So...what's the deal with homosexuals?

first of all what is aid in above this post is just an metaphor so i want to apologize for any offend i ve made if any of you feel hurted or something like that from what i said i apologize what i was trying to say i set my own line i do have homosexual friends of course so i apologize for what i said and again like i said before what i said is just an metaphor its not like i will rip their arms off or beat them senseless i m too gentle for that but if an certian guy or girl go too far and refuse to leave me alone i ll have to bring cops for this for sexual harassment thats what i will really do i dont like to hurt people so sorry if i made you think i would well hope this ll clear thiings up tata for now

That does. And with that bit of info i would have to say i agree with you. I have been in a bar and a guy grabbed my ass. I told him to back off. There is playing around but with out going into detail this was extremely inappropriate and angered me. Thanks for clearing that up it did seem that if a gay man brushed against you accentally you would go into a rage. Glad to see that is not the person you are. =)

Do note that gays have to deal with a lot more pawing from heterosexuals than vice versa. As a lesbian who always gets hit on by men who know I'm not interested, I deal with a lot more unwanted sexual attention from men than the average straight guy. And the guys that hit on uninterested women of all kinds are a lot more common and a lot more obnoxious...

This is an interesting thread!

So, original post was about religion and homosexuality. So, I'm going to comment on that aspect. (Sorry for the long post...)

Basically, there are about three levels fo this "homosexuality is sin" debate. At the top layer (and probably the weakest argument), you have those who consider scripture to be infallible, and who find clear scriptural evidence to support their claim. To this argument's credit, it's almost irrefutable that Paul considered homosexuality to be a sin (Romans 1:26-27). There are a few references throughout the Bible that have traditionally been considered condemnations of homosexuality. The Romans text is probably the most direct.

However, this layer of argument is (IMO) one of the weakest. First, we're not Paulians, we're Christians. What Jesus said takes precidence over anything his disciples and apostles said. If there's a disagreement between what Paul says and what Jesus says, Jesus wins. Period. Jesus was not hateful to those with different creeds than himself. That's the whole point of the parable of the Good Samaratan. He might have considered homosexuality to be a sin, it's really hard to say. Certainly the culture he grew up in did. Nevertheless, Jesus' ministry isn't about focusing on who is sinning and who isn't. Rather, it's focused on getting YOURSELF right with God. If you're worried too much about the sins of someone other than yourself or perhaps your children, you're starting to walk on thin ice. It's not always wrong to do this, but it often is. Further weakening this argument is that we cannot remove Paul from his 2000 year old chauvenist Mediterranean culture and say that somehow God prevented him from being influenced by his own culture. He says a number of questionable things, and many probably don't work in modern culture (things about women's dress and hair and other cultural anecdotes). Most of the other scriptural references to homosexuality are similarly of questionable merit (the Levitical holiness codes for example aren't considered binding to Christians). The sin of Sodom and Gomorrah is often brought up. The trouble is defining what in particular God was upset with. It seems that sexual immorality in general was the problem, and even if you consider homosexuality to be immoral, there are 1000s of other ways to abuse sex, so you have to do a mental check on yourself. Are you sure you're using the same level of concern for other sexual immoralities? Jesus for example said lust of the heart is equivalent to infidelity. That's a pretty high standard that most of us have trouble living up to.

Another Biblical argument against homosexuality goes: where were the first homosexuals then, in the Creation stories of Genesis? In other words, the theory goes, God didn't create us to be homosexual beings. He created two sexes, and this was done for a reason. Now this argument is a bit more difficult to dismiss, because even if you dispose of the Creation metaphors as simply stories, they are without a doubt stories with a purpose. They tell us "why" God created mankind, even if you don't choose to take them literally. The one weakness I can pick out here is that if you take that argument to its logical extreme, it would be sinful to send a man to the moon. God didn't intend for us to walk on the moon, but we've done it. So, did we sin?

One final Biblical argument against homosexuality deals with the moral effects of homosexuality. This argument is based on Jesus' answer to his disciples when questioned about how the disciples can distinguish those who preach His word faithfully from those who are false teachers or charlatans. His answer was: "You will know them by their fruit." In other words, you'll know by the results they achieve. When applied to those who consider homosexuality to be "ok", the focus becomes "Alright, what are the results of a homosexual lifestyle?" This is why so much debate goes on about whether homosexuals are truly happy, or whether they're living a kind of manic depression, and so on. It's also why so much focus is paid to the fringe cases of homosexuality where people clearly are hurting each other and are living completely immoral lives (in other aspects of their lives besides their sexual behavior). I personally am unconvinced by this argument, because I don't see enough evidence that homosexuality, separated from other immoralities, creates injustice and discord (like slavery did example).

So, there you have it. That's the main thrust of the debate from a Christian perspective.

Someone here posted that scripture has been corrupted and mistranslated, and therefore that's an argument for not trusting the homosexuality passages. Actually, that's an incredibly weak argument IMO. There are plenty of reasons to question the traditional Church stance on homosexuality, but that's not one of them. Take any other book of antiquity (Plato's "Republic", Virgil's "Aenid", Augustine's "City of God", Homer's "Illiad", Sophocles' "Antigone, and Philoctetes or Trachiniae", the "Corpus Aristotelicum", etc.) and you will find that the Bible, especially the New Testament has been translated with amazing fidelity throughout 2000+ years. Are there single point mistranslations? Of course, but usually those are corrected in a different translation, so the overall fidelity is preserved far more strongly than other books of antiquity. And why would we expect anything else? Those who copied and translated the Bible took the work very seriously, and would never have considered intentionally changing "the Word of God". Even if there were people with bad intentions, they would never have been the sole source of authority, and would have been "found out". That's why you should be wary of anyone who tells you to read only one translation of the Bible.

Someone else argued that the Bible's contents have been chosen by MEN, and therefore they're somehow illegitimate. Chauvinism has generally negative effects, and that's undeniable. We have to be careful making sweeping generalizations like that though. All thought leadership up until the 1800s was male dominated. That doesn't make it all worthless.

Anyway, great post all. I really enjoy these kinds of discussions.

--Cal

Do note that gays have to deal with a lot more pawing from heterosexuals than vice versa. As a lesbian who always gets hit on by men who know I'm not interested, I deal with a lot more unwanted sexual attention from men than the average straight guy. And the guys that hit on uninterested women of all kinds are a lot more common and a lot more obnoxious...

good point

which is the biggest sin? fudgepacking or murdering?

I love this thought process. What's even better is to alter it just a bit and then see Jesus' answer.

In other words: "Who is the best disciple? Who has the least sin?"

The answer can be found toward the end of the story of the Last Supper, and the Washing of the Disciples' Feet.

Last Supper

Washing of the Disciples' Feet

Jesus' message is about radical acceptance, love, and service -- right where people are, just as they are, just as they come to you, without regard to how important you consider yourself to be. You can worry about their sins after you've sufficiently served and helped them, and even then, only to the extent that they can recognize those sins themselves after caring and thoughtful discussion. Going further faster is creating a stumbling block, or in many cases, worse.

It's not our job to work out other people's relationship to God for them. It's about coaching, mentoring, and brotherhood, not controlling.

Jesus wants us to change for the better, but he doesn't want us forced to change. God is not a divine rapist.

I just don't get all the straight people coming into the gay section and bitching and preaching. Geez, I don't go into the straight areas and make a big tado about straight people. Give it a rest already. If you don't like us, stay out of our bars and don't come into our chat area. I have a theory that those that come in here and yell the loudest are actually in the closet and trying hard to prove that they are not gay.

Ha Ha that is big baloney.. I tell you the truth, I had met some deaf Homosexuals. they said to me they think that I am so cute and well-groomed. they did encoruage me should have to give a try sex if you like it or not.. I was blew them up from my mind. I felt that way they intended to force me to do something have sex with them for a try.. HECK FUCKING NOOO. I NEVER WILL GIVE A DAMN TRY FOR HAVE SEX WITH IDIOT HOMOSEXUAL PERIOD.. they have WORSTEST MENTAL CASES I ever met.. I never forget who the homosexuals are how raised them that way.. if they do something around my kids what they offer.. I will put them in cup they smell coffee in morning time..

HOMOSEXUAL WANTS SEX..S.E.X. THEIR MIND FILLED ABOUT SEX, SEX ,SEX, SE,X ... HOW THEY ARE MENTAL PROBLEMS.. THAT WHAT THEY MUST HAVE TO TASTE IT FOR EVERYDAY..

THIS FACT DIRECTLY TO HOMOSEXUALS..

They didn't force you to do anything. They just asked. When you said no, that ok.

Not according to this man
NYHETER-07s13-pastor-919.jpg

Rev Fred Philps
Homosexuality is a Behavoral Problem

He looks as stupid as his idea sounds.:rl:

I just don't get all the straight people coming into the gay section and bitching and preaching. Geez, I don't go into the straight areas and make a big tado about straight people. Give it a rest already. If you don't like us, stay out of our bars and don't come into our chat area. I have a theory that those that come in here and yell the loudest are actually in the closet and trying hard to prove that they are not gay.

If that's directed at me, I guess I can blame myself for not being more brief in the posting, you probably didn't really read it. (It was long, but I was trying to summarize the breadth of Christian thought on homosexuality, which, contrary to popular opinion, isn't all one way.) Essentially what I'm saying is that I tend to believe that Christians are worrying too much about gay people's sexual practices, and not worrying enough about their souls. So, we're kind of on the same page. I wasn't preaching, but rather summarizing the whole space, and then giving my opinion (which actually kind of agrees with yours).

Basically, I'm saying that "enclaving" into special areas (bars, chat rooms, secret societies, etc.) is misdirected -- no matter who does it (exclusionism is wrong). We all have far more in common than divides us. Sometimes it's nice to enclave, it gives us a feeling of being "out of the weather", but on the whole, I don't like it, because it can be a way for us to emphasize our differences. To some degree I guess it's ok, but on the whole, I think people should figure out what they have in common before figuring out where they disagree. Many many Christians haven't followed Christ's example -- claiming people's humanity and dignity first. I tend to agree with you. Those most offended by homosexuality (as opposed to those who just don't understand it) seem to be the ones who have some other agenda, and they're using the Bible to justify their agenda. That Philps guy almost certainly has to have some other agenda (perhaps he was molested as a child and didn't deal with it, perhaps he has closet homosexual tendencies and because of his upbringing he's ashamed of that, who knows?).

All I know is that there's nothing wrong with acknowledging somone's humanity and dignity, and that's what I'm about. We can worry about lifestyle choices later, and every single one of us, without exception, has lifestyle issues. To argue otherwise is to claim self-perfection.

Last edited:
Calphool, I think the issue of straight people coming here to whine and condemn us all for sinning [and for apparently spreading e.coli?] is one that describes the empress, if anyone, or at least thats how I'm interpreting it...

Calphool, I think the issue of straight people coming here to whine and condemn us all for sinning [and for apparently spreading e.coli?] is one that describes the empress, if anyone, or at least thats how I'm interpreting it...

My comment was for anyone coming in here and complaining. I'm gay. I don't advertise it, I don't force it on other people and I certainly don't shove my religion down anyone's throat. So, why do straight people feel it necessary to come into our chat area and preach and/or whine. I'm not going into any religious decussion groups; and, or any other groups, and whining and saying, I'm gay, why can't you love me, I'm God's creature, I'm here and deal with it, etc. But there seems to always be one who has to shout I'm straight and then make their complaint. Especially the empress.

Otherwise, show me the same respect that I'm showing you!

Comment about Sodom. Being that i am gay and also that i have a good knowledge of the bible. Okay first of all God said he would destroy Sodom and Gomorrah and 3 additional cities on the plain that day. The ONLY reason God gave is that they were wicked. that is it. When the angles got to Sodom and the men wanted to have sex with them, THAT is where the whole gay thing comes from. The way preachers make it sound He distroyed the 5 cities because they were all 100% gay. Now that was 5,000 years ago. We cannot even get one city to be 100% gay now and this was every single city on the plain. How many thousands of men would that be? 10's, 100's of thousands? plus no city can be sustained that way, with 100% men gay or straight. Not now, not then. So this whole arguement is completely fabricated by people who are scared of us. Besides why would he destroy those cities but allow Rome, Greece, Egypt, Persia, etc... of the same time period go scott free when they are well known for homosexuality? The Bible does say God is the same yesterday today and forever. so that doesn't make any sense. Lastly yes the bible does say being gay is an abomination. It also says eating shell fish is an abomination. So if you eat shrimp, crabs, lobsters you are in the same boat as me my fine straight friends!

Comment about Sodom. Being that i am gay and also that i have a good knowledge of the bible. Okay first of all God said he would destroy Sodom and Gomorrah and 3 additional cities on the plain that day. The ONLY reason God gave is that they were wicked. that is it. When the angles got to Sodom and the men wanted to have sex with them, THAT is where the whole gay thing comes from. The way preachers make it sound He distroyed the 5 cities because they were all 100% gay. Now that was 5,000 years ago. We cannot even get one city to be 100% gay now and this was every single city on the plain. How many thousands of men would that be? 10's, 100's of thousands? plus no city can be sustained that way, with 100% men gay or straight. Not now, not then. So this whole arguement is completely fabricated by people who are scared of us. Besides why would he destroy those cities but allow Rome, Greece, Egypt, Persia, etc... of the same time period go scott free when they are well known for homosexuality? The Bible does say God is the same yesterday today and forever. so that doesn't make any sense. Lastly yes the bible does say being gay is an abomination. It also says eating shell fish is an abomination. So if you eat shrimp, crabs, lobsters you are in the same boat as me my fine straight friends!

Unfortunately, religion (for many people) is very much a Pick&Choose game. The bible has a plethora of prohibitions, rules, commandments, etc. that people treat like a buffet bar. "I'll have some of this, this and this, but I don't want any of that, that, or that." To me, either you buy the whole package, or you don't. Adherance to scripture (if you consider yourself a devout person) shouldn't be a matter of convenience. To do so equates to hypocrisy, in my book.

I'm an atheist, but I respect other people's right to worship as they please. I'm happy that some people find comfort and solace in their religion, whatever it might be. What I don't appreciate, however, is when fundamentalists (of any religion) go out of their way to ram their dogma down my throat. That includes intrusion into my private life. So when folks from the Pick&Choose camp are the ones to intrude on my private life, it infuriates me.

Back