly deaf the hair cell re-generation can get your hearing to around between 45DBs to 60 DBs means youre gonna wear a hearing aid. So i hope it get me around 45DB cause that means i can hear out of my hearing aid again.

Referring to Raven's post about daycares, etc....

Eh, what about schools? Close down all schools and force parents to homeschool their kids? I think not.

AnnyGuy said:
Referring to Raven's post about daycares, etc....

Eh, what about schools? Close down all schools and force parents to homeschool their kids? I think not.

Oy! What a mess that would be.

ravensteve1961 said:
And it was Liberal democrats cause social changes like women can now work and leave their kids at day care centers that cause kids to spread all kinds of dieases and viruses that might caused me to go deaf. Id like a law making day care centers ILLEGAL! If the mother cant take care her kid by being at home wait for kids be at least 16 and then she can go get a job. Or hire a nanny to watch her kids then she should stay at home. I could be deaf because what my nephews passed on to me!

u sound like an angry person who dont accept urself as a deaf person. u want to blame someone instead of take responsibility and move on.

sorry for :topic:

back to stem cell topic, i strongly doubt that deaf culture will go away cuz deaf is like virus. u find a cure for virus, new virus comes up.

Banjo said:
My opinion is that if deafness ever become curable. People should be given a choice instead of being forced to take it.

These who has been deaf for so long and some of them may not want to become hearing shouldn't be forced to become one. However, I do believe that if a baby or a child is confirmed to be deaf or HoH, it should be performed on them. However, they still shouldn't force parents to make that choice, it's a parent's choice on deciding to cure deafness or not.

I have to agree on some opinions. People should be given a choice instead of being force to take it. Not everybdoy want to be deaf that true. But we also shouldn't worry about deaf culture disappearing. Deaf Culture informations are already in history books, we still know the langauges of ASL and it will always be with us. People shouldn't be afraid of new changes. In life, there is always going to be a risks but sometimes we have to take it. It's up to you. I am okay with the changes and who knows life could be better for us. ~ ItalianGemRose

AvengedSevenfol said:
in order to do stem cell research, you need to live embyro's, and that is why bush doesn't support it.

you have to kill what could potentially become a human being, just like you and me.

Actually,, Mothers who give births they use the stem cells from the umbilical cord from the baby and most time it successful to help fight some type of cancers. Stem cells could do a lot of good to save a life. Bush won't be around to be President forever so I am sure once they have new vote for new president could change it. I am not much of a big fan on Bush since he done some things he does I don't totally agrees on. Smile ~ ItalianGemRose :type:

i dont know why many of you are so defiant that you do not want the deaf world to hear again.

just like the very first post... "im very scared..deaf culture will be gone"....what the heck...dont you want to hear again?

face it...deafness is a disability and nobody wants to be disabled.
what the heck are you scared of? that everybody else will hear and you will be the only person who will stay deaf?

i think thats pretty stupid. I cant wait to hear. I wish this was around the corner but unfortunatly it will be another 10 or 20 years before it can be implemented in humans.

you guys are living in the hearing world as a deaf person. there is no "Deaf world". its the "Hearing world" with deaf people inside of it because 99% of the entire planet can hear but only 1% are deaf. you guys live in a hearing world and thats the end of it. nobody wants to write on paper and say this is what i want. nobody wants to point at the menu instead of being able to say "i want to order the ________." nobody wants to look like an idiot when people talk to them and all they do is stare and shrug and walk away.

if the world was backwards...such as 99% were deaf and 1% could hear, then i would defend you guys and say yes your right, they shouldnt cure deafness, but thats not the way it is, so accept it, in 100 years, i HOPE deafness is null and void and does not exist anymore.

if i were a billionair, i would donate millions of dollars to help stem cell research cure deafness.

-edit- oh yeah, and dont say "oh, but god said no! he made you deaf for a reason!"....if god wanted me deaf...he wouldnt have let us invent the CI. if god wanted me deaf..he wouldnt have let us discover stem cell research. god is just a name for cultural and social control.

Banjo said:
My opinion is that if deafness ever become curable. People should be given a choice instead of being forced to take it.

These who has been deaf for so long and some of them may not want to become hearing shouldn't be forced to become one. However, I do believe that if a baby or a child is confirmed to be deaf or HoH, it should be performed on them. However, they still shouldn't force parents to make that choice, it's a parent's choice on deciding to cure deafness or not.

I agree with you on this. I was born with spina bifida, or in layman's terms, I was born with a hole in my spine. It was closed early on, but I was left with paralysis, and I'm wheelchair bound. Having lived my life this way for so long, I'm not sure I would want to take the "cure" for this if it were found and offered to me. On the other hand, I also am not going to prevent someone else from accepting that cure should they want it.

This is unrelated to stem cells, but speaking about treatments for SB, they have been doing fetal surgery now for a few years as a treatment for spina bifida. It's still not routine, but I know of a hospital in California that has a Fetal Surgery program. It's offered to women who are at least 20 weeks pregnant and have an ultrasound suggestive of SB.

They make an incision into the womb. Then, they temporarily remove the fetus from the uterus, close the defect, and put the fetus back inside, and stitch the mother's abdominal incision. It sounds like a neat thing, except, almost all of the time, the child is born prematurely. I've thought about this over the years, and I ahve decided that if I found myself pregnant with an SB child, I'd probably choose to carry the baby to term, and then, go the traditional route of letting the doctors perform surgery shortly after birth.

I know that my child would probably have a more profound defect, but if I don't see the benefit of doing fetal surgery on the child if they will be disabled anyway due to their prematurity. It sounds like you're trading one can for another.

But, anyway....I'm sorry..I went :topic:

Back to our original program....sorry guys. :lol:

yeah i agree with you

Cjanik said:
i dont know why many of you are so defiant that you do not want the deaf world to hear again.

just like the very first post... "im very scared..deaf culture will be gone"....what the heck...dont you want to hear again?

face it...deafness is a disability and nobody wants to be disabled.
what the heck are you scared of? that everybody else will hear and you will be the only person who will stay deaf?

i think thats pretty stupid. I cant wait to hear. I wish this was around the corner but unfortunatly it will be another 10 or 20 years before it can be implemented in humans.

you guys are living in the hearing world as a deaf person. there is no "Deaf world". its the "Hearing world" with deaf people inside of it because 99% of the entire planet can hear but only 1% are deaf. you guys live in a hearing world and thats the end of it. nobody wants to write on paper and say this is what i want. nobody wants to point at the menu instead of being able to say "i want to order the ________." nobody wants to look like an idiot when people talk to them and all they do is stare and shrug and walk away.

if the world was backwards...such as 99% were deaf and 1% could hear, then i would defend you guys and say yes your right, they shouldnt cure deafness, but thats not the way it is, so accept it, in 100 years, i HOPE deafness is null and void and does not exist anymore.

if i were a billionair, i would donate millions of dollars to help stem cell research cure deafness.

-edit- oh yeah, and dont say "oh, but god said no! he made you deaf for a reason!"....if god wanted me deaf...he wouldnt have let us invent the CI. if god wanted me deaf..he wouldnt have let us discover stem cell research. god is just a name for cultural and social control.
PERIOD!!!!

ravensteve1961 said:
Stem cells could be the answer to 50% dieases and illnesses. It could make you hear again or see again. Or it could cure diebetes,Heart problems,Liver Cancer,Lung cancer,Alzheimer's diease and even make you walk again. I think even NASA should work on stem cells in space it might create a whole new medical field.

I have to agree with you that stem cells could change lives to make people's health for the better and not for the worest. We live in a times where there are so many health problems that need to have some good chances to have a good chance of survival on cures by stem cells. ~ ItalianGemRose :thumb:

TiaraPrincess said:
Yeah, I think that Bush isn't against the umbilical cord. I think that maybe Bush is afraid that people will abuse it if we start funding umbilical cord stem search research. Once you give in to one thing, then people may want more which might lead to abuse of these studies. I like the umbilical cord idea because it's not killing anything. It's amazing what your own cord can do ;).
I have to agree with you. The umbilical cords can do lot of help since it carry stem cells in it and it not killing anythng from the mother and the baby which is perfectly safe what the doctors do. I know Bush is not against that. But I also think Bush is not a doctor and I am pretty sure the doctors know more about finding a way to help heal the sick. I think GOD,, give doctors that gift to help heal the sick and get them better. All they can do is do their best. Italiangemrose :)

I have to agree with you there that commuications is very important and exists i most of the jobs nowdays requires hiring people for phone and speaking and much more. Well said! ItalianGemRose
Vicki said:
what is the meaning of overhyped?@_@?please tell me first..

.........Don't you want to hear as normal people? I think hearing is very important. I want to hearing again! I want to know how to speak! How to speak mother language correctly! How to speak English ! How to speak Mardarin! I can't hear the speech and I don't know how to speech of the words! And I want to hear phone! And I want to talk with and able to hear normal people! And get hearing can increase the opportunity of getting job!!! And I want to be a teacher or a clerk. No matter what job I want, communication is very important and is existed in most of the job NOWADAYS!!!

Anyway, what is your comment and feeling?

Just thinking about stem cell and possibility of having my hearing cured. Can you imagine, suddenly not being able to turn off the sound coming in?? I've had hearing impairment all my life and been profoundly deaf the past 15 years. Just a thought. I like CI idea, I can still turn it off. But can you even imagine what it would be like to have your hearing restored to 25db if it was even possible? I have no idea what its like to have perfect hearing. Would probably take me a long time to adjust, be wearing earmuffs or earplugs. LOL

Personally I'd rather have all my senses intact, so I could enjoy all sorts of sounds and sight and everything else like most people do.

(Also I wish there was cure for migraine :) )

I don't think the deaf culture is worth nothing,
on the contrary I feel enormous respect for the deaf and their achievements but really would you rather stay deaf and mute than enjoy music, singing, not having to looking for CC movies, not having problems communicating with hearing people and so on.....???

This is not the issue of hearing- better, deaf worse. Absolutely not,
it's the issue of health and not having limited senses.

Fuzzy

I agree with audiofuzzy.

I had more hearing growing up, I was fortunate (and unfortunate) to be able to enjoy music. The reason I feel unfortunate now, is because I know what I am missing, but at same time I'm fortunate for the experience.

the Deaf community is great, so nice to be able to interact with others without having to try so hard to keep up with conversation via reading lips.

Back