SS Overpayment repayment

What is SGA and TWP

SGA= Substantial Gainful Activity . TWP= trail work period.

As far as I understand it - SGA= $1070 a month TWP= $770 a mointh. If you start working while still disabled and you make over $770 a month while still receiving benefits - then the TWP counts for that month. You are allowed up to 9 twp's while still recieving benefits.

Now for some reason the SSA website does not explain the rules differences between the those recieving SSI's and SSDi's. IF you get ssi - this means you NEVER worked or have ENOUGH work credits to qualify for SSDI. From what I have seen - if you get ssi - and work, regardless of TWP's, SGA's amounts your money gets calculated by some unknown formula I havent figured out yet based on what you earned working and what you get via SSI which gives you what you get in SSI.

Now the story changes if you qualify for SSDI because you worked in the past and earned enough credits you get SSDI every month. Now if you add working to equation- my understanding is that as long you earn less then $770 a month- you can keep your SSDI and your work earnings with no so called overpayments/penalties. If you earn over 770 a month or SSA feels you started your work period, then twp starts until you accumulated 9 twps months- in this case you still keep the FULL SSDI and earnings. Once you accumulated more then 9 twp's, then you will have to earn less then 1070 a month to keep both work earnings or SSDI. Now if you earn a smidgen over 1070-- you lose the SSDI that month or if you get it - you will need to pay it back, hence the letters you get from SSA saying you overpaid.

My advice -- get a paper calender from the dollar store or find a free calender that businesses sometimes hand out for free. Write in your earnings weekly. It doesnt matter if you get SSI or SSDI. it will help your appeal case.

From what SSA told me in the office, if you get SSI - you need to report it weekly/monthly. IF you get SSDI - they will look at your earnings statement that IRS gets from your work and compare it to your benefits yearly.

Back