Speech Therapy after extended break?

I have been asked where I am from frequently. Most people think I am from London.

An old pen pal of mine from the early days of internet and forums (aka BBS...) once said he was at a World Cup soccer match (I think World Cup)..in Chicago and someone asked him if he was from Germany. I don't think he had ever been out of the country.

A New Yorker thought I was from Boston (never been lol)

I have been asked where I am from frequently. Most people think I am from London.

I met a guy at the park and got talking to him , and he asked if I was from England . He said his wife was and I had an accent like her .
I should of asked if wife was hoh too. I thought this very funny .

No, it's exactly like having a thick accent is for hearing people. Although I DO love it when hearies ask me " What country are you from?"

I had speech therapy til I graduated from High School. Just recently I have started asking my kids and hubby if my speech has changed. I am told by many that I have really clear speech and that is amazing once they find out that I am profoundly hoh. If I ever felt that i was faltering, I would go back to speech therapy to improve it. My thoughts are.. if you want speech therapy to advance yourself, go for it. Although I understand that it is not covered by most insurance. Good luck!

No, it's exactly like having a thick accent is for hearing people. Although I DO love it when hearies ask me " What country are you from?"

All the time.. I get.. where are you from with your accent.~! I tell them I am HOH and it probably comes from that and the years of speech therapy I had til I graduated from High School. My hubby tells me anytime we go visit family in Texas.. I come back home with a heavy accent.. bwhahahahahahah :D

All the time.. I get.. where are you from with your accent.~! I tell them I am HOH and it probably comes from that and the years of speech therapy I had til I graduated from High School. My hubby tells me anytime we go visit family in Texas.. I come back home with a heavy accent.. bwhahahahahahah :D
LMAO I think that's true for just about anyone who may travel to a place where accents are different than their own and if the person stays long enough they take on that accent (either temporarily or permanently)... I don't know if the same happens with ASLers but betting it can happen.

It doesn't take very far apart to have a different accent. I am from Illinois east of St. Louis. I will never forget what a gal told me about going to a conference/training type of event in Chicago years ago and she was asked what part of the south she was from.

Back