social classes?

Kateweb

Reaction score
an update on my paper im looking for information on social classes in deaf culture, anyone have some input on this ?

Hmm...okay, I'll take a shot at this, while you are waiting for other responses anyway.
If you are asking if there is a hierachy within the deaf community, the answer is yes. For a cut and dry answer, Deaf of Deaf are generally near the top, Deaf who are native signers next, Deaf who learn sign later in life, late deafened who learn sign, and hearing. Of course there are exceptions.
Generally though, the deaf community is much more accepting of things the hearing world uses for class, (race, sexuality, etc.).
Not too sure what you mean, and I definitely could elaborate, but I'll let others answer. -Night

I think the hierarchy shifts, though. In some cases, s16's hierarchy definitely holds; in other cases, oral deaf are the high ranking ones, or cuers may be ranking, to name a few examples. It all depends on which community you're discussing at the moment (like any culture, Deaf culture is not monolithic).

I kinda figuerd that people who sign are near the top of the peking order, im still haveing a little truble finding some sort of scolerly article on thing any idias?

Back