Special smoke detectors give the deaf a fighting chance

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
Special smoke detectors give the deaf a fighting chance - NewsChannel 9 WSYR

It's something many of us take for granted; being able to hear a fire alarm in the middle of the night, warning us our lives could be in danger. But for one Central New Yorker, the issue's been front and center ever since she moved into her new apartment. She's deaf and has been searching for a special type of smoke detector.

Heather Hampsey, her boyfriend and many of their friends are deaf, but that hasn’t held any of them back in life. Heather is a graduate of R.I.T.

"I can hear with my hearing aid, but when I take it off, I'm deaf," said Heather.

Meaning Heather needs to replace her regular smoke detectors with ones that us bright lights, something she hasn't been able to afford.

"I need the bright lights in my eyes, so I know there's something going on where there's not supposed to be," Heather explained. "It would really, really help in feeling more safe in my apartment."

It turns out; the Moyers Corners Fire Department had just what Heather needed, left over from a federal grant program that supplied 12,000 regular smoke detectors and 600 special detectors for New Yorkers like Heather.

Fire Chief Edward Stevens told NewsChannel 9, "To be able to have the opportunity to provide that equipment that will give them the chance to get that early warning to get out of that life threatening situation quickly makes our jobs a lot easier in the field."

It would usually be up to Heather to buy her own special alarm because she lives in a privately owned apartment complex, but if you live in public or subsidized housing, that responsibility lies with your landlord.

Heather got the last two detectors for this round of the grant, but Moyers Corners is already looking forward to expanding the program next year.

"I feel a lot better. I really appreciate it," Heather said.

Thirteen fire departments in Onondaga County received close to 50 special detectors as part of the grant program.

hello thats an interesting piece. i was wondering if you are interested in giving me your views on the present Fire Alarm systems present for deaf persons. Your Cooperation would be greatly appreciated.
thank you

Back