Sorenson VP-100 Videophone

Political barriers?

This new technology is brilliant and will maintain its brilliance as long it's accessible to all who wants it.

Well in my case Sorenson has been way too slow to get us the new equipment because as I suspect the local sorenson representative was a former director of a competing deaf service agency.

Its high time that political barriers to technological advances be eliminated.

Richard Roehm

You guys got it wrong!!

Sorenson is in the process of opening 2 more call centers, one on East Coast and one on West Coast. Because they have already given out 10,000 videophones, their 5 call centers could barely handle that load during peak hours. They have a waiting list backlogged up to 20,000 to 30,000 more orders for new VP-100s!!

Suppose Sorenson gave out and satisfied all 40,000 customers and have only 5 call centers to handle the relay calls, what do you think would happen?? The result would be longer waiting times to make a phone call and angrier Deaf customers. Sorenson is playing smart by setting up call centers FIRST before quickly filling VP-100 orders. It has nothing to do with politics! Some of you already ordered a VP-100, please be patient as they will fill your order within 2 weeks after one call center opens.

Also, I already provided a link in an earlier post that you can check the status of your VP-100 order. Please check that link again.

One last thing, Sorenson has EVERY right to block access to other relay service companies because Sorenson PAID for your free VP-100, so you are required to use them for your relay calls. It is on their Terms of Service. If you don't like that fact, you can always mail back their VP-100 and buy your own (cost averages $80 to $150 for your own videophone) with no restrictions.

I hope my post has satisfied your concerns and curiousity.

So, the complaints that people who have VP-100's but are unable to get replacement VP's or have their VP's repaired are false? What is Sorenson doing about them?

Sorenson should NOT block VRS use of any other provider -- if I have difficulties getting my phone call completed because Sorenson can't "handle the load during peak hours" then I have the RIGHT to use another provider that meets my needs. All TRS providers have to follow this rule, so why should Sorenson be special enough to warrant an exception?

You do note that the other VRS providers provide virtually the same videophone equipment, FOR FREE, that can be used with Sorenson. I bet they realize that even though they could try to stoop to Sorenson's level and restrict customer choice, they know it's a better deal to let the customer choose their VRS provider based on QUALITY, not by force.

Deaf258 said:
You guys got it wrong!!

Sorenson is in the process of opening 2 more call centers, one on East Coast and one on West Coast. Because they have already given out 10,000 videophones, their 5 call centers could barely handle that load during peak hours. They have a waiting list backlogged up to 20,000 to 30,000 more orders for new VP-100s!!

Suppose Sorenson gave out and satisfied all 40,000 customers and have only 5 call centers to handle the relay calls, what do you think would happen?? The result would be longer waiting times to make a phone call and angrier Deaf customers. Sorenson is playing smart by setting up call centers FIRST before quickly filling VP-100 orders. It has nothing to do with politics! Some of you already ordered a VP-100, please be patient as they will fill your order within 2 weeks after one call center opens.

Also, I already provided a link in an earlier post that you can check the status of your VP-100 order. Please check that link again.

One last thing, Sorenson has EVERY right to block access to other relay service companies because Sorenson PAID for your free VP-100, so you are required to use them for your relay calls. It is on their Terms of Service. If you don't like that fact, you can always mail back their VP-100 and buy your own (cost averages $80 to $150 for your own videophone) with no restrictions.

I hope my post has satisfied your concerns and curiousity.

It's usually state specific -- did you get a PM from me re: Oklahoma's Account Manager?

yes I have my VP on order and btw the e mail of the man in oklahoma under sprint did not work anyway but my VP-100 is on the way

Oh, yeah? So, they just mailed it to you, or did someone come and install it?

Dennis said:
So, the complaints that people who have VP-100's but are unable to get replacement VP's or have their VP's repaired are false? What is Sorenson doing about them?
Where did the conversation started about replacing or repairing VP-100s?? And I am not discounting anyone's claims. I have already stated WHY it is taking Sorenson a little while to send out the videophones. I have already explained this in my last post.

Dennis said:
Sorenson should NOT block VRS use of any other provider -- if I have difficulties getting my phone call completed because Sorenson can't "handle the load during peak hours" then I have the RIGHT to use another provider that meets my needs. All TRS providers have to follow this rule, so why should Sorenson be special enough to warrant an exception?
Because Sorenson PAID with their money for the shipping, the installer, the VP-100 equipment, sometimes a router, you are OBLIGATED to stick with SorensonVRS. It's purely business. Again, I already explained it in my last post.

Dennis said:
You do note that the other VRS providers provide virtually the same videophone equipment, FOR FREE, that can be used with Sorenson. I bet they realize that even though they could try to stoop to Sorenson's level and restrict customer choice, they know it's a better deal to let the customer choose their VRS provider based on QUALITY, not by force.
So? If you don't like it, you can buy your own!

As for myself, I am pretty satisfied with Sorenson. And, with a good head on my shoulders, I understand about the relay centers' ability to handle calls during peak hours. Remember those good old days when we had to wait FOREVER for a TDD/TTY relay operator to get on and take our calls?

Soonersfan79 said:
A guy installed it

There ya go, they send their guys in to install the VP-100s!

Sorenson's installers make sure every VP-100 works before they leave your house, so that often times, you won't have a problem using the VP-100s. As long as you keep in touch with the Sorenson's people, they will make sure their installers will come to your house and make the VP-100 work for you. If it is broken, again, you need to notify both the installer and the tech support at Sorenson's and see how soon you can get it replaced/repaired. If you are sitting there and whining about it, it would not solve anything and only makes you and Sorenson look bad! I know Sorenson is doing their best.

Come to think of it.. I can only imagine how much it cost to install one videophone, considering the costs of equipment, costs of the travel for one of their installers to come to the clients' homes, and the costs to maintain any relay calls made on the VP-100. I shudder at the thought of having to pay the resulting bill!

I have had ongoing problems with VP, until I talked with one of my coworkers at work. He told me that sometimes the firewall will act as a barrier. So he told me how to fix it myself and that it should work. Hopefully it will work now! *keeps finger crossed*

BabyPhat21 said:
I heard we can get this free, is this good???

I just applied for a free one. hopefully it will work.......why not I just got DSL this week :) :type:

I got VP100 on memorial day (oh yes it s freeeee), but it was finally set up by an installer last week, I LOVE IT... it s so much better than webcam! i feel like we are on tv or somethin'... very smooth... Hey, i suggest ya'll to have DSL service instead of cable modem! Videophone is good for DSL....

:wiggle:

Soonersfan79 said:
Can you get a D Link or any other video phone besides Sorensons VP 100 for free ?

Yes you can. BIS (Birnbaum Interpreting Services) now gives out free D-Link DVC-1000 Video Phones. Go to http://www.bisworld.com and click on the link in the lower left corner. I just got mine and I give HIPVRS two thumbs up. :bowdown:

Rick

Brainwashed Gal said:
I got VP100 on memorial day (oh yes it s freeeee), but it was finally set up by an installer last week, I LOVE IT... it s so much better than webcam! i feel like we are on tv or somethin'... very smooth... Hey, i suggest ya'll to have DSL service instead of cable modem! Videophone is good for DSL....

:wiggle:

I rather have cable than DSL..

I like to have cable modem than the DSL. DSL is depend on the distance and the Cable just fast like regular television. I feel that Sorenson should made some profit as what I mean to made wireless cellular phone with better picture like Sorenson VP-100 does.

I have yet it see any situation where DSL is better than cable

Cable VS DSL

Deaf258 said:
I rather have cable than DSL..

For me, I prefer DSL. with DSL, it give me up to 640 kbps upload while most of the cable is tend to be capped at 256 kbps. Both download rate is same (or cable is faster at some points, but it doesnt matter as VP only do up to 512 kbps, so both is fine) So, we see the same result of download, but the upload one does make the big difference. I have often to see clear crispy picture from other people if they use DSL (that is if they are under the correct plan). By the way, I like HIPVRS service. I like i2eye better as well.

NW

I have had major problems with Qwest DSL with my old roommates and the Qwest people didn't fix anything for 6 weeks. We finally gave up and got Comcast cable internet which is faster tech support and access.

Back