Ssi

Well, I have SSDI and SSI too. I have Financial Aid for college classes. You have to apply the Pell Grant can get you free cost. No need to worry. Also you have SSI too. You can get SSI and get Pell Grant get you free cost for college tution and free books you need.

That what I did that before. :D

I'm sorry, but they don't award SSI and SSDI together. You either have one or the other. Unless you have worked and paid into the system, you do not qualify for SSDI. Also, you have to have a disability that prevents working at anytime in the future.

Well, I have SSDI and SSI too. I have Financial Aid for college classes. You have to apply the Pell Grant can get you free cost. No need to worry. Also you have SSI too. You can get SSI and get Pell Grant get you free cost for college tution and free books you need.

Wow. I did not know that you get both SSDI and SSI together. Did you receive your SSI first, and then later you switched it to SSDI?

Deafies gotta be very lucky to recieve SSI or SSDI what hearing ones cannot get its. :giggle:

Being deaf > being hearing.

Wow. I did not know that you get both SSDI and SSI together. Did you receive your SSI first, and then later you switched it to SSDI?

no, you can't have SSI and SSDI in same time because SSDI is more money than SSI.

if you work past 5 years or 10 years, you are already automatically qualified for SSDI because you don't need SSI. this is why SSI will pay you small.

SSDI will pay you more money like to add $500 or $600 with SSI.

if you don't work for anyone, then you are still on SSI forever.

Garrett

I shouldn't write when :mad: but.......

- More deaf/HoH are from poor families
From Center for Assessment and Demographic Studies at Gally: DEMOGRAPHIC ASPECTS OF HEARING IMPAIRMENT: QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS Third Edition, 1994
The prevalence of hearing impairment at all ages decreases as family income increases (Table 8). Overall, those with a family income of less than $10,000 are twice as likely as those with a family income of $50,000 and over to have hearing impairment.

- More deaf/HoH adults don't graduate from high school
In the adult population, the prevalence of hearing impairment is greater for those who are not high school graduates (i.e., have less than 12 years' education) than for high school graduates (Table 7).

- Many deaf/HoH don't get help for any government
From University of Buffalo School of Public Health and Health Professions: Disability Statistics
--1 out of 7 hearing impaired will not seek help
--it takes an average of 7 years for someone with a hearing impairment to seek help

- Few deaf/HoH get SSI
From University of Northern Colorado - National Center for Low-Incidence Disabilities
56,179 individuals in the United States receive Social Security disability benefits because of deafness (Social Security Administration, 2004).

- College is so expensive
From CNNMoney: Average college cost breaks $30,000
Average for 4-year private school passes key mark; total costs for both public and private schools up well above inflation.
The average cost of a four-year private college jumped to $30,367 this school year, the first time the average has broken the $30,000 mark.

As they have for the past 11 years, average college costs rose faster than inflation, according the latest report from the College Board, a non-profit association of 4,500 schools, colleges and universities.

- Deaf/HoH students have struggles more than hearing students
No need for link, right??

- Deaf struggle more in jobs also
Communication barriers for deaf employees: Needs assessment and problem-solving strategies

Deaf people experience higher rates of unemployment and underemployment and earn lifetime wages that are between $356,000 and $609,000 less than their comparably educated normally hearing counterparts. This results in a substantial loss of earning power and career identity for members of this underutilized population of workers. This article examines how communication difficulties pose a major barrier to employment retention and advancement for deaf employees. These barriers exist (a) within the employee in terms of nonfluent use of English and reliance upon American Sign Language, (b) with the employment site, and (c) with agency service personnel. Primarily, these barriers reflect a lack of understanding of the cultural and communication needs of deaf people. Strategies to ameliorate these barriers include a model of long-term employment support using an ecological framework.

- My point: SSI is necessary for some deaf. NOT because of "just lazy", but because average education and income is low for deaf/HoH. The best SSI is for students because education will give better jobs. Not every family has money for college, but deaf/HoH will struggle more without education than hearing. The US government decided deaf qualify for SSI so why do people here doubt the government? As PuyoPiyo said "That is exactly what the SSI for."

I have never heard SSDI and SSI to get both that unheard of in this situation. But pell grant u get that from finaical aide. Not from SSI or SSDI. I fond that odd.

Hey,.... You have NO RIGHT to judge anyone who are on SSI... Yes ..I know many deaf friends are on it because they are lazy... Again other many friends who are on it also deserve it.... there are many factors....

STOP JUDGING on people on SSI....

YOu got that right. Too many deaf I noticed get wrong idea why people on SSI, SSA and SSDI. Boy,, they need to get off their high horses. :)

I'm sorry, but they don't award SSI and SSDI together. You either have one or the other. Unless you have worked and paid into the system, you do not qualify for SSDI. Also, you have to have a disability that prevents working at anytime in the future.

Actually, you're wrong. I get both SSI and SSDI.

Hey,.... You have NO RIGHT to judge anyone who are on SSI... Yes ..I know many deaf friends are on it because they are lazy... Again other many friends who are on it also deserve it.... there are many factors....

STOP JUDGING on people on SSI....

Are you on SSI/SSDI? If so, that explains!
If you can't find a job in that town where you live in, find a way, move to another city to find a job. Try to set up your own business, or if you are good at art, or handcraft, or whatever your skill is, make them, sell to your customers to make a money. FIND A WAY!
There are so many opportunities to get a money in United States.
International deaf do not depend on the pension (SSI) from the government, they don't complain. They just work too hard to get money.
People who are on SSI can't have a dream house, dream car.
Get out of SSI to pursue the dream to make their dream comes true.

Many deaf college students depend on SSI. What about hearing people? They use the student financial loan, also getting part-time jobs. Tell me how many deaf college students are having a part-time jobs? :afro:

Why rely on SSDI/SSI? Have you tried to find a part-time job?

[/INDENT

having had SSI and FAS(finanical aid) when i was a college student
SSI for rent and food during college year. FAS for paying books cuz VR was no longer handing my case. Until I finished college degree I got a full time job so i stopped getting SSI.​

Back