Sports Hearing Aid - Thesis

Stephen Walsh

Reaction score
Hi everybody

I'm Stephen, 27, final year student in D.I.T Dublin Ireland.

I am conducting research into playing sports (any type at all or just exercise) with with a hearing impairment. I would like to create some form of sports Hearing Aid.

Look, just to give a bit of context, my brothers are both Hard of Hearing and do not wear their Hearing Aids for sports. They have given me many reasons & i have formulated a survey too which i would be greatfull to anybody who would take the 5 mins or so to fill it in.

Just to give you further info, in 3rd year me and 3 class mates won numerous competitions in Ireland & Internationally for our assitive tech watch for the Deaf& Hard of Hearing. Just to show you all im passionate about helping in this area, you can read about this here. http://www.dit.ie/news/archive2015/latest/title,109526,en.html

I appreciate all and any feedback you may have.

The survey is located here on Typeform
https://stephenwalsh.typeform.com/to/DmStsa

Please take the time to fill it out i would appreciate it so much and it will help a ton.

All the best,
Stephen

I would just like to sy a huge thanks to anybody who took the time to complete my survey. It is much appreciated. If there are others who can help, please do. Its literally 5 minutes. Thank you

I don't know if it's relevant since now I have a CI, but when I had hearing aids, any analog aids I wore were definitely hit or miss as far as sports went. I could wear them for baseball and hiking if the weather was cool outside, but forget backpacking and climbing in the summer. Even ear gear couldn't help. They were very poor with regard to sweat. I found the Phonak Naida Q to be a great improvement as far as the device managing sweat and didn't have to remove it for the majority of sports activities, but it would be nice if there was a way to make that hearing aid fully waterproof.

I hate my CI's because i can't wear them under my hockey helmet. Yay they restored my hearing but why are they so ugly and big?

Back