sleeping over hearing friends house

MINILEE

Reaction score
how does it go when you sleep over hearing peoples houses?
what are the do's and dont's well what should i be like?
i dont want to offend anyone but yet i dont want to be an experiment either lol

Just be normal like everyone else. Just act natural just like yourself. Maybe it would be fun if you teach them to sign if you know how to sign like SEE or ASL. I just hope they don't make fun of the sign language. This would be a bummer. I don't know about sleeping with the hearing people like a slummer party (mostly girls) just to have fun time together like fixing their hair up or make up or putting color finger or toe nail polish on. Most of the time they would chat about boys or something they are interest in. You have to be more specific what you are planning to spend over at the hearing people's house. :hmm:

It has always been a bummer for me unless they know sign. I am in las Vegas for the convention and only one of my 2 roommates know sign fluently.. he is spending the majority of his time as my interpreter.

Well how are you normally around your hearing friends? I'd just continue to do that...I mean if you talk around them at school or something, that shouldn't change when you're sleeping over.

If you take out your HAs when you're sleeping (I remember that you're HOH, right?), then just say "Hey, when you guys get up for breakfast, wake me up." Assuming that you want to be aware that they're up. That's usually what I did, and it was fine. Most of the time when it was dark and they wanted to keep talking, they wound down eventually and everyone would say goodnight. Then I'd take out my HAs.

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking ?

could you maybe give us an example about things you're worried/unsure about?

well we will have fun and games and yeah getting left behind was what i was worried about?
like when i get home i usually dont need my hearing aids lol....but this will be different
yeah act myself thanks i know i wasnt trying to change.
but sometimes they use me the whole time to learn things and stuff is that good or bad?
when i go to their house im like the center of attention when other things are going on....how strange
lol ill be there for a weekend and stuff. my parents usually wake me up so yeah thanks for the advice. what specifics do you need?

I don't think them asking you questions and such is bad. At least they're making an effort to understand you and see what it's like to be HOH/deaf. You could always change the subject if it gets repetitive or whatnot.

Yeah, in this case, if your friends don't sign or anything, and your HAs will help you out, then sure, wear them! Just tell your friends what you need, like, that you need them to look at you when they talk, etc. I'm sure it's nothing too new to them, since they're your friends!

If you're watching TV or movies - just remind them that you need the captions/subtitles on.

If you're playing games, choose ones that don't relay on hearing - things like pictionary might be a lot of fun (no signs, just gestures)

You might want to let whomever would likely wake you up exactly how to wake you up without scaring the you-know-what out of you (have them lay on the bed, and then you physically demonstrate what to do) ... that way THEY will be confident about how to appropriately wake you up if they need to.

While spending some time "learning" is ok (hey, it's great they are interested ... not all friends are) - it's important that the entire time isn't a "free teaching session", unless you want it to be. If you've had enough for the moment just say something like "OK , I need a break from that for a bit - maybe we can do some more (then name a specific time)"

Remember - these are friends, if you find something not working, or that you're falling behind in a conversation then be open and honest about it.

If people are constantly talking over each other, two things that may help are:

1) Have people slightly raise their hand/arm before they start talking

2) try making a game of it - get a soft item like a bean bag, clean rolled up socks,clean dishtowel knotted etc. When someone talks they have to be holding the item... because it's soft, you can toss it from person to person.

I'm not sure how old you are, however you mentioned that you parents typically wake you ... you may want to look into getting a sonic alert "Sonic Boom" alarm clock that will allow you to wake independently of anyone helping you. The Sonic Boom alarm clock is also good for travelling :) - and there are a number of specific small "travel alarms" available as well.
Most of the Sonic Alert alarm clocks will receive signals from other sonic alert signallers, such as a phone/vrs signaller, doorbell etc ... these are easy to use in a "hearing house" because they simply plug into the electrical outlets. This would allow you to be aware of the phone, doorbell, etc without having to rely at all on your hearing.

Just a thought :)

Back