starkey destiny btes...or maybe just btes with directional mics in general question

HOH33stars

Reaction score
hey all!
question for those of you with digital aids...
So I had the Starkey Destiny 200 btes for about a month...these didn't have directional mics...just amplified. We found out later that my hearing went down even further (it's now borderline moderate-severe in both ears) so I had to get a different set of aids. I ended up getting the Starkey Destiny Extra Power 1200 btes...these ones have directional mics and a whole bunch of other stuff.
The only thing is that with these i'm finding that they like "cut out" sometimes...one ear may cut in and out...i'll be talking with someone and some other sound may happen and the voice gets distorted or weird...
I'm still waiting for the proper set of molds for these, so i thought that maybe this was why (i had these hidden molds for my other ones...they're not open fit, but kinda half way between a full mold and an open fit...they're kinda weird, they fit entirely in the canal with the tube going up to the BTE part) anyway they're not proper for these aids since they're so strong so my full molds are on order...the aids whistle constantly and have feedback as a result...so i was thinking that maybe the issues i'm having with them are because of them trying to automatically adjust to the constant feedback...but i don't really know? i'm still getting used to aids in general...
I'm not a fan of my audiologist and at this point i just want to get the molds, have these things programmed and not have to visit her for a while.
i don't feel like these ones are as loud as my previous aids either...i have them turned up all the way and i still feel like i'm working to hear. i don't want to get retested again...i do have a feeling that maybe my hearing has gone down more and that's why...
no one knows why my hearing is going down. i'm sick of going to the doctor and audis though...so i just want to be able to hear with the aids and go on my everyday life.
But anyway...if anyone has any experience with aids like these...can you offer any advise?
oh yeah...one more question. these btes are so big that they're making my ears hurt...almost like they're too heavy for my ears or they're rubbing on them. i'm not used to wearing hearing aids so i don't know if that's why...but if anyone has any advise on this too i'd appreciate it...

The cutting in and out could be a problem with the battery contacts. Open it and wipe off the battery with a cloth. If that does not help it could be malfunctioning in the electronics in the aid. You can probably discuss that when you get your full shell ear molds.

As for the size and weight, you just have to get used to it.

when i wore a pair of oticon digifocus II super power bte's, they also had a tendency to cut in and out. according to my ha audi, the problem was caused by the internal electronics which stopped working.

i also wonder if the cutting in and out that you're experiencing might be due to the compression setting being programmed too high? if you don't like how the compression sounds, it can always be disabled.

Back