ssi and marriage?

its probably because they earned over the SGA amounts for the month.

Indeed, it is. what else did they get overpaid, obvious by working. For SSDI, it takes SSA to recognizes that they are working by seeing tax report following the year later or two. Most of SSDI benefit peopel did not report to them and did not read what SGA's rules. They seem to keep SS benefits until they become overpaid. SSA does not pry into their bank accounts since they already paid SS taxes by working in the past. However, any disabled people who are on SSDI, ALWAYS report to SSA, give their pay stubs per month (4 weeks, not 5 weeks) or/and work activity report (SSA821) form to determine if it applies to SGA or not in order to avoid overpayment.

SGA Amounts

Trial Work Period

While, SSI, it takes SSA to notice and constantly find out earlier through their bank statements and their jobs that they contact their bosses. Therefore, any SSI benefit people still need to report to SSA in order to avoid overpayment. Give SSA the paystubs or/and Work activitiy report form ( SSA 821).

SSI and SSDI's procedure and rules are completely different. The best thing is to keep reporting to SSA with your working history. Fill out the form, "work activity report" SSA 821 form. WHen you are done on SSA 821. ALways copy of ssa 821 for yourself and give the original form to SSA for your own backups.

Perhaps you should read again.

"Effective January 2009, the SSI payment for an eligible individual is $674 per month and $1,011 per month for an eligible couple."

I know what the site says. No need to reread what I already know. :lol:

Indeed, it is. what else did they get overpaid, obvious by working. For SSDI, it takes SSA to recognizes that they are working by seeing tax report following the year later or two. Most of SSDI benefit peopel did not report to them and did not read what SGA's rules. They seem to keep SS benefits until they become overpaid. SSA does not pry into their bank accounts since they already paid SS taxes by working in the past. However, any disabled people who are on SSDI, ALWAYS report to SSA, give their pay stubs per month (4 weeks, not 5 weeks) or/and work activity report (SSA821) form to determine if it applies to SGA or not in order to avoid overpayment.

SGA Amounts

Trial Work Period

While, SSI, it takes SSA to notice and constantly find out earlier through their bank statements and their jobs that they contact their bosses. Therefore, any SSI benefit people still need to report to SSA in order to avoid overpayment. Give SSA the paystubs or/and Work activitiy report form ( SSA 821).

SSI and SSDI's procedure and rules are completely different. The best thing is to keep reporting to SSA with your working history. Fill out the form, "work activity report" SSA 821 form. WHen you are done on SSA 821. ALways copy of ssa 821 for yourself and give the original form to SSA for your own backups.

Anyway you slice it their still forcing people into poverty. You either work your ass off trying to make it out of poverty, which is near impossible to do for most with a disability, or you just stay poor.

My wife is getting SSDI and while SSI is complently different. Again, it base on indiviual issue on person. I am not enough "disability" to get one. Anyway...

She already inform that we married and they say ok.. update and that it.. nothing process or anything.. we save money that SSDI until learn that SSDI isn't same as SSI. It doesn't base on my income. It base on wife's income and her condition of health disability.

It is interesting those are different...I am free from SSI long time ago.. more than 10 years ago... I don't missed that...

Again; it is important to do the tax paper work and it will tell us if she make too much money and have to lean money back to SSA. Normally have to pay back 300 to 500 dollars a year depend on her second job as part time. She can't stay or become restless stay home often. Can't blame her for that but SSDI benefit is security future increase but! Again still risk can lose SSDI if I passed away and one day government funds are gone...

When I don't understand what disability affect people or something like that until I see my own eyes. I do see what disability on Deaf people but it is interesting... I am not saying as pity for Deaf. No... It about ability to approach to people or job or so on. Beside she born with disability due deafness...

What I over heard that SSDI will increase and she more start thinking about CLOSE IT... due she doesn't want to overpayment if the government pay her more and more stay home often being not able get job and not want screw up with government. know what I am saying?? So I heard it will big buck of increase.

Again; no follow up note or anything... we keep update on tax paper work so on on...

IF someone who on SSI and enourage themselve to cut once to get married because SSI couldn't fit what we need... basic live on cheap and probably live next door with high crime location. Forget...

My wife is getting SSDI and while SSI is complently different. Again, it base on indiviual issue on person. I am not enough "disability" to get one. Anyway...

She already inform that we married and they say ok.. update and that it.. nothing process or anything.. we save money that SSDI until learn that SSDI isn't same as SSI. It doesn't base on my income. It base on wife's income and her condition of health disability.

It is interesting those are different...I am free from SSI long time ago.. more than 10 years ago... I don't missed that...

Again; it is important to do the tax paper work and it will tell us if she make too much money and have to lean money back to SSA. Normally have to pay back 300 to 500 dollars a year depend on her second job as part time. She can't stay or become restless stay home often. Can't blame her for that but SSDI benefit is security future increase but! Again still risk can lose SSDI if I passed away and one day government funds are gone...

When I don't understand what disability affect people or something like that until I see my own eyes. I do see what disability on Deaf people but it is interesting... I am not saying as pity for Deaf. No... It about ability to approach to people or job or so on. Beside she born with disability due deafness...

What I over heard that SSDI will increase and she more start thinking about CLOSE IT... due she doesn't want to overpayment if the government pay her more and more stay home often being not able get job and not want screw up with government. know what I am saying?? So I heard it will big buck of increase.

Again; no follow up note or anything... we keep update on tax paper work so on on...

IF someone who on SSI and enourage themselve to cut once to get married because SSI couldn't fit what we need... basic live on cheap and probably live next door with high crime location. Forget...

Thank you zerodog. The website will also tell you that the amount can vary not just from person to person, but from state to state.

Has anyone here on AD filled out the Form SSA-821-BK ?
So frisky - what you are saying if you have a part time job and getting SSDI/SSI earning less then $980 part time job every 4 weeks, you WILL be "safe" as long you report it and they wont count it to make it into a overpayment issue ?

So frisky - what you are saying if you have a part time job and getting SSDI/SSI earning less then $980 part time job every 4 weeks, you WILL be "safe" as long you report it and they wont count it to make it into a overpayment issue ?

yes i have filled out the form SSA 821 and did make copy for me and give the original form to SSA while i was in college. It would help claims representative to keep track of your working history and see if it wouldnt go over the SSA limited.

for 2009, if you are on SSDI, you may have a part time job and earning under 980 per months if you have already used up the trail work period and better keep earning under $980 per month (4 weeks, not 5 weeks) For anyone who first time apply for SSDI and have never worked before then they can earn more than 980 per month but only for 9 months called Trial work period. Once you used up 9 months of TWP then keep $$ under 980 per monthly from now on. TWP is a " giving people chances to earn as much as they can continue to see if they can handle with working without using SS benefits" once they realize that they are comfortable with working then drop SSDI and did use up 9 months.

if you are on SSI, better talk to claims representative to see how much you can earn $$ that according to how much you have resource or incomes depending on how much amount of earning you can make. FYI the amount of SSI paying you the same amount what you plan to earn $$ but it does pay SS taxes once you work long enough to be insured then it will become SSDI and SSI will be dropped.

While i was in college, i was on SSI and i did work too. indeed, i did get overpaid but i m glad i did that because i did pay SS taxes during my college time. Therefore, i am eligible for SSDI any time if i decide to stop working but i am still working. =)

SSI has lots of requires to know anyone's resources and incomes first before they give the accuarate amount of SSI to match with your resources. thats why every one who gets different cases of ssi amounts.

frisky - this is the second time you mentioned 4 weeks, not 5 weeks thing again. Can you elaborate for me ? and thanks for the informative info.

frisky - this is the second time you mentioned 4 weeks, not 5 weeks thing again. Can you elaborate for me ? and thanks for the informative info.

some months have 5 weeks, right? SSA are interested in counting on 4 weeks of per month that can earn up to $980 per month or overpayment.

Thank you zerodog. The website will also tell you that the amount can vary not just from person to person, but from state to state.

Yes.. true true.. state to state...

You know what I don't like one thing but it vary... include everyone need read the fine fine print... IF you decide a job as full time make a lot money than what SSDI... they will or would ask to get all money back from begin.

My wife didn't know and who do all those stuff? Her parents until we get into married. We realized that she on SSDI... thanks to parents.. and been on that for 6 years until we married. We been talk about that issue but what benefit for to full time mother. I don't see a problem but one thing she doesn't like is she can't grow the money while I can because I don't get their tree and green fall at me... I can ask for uncle sam to give me some refund ;)

One thing --- SSI isn't good choice but benefit for college but still have to stick with rules about part time job or so on...

SSDI is nice thing because it pay enough but again... if we want full job and better insurance to cover health and better home... have to paid whole money back that she didn't know... we felt that may need stick with it and move on..

My wife getting mail annual for tax time, to fill that information and do that TAX. My wife only earn other part 10,000 a year from work and while other part is 15% different than what she earn. Since we learn that SSA will increase this year like 200 or 400 dollars more. Mean she need work less hour as part time. She didn't like that but what it keep her busy than stay home. She afraid if they discover that she have baby and they will increase her income? She didn't ask for more due child issue but what worse part for her... Doctor say high chance to have Deaf child due condition where she came from... No risk for brain damage or so on... just DEAF. :)

Point.. if they learn that child is Deaf and will increase more.. she doesn't want from anything due her parents are one do all work... due they are afraid that she not going have good future with future husband.. turn out we are fine.. sigh.. sorry for little off subject... but that point about tax do the paper work and if we input that tax include child they will pay her more? I am not worry about that and it just a issue that I bit not sure how it will solution going be like.

HAPPY TAX

Mean she need work less hour as part time. She didn't like that but what it keep her busy than stay home. She afraid if they discover that she have baby and they will increase her income?

I think you got this wrong. With SSA increasing the amount the SSDI and SSI get, this is to help to keep with the increasing expenses and inflation. It should not hurt you in anyway. WHY do you think she has to work less ? IF anything, as long she stays under 980 a month and report it monthly using SSA-821 as frisky said. You SHOULD be reporting that you have a child so you can get more to help to pay for child expenses. IF you happen to pass away - I beleive that your child would STILL get the benefits entitled to them (not your benefits but under your name) until that child is 21 in college or 18 yrs old. Wouldnt you want to make sure your child is set in the future in case something happens to your wife ?

If this increases the amount she gets, but overpaid due to lack of knowledge from past, (somebody stop me if i am wrong on this point) wouldnt this hurry up to pay off the overpayment ?

I understand and thaks for your comments. However, the thread is ssi and marriage.

I think you got this wrong. With SSA increasing the amount the SSDI and SSI get, this is to help to keep with the increasing expenses and inflation. It should not hurt you in anyway. WHY do you think she has to work less ? IF anything, as long she stays under 980 a month and report it monthly using SSA-821 as frisky said. You SHOULD be reporting that you have a child so you can get more to help to pay for child expenses. IF you happen to pass away - I beleive that your child would STILL get the benefits entitled to them (not your benefits but under your name) until that child is 21 in college or 18 yrs old. Wouldnt you want to make sure your child is set in the future in case something happens to your wife ?

If this increases the amount she gets, but overpaid due to lack of knowledge from past, (somebody stop me if i am wrong on this point) wouldnt this hurry up to pay off the overpayment ?

That $980 is not during the 9 month work trial. During that time a person is limited to only $670.

http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/COLA/twp.html

That $980 is not during the 9 month work trial. During that time a person is limited to only $670.

Trial Work Period

during trail work period, if you happen to earn more than 670 then it applies to TWP and start to count on months. If you make under 670 then it would not apples to twp. thats all. for 2009, its 700 now.

during trail work period, if you happen to earn more than 670 then it applies to TWP and start to count on months. If you make under 670 then it would not apples to twp. thats all. for 2009, its 700 now.

Exactly.

some months have 5 weeks, right? SSA are interested in counting on 4 weeks of per month that can earn up to $980 per month or overpayment.

No month has more then 31 days and 31 days is 4.42857143 weeks. So no month has 5 weeks.

I'm sure you are right though. The government probably rounds up and counts those extra days as a week. I still don't understand though, mathematically, how they can round up. 4.5 would round up to 5 not 4.42.

Thanks for clarifying that :)

Back