Staff Tackles and Chokes Deaf Shopper suspected of Shoplifting

Now I know that Forever 21 is bad deal. The security guard should not use phsyical force, get training in ADA too.

As for my job, if someone walk off without paying, I go after them, and remind them to pay in nice way. If they refuse then I text to one of security officer then they take care of shoplifter. I can't use physical force.

Good thing my workplace have people who are very nice and sometimes they forget to pay.

Few times when school kids try to steal, and security caught them and told them they have to pay or put things back where they belong. One time they made kids sit on bench until their teacher or parent came and they deal with them not me.

I wanted to add, security at my work know how to deal with deaf people because of me. If there are new security people, my friends would train them and tell them how to deal with deaf people. Security guards are not bad as long you get to know them where you work or frequent.

Now I know that Forever 21 is bad deal. The security guard should not use phsyical force, get training in ADA too.
ADA? what for?

As for my job, if someone walk off without paying, I go after them, and remind them to pay in nice way. If they refuse then I text to one of security officer then they take care of shoplifter. I can't use physical force.
that's what they did.

Good thing my workplace have people who are very nice and sometimes they forget to pay.

Few times when school kids try to steal, and security caught them and told them they have to pay or put things back where they belong. One time they made kids sit on bench until their teacher or parent came and they deal with them not me.
that's what happened. The security ran to them and identified himself. The deaf guys acknowledged it and then ran away.

Perhaps these deaf guys need to get a training in civil class - do not steal. do not run away. :)

ADA? what for?

To deal with people with disablity in civil way. I read that their security guard kicked a service animal also. Will never shop at Forever 21. Good thing I haven't shop there altough Mall of America have that store.

To deal with people with disablity in civil way. I read that their security guard kicked a service animal also. Will never shop at Forever 21. Good thing I haven't shop there altough Mall of America have that store.

The issue is with that store only especially the ignorant manager.... not the entire stores.

That is just within that agency or county. Other counties and agencies have their own records. You would have to look up the state and federal records to obtain more information on his criminal history. :)

I did.... All I found was traffic tickets. :dunno:

$50,000 bail....... something just isn't adding up here.

http://www.alldeaf.com/deaf-news/80894-brother-speaks-out-deaf-theft-incident.html

According to the L.A. District Attorney's Office, Alejandro Rea has a history of petty theft. He pleaded guilty in a case back in 2002 and no contest for another incident in 2008. In the current case he is being charged with one count of 2nd-degree robbery and one count of petty theft with priors.

"Our internal investigation has shown conclusively that the security guard approached and identified himself to the suspect after the light and sound anti-theft alarms were triggered. The suspect visually acknowledged the guard and then turned and fled the scene. According to media reports, the suspect was arrested and charged with robbery and shoplifting by the LAPD. We recognize that the security guard used excessive force, which is against our store policy and have suspended him indefinitely," wrote Kristen Strickler, Forever 21 Marketing Dept.

Alejandro Rea remained in jail Friday afternoon with bail set at $55,000. Pablo Rea said Friday he has contacted an attorney.

So the alarm had both flasher and beeper. The security guard identified himself. The suspect ran away. The suspect has been charged with felony robbery and shoplifting. I guess that pretty much answered my questions in my Post #21.

The security guard's handling on this issue via citizen's arrest was justified. Too bad Forever 21 had to look nice for PR purpose by firing him.

aha,, looks like there was another side to the story. the deaf guy had a history of shoplifting plus the store says he ran for it. that is a "he said , they said" thing if it wasn't captured on store video. still it is good that they admitted to excessive force, he might be able to plea it down to a misdemeanor . but wow, $55,000 bail for shoplifting?? now that is excessive.

Due to California's law and repeated offenses..... he has gone from misdemeanor to felony.

Good - one less thief off the street.

http://www.alldeaf.com/deaf-news/80894-brother-speaks-out-deaf-theft-incident.html

So the alarm had both flasher and beeper. The security guard identified himself. The suspect ran away. The suspect has been charged with felony robbery and shoplifting. I guess that pretty much answered my questions in my Post #21.

The security guard's handling on this issue via citizen's arrest was justified. Too bad Forever 21 had to look nice for PR purpose by firing him.

Fire him or suspend him?

50k is still pretty high bail for that..... :hmm:

It could be. The reporter already had a statement regarding Alejandro's petty history from the L.A. District Attorney's Office Why didn't the reporter ask Pablo about it during the interview? I am just wondering about that.
law 101 - keep your mouth shut. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.

I thought the security guard placed Alejandro in a choke hold for several minutes is extreme. Alejandro did not fight back.
He didn't fight back. why? because the security guard wasn't really choking him. He was "locking" him in place until the police arrives. See how the suspect was all calm (not gasping for breath) when he was handcuffed by cop? That means he wasn't really choked to death nor was in a great fear of his life.

What motivated the security guard to do it in the first place?
Fleeing. Fighting back. what else? The law allows him to use reasonable force to detain one until police arrives.

The article said - "suspended him indefinitely".... which is pretty obvious. He's a bye-bye.

don't know. don't care. one less thief off the street - deaf or hearing. all same to me.

I don't care either. I wish they would raise bail for every offense. It is interesting though.

sure feel sorry for the guy being in prison in LA !!!! some of the worse prisons in america there. i saw TV shows about the LA prisons and that makes me say "thank god" i quit that stuff when i turned 18

why? I don't feel sorry at all - not one tiny bit. Would you still feel sorry for him if he robbed your house?

I feel sorry for security guard because he got fired for doing his duty. Excessive force? Comical. Forever 21 management is a bunch of pansies and they're sending message to public - "c'mon! rob my store and we won't detain you! I'll fire whoever stopped you! Heck! I'll pay you million dollars lawsuit settlement if you got injured by security guard!"

:roll:

I don't care either. I wish they would raise bail for every offense. It is interesting though.

nah - not for misdemeanor charge but for felony charge - keep'em as high as you can!

sure feel sorry for the guy being in prison in LA !!!! some of the worse prisons in america there. i saw TV shows about the LA prisons and that makes me say "thank god" i quit that stuff when i turned 18

Then he shouldnt steal in the first place. You do the crime, you do the time.

Like I said earlier, I know about him, he's nothing but a criminal. Serves him right but I do THINK that choking him is NOT the proper way. It's NEVER is because it invites abuse of power.

And another thing.. that deaf boy is illegal. He was not born here. He stole a lot, on a daily basis.. basically survive on stolen items.

choke holds have actually been outlawed at a number of states and citiy police forces. the choke hold can either cut off the airway or stop blood flow to the head. matt hamill needs to do more choke holds !! he has not won with a submission yet.

Yes, definitely answers the questions. The guy is a scumbag, deaf or not. But, a chokehold is still excessive force. You, of course, don't think so, but a majority of this board and the population disagrees with you, and so do many police departments and state laws.

Anyway, I have very little sympathy for the two deaf guys at this point. If what you've posted (it still needs to be verified by independent investigation and eyewitnesses) is true, then these two guys brought the situation completely on themselves and were possibly even trying to use their deafness as a way to get out of the act. Thanks for setting deaf awareness two steps back, morons.

choke holds have actually been outlawed at a number of states and citiy police forces. the choke hold can either cut off the airway or stop blood flow to the head. matt hamill needs to do more choke holds !! he has not won with a submission yet.

I will email him and let him know.

What a bummer!....Since he's a repeat offender, he'll most likely get prison time.Guess he's got what some call "butter fingers"...has a habit of snitching things he wants, but can't afford to pay for....Lock him up!

Back