Some bad news on my CI update

Liebling:-))) said:
Ravensteve,

Did you know that your posts in any threads since few months confuse me totally!!!!!!!!!

At first you said that you lost hearing to deaf at 3 months ago.
At second you said that you lost hearing when you was 5 years old.
At third you said that you lost hearing to deaf when you was 25 years old.
At fourth you said you wear hearing aid for 38 years and happy with it.
At fifth you complaint over deafness.

Which exactly do you really want!!!!!

Because I dont know what you really want. :ugh2:

***shake the head and walk off***

I never said i lost my hearing 25 years old...Show me where i said that?
I did lose my hearing when i was 5 but i had normal hearing back then i lost 30% of my hearin a age 5 thats when a hearing aid helped me. I did lose ALL MY HEARING 3 Months ago you should really learn to read. :roll:

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Liebling:-))) said:
You alway change your stories in different threads.... I doesnt bother to add many links here.

See the example, Ravensteven

Here, what you ask for:
http://www.alldeaf.com/showpost.php?p=232292&postcount=8
Read carefuly [Mod note: watch the name calling!]
{{Long time ago my old ENT predicted id lose my hearing around when im 25}}.He predicted i lost it at 25 didnt happen. I also didnt belive id lose my hearing cause i tried to take good care of it by going to doctors have it checked up. See the doctors can prevent a lot of stuff if caught early.

ravensteve1961 said:
I never said i lost my hearing 25 years old...Show me where i said that?
I did lose my hearing when i was 5 but i had normal hearing back then i lost 30% of my hearin a age 5 thats when a hearing aid helped me. I did lose ALL MY HEARING 3 Months ago you should really learn to read. :roll:

Where? Because I didnt see it. Maybe you call it yourself? :smoking:

I only said that your threads CONFUSED me, period. I really dont know what you are saying. All what I see is you are a bitter man.

Whatever you think is your problem :scatter:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mod Note:

Thread re-opened...several posts have been removed and/or edited....

Please let's stick to the topic, if there isn't anything nice to be said, then please do your best to refrain from posting in here--

Thank you!!

~RR

Raven:

I am a long time CI user... I'm on my 3rd implant. It is not 100% perfect. Sure I hear some, but it'll never compare to actually "hearing" that you may have been used to in the past. It is a working progress, and you'll have to commit to auditory rehab in order to have the best possible use of the CI.

I have had a lady come to me at Deaf Expo. She got her CI a couple years ago. She noticed that I had the CI, too, and the first thing she asked me is: "How do you like your CI?" She said it with a sort of saddess -- I said I enjoy what benefits it offers me, which includes listening to music. Then she asked if I could talk on the phone. I said I do talk on the phone but I rarely understand what the other party said, so I really rely on text messaging and emails. She said she thought she would be able to hear everything again. I said, "I understand your expectations, but maybe that'll come for you eventually. Just enjoy what you have now, and just be patient with it."

The CI is, again, not a cure for deafness. I never thought it to be anything relatively close to a cure. I still roll my eyes whenever I read articles from amateur newswriters, etc claiming the CI as a "miracle!" It is not. You are still deaf with or without it. It's just something that might be of benefit. I'm perfectly content going for days without it on (it irritates some people, especially my parents, when I keep it off, but so what!). I think the only reason I'm happy with it is being able to hear music -- but, I'll never be able to understand the lyrics because I was deafened at a young age, and I was implanted with the single channel, which didn't allow much room for me to learn various sounds like a normal child would. Recently I decided to issue a "DNR" order on my CI: if it breaks down, I won't get re-implanted and I'll live the rest of my life as the person that I am who happens to be deaf.

The most recent CI (24 Channels) is comparably better than the single channel, but nothing compared to normal hearing. I think your doctor is right on to make sure you get a little more educated on the CI. I do see you have pretty high expectations, and that's ok, but it's not ok with the CI because you will be terribly disappointed like that lady who came up to me.

SweetKJ..
Wonderful post! I got to agree on it...

People ask me almost the same I tell them the truth.. It does Help me in most of way.. but I'm not complete Hearing that's it! they realized that I am still deaf even with CI on or off. :)

Wendy

Sweet KJ said:
The CI is, again, not a cure for deafness. I never thought it to be anything relatively close to a cure. I still roll my eyes whenever I read articles from amateur newswriters, etc claiming the CI as a "miracle!" It is not. You are still deaf with or without it. It's just something that might be of benefit. I'm perfectly content going for days without it on (it irritates some people, especially my parents, when I keep it off, but so what!). I think the only reason I'm happy with it is being able to hear music -- but, I'll never be able to understand the lyrics because I was deafened at a young age, and I was implanted with the single channel, which didn't allow much room for me to learn various sounds like a normal child would. Recently I decided to issue a "DNR" order on my CI: if it breaks down, I won't get re-implanted and I'll live the rest of my life as the person that I am who happens to be deaf.

I agree with it and I have no problems with my CI but i still dont think that the CI is a cure to deafness. Most hearing people think it is but its not. And of course while wearing it or not, still consider being deaf.

Excellent posts everyone! I am a student of journalism and I've noticed that the implant has been more accuratly portrayed as more of a hearing aid (helps you hear) rather then a miricle cure thing. There are still people who rave about how good their CI is, but the portrayal of them has gotten a lot more realisitic....

ravensteve1961 said:
Well should i forget about the CI and hope this develops in 5 years.
Hear Again in 5-10 years?

So the CI was potentionally shot down because you have unrealistic expectations.

So instead of lowering them, you latch onto another technology to maintain or raise them.

Face it, hearing like you had isn't going to happen. The sooner you face and accept this, the sooner they may be able to fit you with hardware like the CI.

Also, CI's are alot of work, don't think they are just going to turn it on as you leave and you'll hear perfectly. If that's your expectation, better to experience deafness then to grow frustrated and stop using the CI in 2 months.

PeteEMT said:
If that's your expectation, better to experience deafness then to grow frustrated and stop using the CI in 2 months.

Or to jump to the next so-called miracle cure, whatever that it is touted to be - then to the next, and the next, and so on....

AmazingChrist said:
I agree with it and I have no problems with my CI but i still dont think that the CI is a cure to deafness. Most hearing people think it is but its not. And of course while wearing it or not, still consider being deaf.

Just a clarification on my posting, never said it was a cure, but it was often portaryed as such in the media. Sadly, for reasons of expectations. (just making sure I'm understood, since I see "but...")

Back