So Hello

so

Reaction score
hey everybody. I'm a 'hearing person' (is there a special term for that?), I have had interest in the Deaf community for some time, most recently due to occasional interaction with a deaf girl who used to come into my gas station (maybe still does but i work weird hours now so i dont see a lot of the people I used to). I have known only a few Deaf people in my life, however my sister learned a fair amount of ASL in high school, not sure if she still does much with it . . . Anywho I've been thinking I would like to learn ASL, but as of the reason I am here right now is because I am writing a research paper for English 2010 (the second and last class I need for my Anthropology major, thank jebus English is so hard for me). The Deaf community could be of definite anthropological interest, I don't know of any work done in this area. I hope it's not offensive that it sounds like I am only interested in Deaf people in the name of science. If it is any consolation I am a person with a few differences which some people consider disabilities, namely 'Asperger Syndrome' though this is a technically outdated classification per the newest Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM- 5th Edition). I suppose the modern terminology would be mild severity autism. ANYWHO the point of this being, science is often the only way I see things, so don't take offense please or think I am intentionally reducing anyone to no more than scientific subjects. Sorry for my ramblings. Hello Hello.

LOL! Sorry, I did have to laugh at the special term for a hearing person question... =P We prefer to call hearing people "hearing people" lol! =P I had to give you a little crap there for that one. =P Sometimes you'll see "hearie" versus "deafie" I suppose it just makes it shorter and to the point, like ASL? =P I don't know, I just go with the flow.

There are a lot of people that come here to ask questions to people in the deaf community, you're not the first by far. =P Most people are friendly and very welcoming, you're not going to be scolded for being hearing. =P I find most people in the deaf community " I say most because not all, and I never want to speak for everyone ever" are very welcoming of any person wanting to genuinely learn about the deaf community. It's better to come and learn, then to assume and judge by far. "Like when people find out you're deaf and talk to you louder and slower as if it will help you hear them better."

Welcome, and I wish you luck! =P

Back