Spreading deaf awareness

Know what you could do? Write a short summary explaining your perspective as an "outsider" experiencing this approach (this forum) for your article.

You described feeling down as a hearing person wanting answers, yet you met rejection from the deaf community, put yourselves in our position. It's perfect as you can get to experience what we experience. :hug:

agentpigeon person,

Old hearing guy here. I'd like to tell you what I see.

A young college kid hanging out with his friends who all think it is an adventure to learn about "other people", but the truth is you have never been out on the streets and you know absolutely nothing about the hearing community you believe d/Deaf people should want to impress and receive acceptance from.

You are so academically inclined that when you mention "people connected with the deaf community" you ask for (interpreters, university professors) not even thinking about "friends, family, co-workers, fellow students" who would probably have much more of value to offer.

I say you have never been out on the streets because if you had the basic error of your initial post should have JuMPeD out at you: It is patently racist, or it would be if the term deaf were replaced with Black, Mexican, Native American, or any other ethnic group.

What kind of reaction would you have expected then?

I think you got off easy.

agentpigeon person,

A young college kid hanging out with his friends who all think it is an adventure to learn about "other people", but the truth is you have never been out on the streets and you know absolutely nothing about the hearing community you believe d/Deaf people should want to impress and receive acceptance from.

You are so academically inclined that when you mention "people connected with the deaf community" you ask for (interpreters, university professors) not even thinking about "friends, family, co-workers, fellow students" who would probably have much more of value to offer.

I say you have never been out on the streets because if you had the basic error of your initial post should have JuMPeD out at you: It is patently racist, or it would be if the term deaf were replaced with Black, Mexican, Native American, or any other ethnic group.

Hi Berry. You don't speak often, but you do speak accurately!:)

I think you're on to something, there..:hmm:

While I appreciate the OP's intent, I'll slink out from under the microscope until the weather improves. :lol:

Last edited:
agentpigeon person,

Well said, and so very true! Glad to see you posting, Berry.

Thanks, everyone, for the good perspective, regardless of how uncomfortable it is. :red cheeks: And thanks for the hug, Mrs. Bucket; I needed that. :aw:

You are quite perceptive, Berry. O_O I am, perhaps, too enamored with and focused on academics. (Heh heh. Just last week I was insisting that this one sentence I wrote hit the audience a certain way because the important part was at the end, despite my Dad's insistence otherwise. He said it made him feel a different way! I got caught up in theories and overlooked the actual effect! :giggle: Oops.) And I've not seen racism in action a whole lot, so I guess it doesn't jump at me (like you said) when I'm sounding like it, even if I don't mean to be it.

I'm a little bit puzzled at your saying (implying?) that learning isn't an adventure. Isn't it an adventure to learn? I want to learn EVERYTHING! :giggle:. . . But you're right that I'm ignorant. That's why I want to learn.

I still would like some feedback on the ideas I threw out (and I do REALLY like your suggestions, Mrs. Bucket and Missywinks). But I'm not going to be on again until after Christmas. Don't bash me too bad while I'm away, eh? :wink:

agentpigeon,

just one very simple statement for you. We do not need people to try spread deaf awareness when we all have been doing that for years upon years.

I would have to agree with Berry there. You really got off easily here, but your thoughts are very muchly appericated. Your heart is in the right place but eh... you just need to THINK about how to approach the issues.. I know you think we, Deaf people, are struggling everyday and need help.
I am profound deaf and have been since birth, and I have struggled with every typical problem that crops up for the Deaf people. But I haven't asked for ANY help because I WANT to prove to them that I can do it without hiding behind protests, parades, or hearing people who think they can help me out.

I single-handedly made so many accomplishments in my home town (Elkton, Maryland for you guys who is curious) to the point where the hearing people in that town and the towns/cities around there changed their point of view on Deaf people.

Do you really want to learn all about Deaf Culture, Deaf people and everything about Deaf? get your butt out of your chair and immerse yourself in the Deaf community ^_~ its only way to really learn about Deaf community, Deaf Culture and so on forth.

I went to the link in your post.

I will take time with this on the basis of your statement: “Despite how rigid and formal we may seem, we're actually pretty open to possibilities and ideas.”

Thanks, everyone, for the good perspective, regardless of how uncomfortable it is. :red cheeks: And thanks for the hug, Mrs. Bucket; I needed that.

I don't doubt you do need a hug, but I believe you are male and I only hug men who are close friends and family members. Hugging strange men could leave an impression that is inaccurate.

You are quite perceptive, Berry. O_O I am, perhaps, too enamored with and focused on academics.

Academic culture and Deaf culture are not, by nature, compatible.

Academic culture, like the typical American legal system, is very compartmentalized and low context.

How can you say you are my friend when we have coffee together in the morning, but not my friend at court, and now you want us to go hunting together – as WHAT ???

By nature you are an academic.

By nature if I were deaf I would be Deaf and among people who understood me.

And I've not seen racism in action a whole lot, so I guess it doesn't jump at me (like you said) when I'm sounding like it, even if I don't mean to be it.

I bet you have seen a lot of it, you just never recognized it.

The term "Ivory Tower" is used about academics for a reason.

Racism is easier to recognize once you have been the butt of it. As an older, blue eyed, blonde haired, halfbreed Native American, I've had my share. Being raised in multiethnic neighborhoods I've seen friends suffer from it. As a child, being best friends with a Coda, I have seen his parents suffer from it.

Most racism, and the most deadly racism is not “meant”. It is the casual assumption you, and your group, are superior. The group making the assumption is seldom even aware they have made it because to them it is both too natural and too obvious to require mentioning.

You reserve the right to edit “submissions” as Mrs Bucket pointed out.

And once they were edited would they mean what was originally intended? Or would they mean what your group thought was meant that was consistent with your perceptions?

I'm a little bit puzzled at your saying (implying?) that learning isn't an adventure. Isn't it an adventure to learn? I want to learn EVERYTHING! . . . But you're right that I'm ignorant. That's why I want to learn.

Personal distinction that I see as a common academic fallacy.

In their attempt to distance themselves from their subjects academics tend to learn “about” things rather than learn things.

When you study dinosaurs or ancient Mesopotamian culture you “learn about” them because there are no living examples in anyone's back yard.

Another distinction:

When you decide to learn something you begin an adventure.

When you decide to have an adventure learning is seldom achieved, regardless of what you may think.

People who think it is a great adventure to learn “about” Japanese culture run off to Japan and traipse around in Buddhist temples wearing shoes saying “Oh, dear, isn't that a darling statue.”

They find it impossible to understand why the Japanese Buddhist feels insulted.

Deaf culture, like Japanese culture, is alive and well, and here to stay. You don't have an adventure learning “about” it.

You learn the culture and that becomes the adventure.

So riddle this:

Do you want to learn Deaf culture?

Why?

Where do you see yourself in relation to Deaf culture a year from now?

Five years from now?

Ten?

Tadaa! My period without internet went longer than I expected, but, like a fruitcake, my return was inevitable! :D

Okay, responding -

I don't doubt you do need a hug, but I believe you are male and I only hug men who are close friends and family members. Hugging strange men could leave an impression that is inaccurate.
Quite, quite - that is, unless you follow these directions: How to Give a Man Hug That Is Not a Bear Hug | The Art of Manliness
XD I find it amusing. I'm curious: what tipped you off I'm male? Mannerisms? :hmm:

Academic culture and Deaf culture are not, by nature, compatible.
Which makes me wonder, What is academic culture compatible with? Why the disconnect? I've never heard the term "ivory tower" applied to academics before, but it seems to fit.

By nature you are an academic.
Ah, but I beg to differ. People are like multi-faceted gems. Depending on which side a person shows, you get a different view of what he/she is like! For example, I am turned a little different way from when I first appeared, right? Academy is only one part of me.

Personal distinction that I see as a common academic fallacy.

In their attempt to distance themselves from their subjects academics tend to learn “about” things rather than learn things.
Tend, perhaps, but they don't only learn "about" things. Acculturation (Acculturation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) is an accepted form of learning about cultures in the scientific community.

So riddle this:
Do you want to learn Deaf culture?

Why?

Where do you see yourself in relation to Deaf culture a year from now?

Five years from now?

Ten?
Ooh! I love riddles. Here's the answer: I am, through my friends here in my town. When I hang out with them, I make the decision to continue with them instead of break off the connection, because I like them. I like their language. I like who they are. I continue because I want more. I want to learn more about them, and by extension I want to learn about the larger culture in which they reside. I can't experience the larger culture first-hand except online (here, amongst other places). I am participating in what I can locally and online. I don't know where I'll be in relation to Deaf Culture in the future, but I figure I don't have to. Taking it as it comes is fine with me. I'm certainly enjoying it that way.
Riddle for you: With participation in a culture, what is wrong with also learning "about" what you haven't yet encountered?

I won't either, since I'm back in school. I guess I'll show up on this subject again once I've got something to show for it, and dont' worry - I'll be more respectful next time.

I won't either, since I'm back in school. I guess I'll show up on this subject again once I've got something to show for it, and dont' worry - I'll be more respectful next time.

Good. That's the key to making friends! (plus wearing a silly hat.)

Back