Skill Communication & Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do research on how deaf people learn, and then come back.

I am not actually here to educate you.

Yes, let's make blanket statements and not provide a supporting argument.

Yes, the failing education system does perpetuate the stereotype that deaf people have a lower intelligence. This is because hearing people only base their findings on writing assessments of d/Deaf people instead of using an assessment that would analyze one's signing skills. Hearing people do not understand that d/Deaf people are capable of expressing answers/ideas in ASL that are equivalent of how a hearing person would express in written English.

Writing is just one kind of intelligence. So hence, writing is not the only way to assess one's intelligence. This situation has been around for a long long time. For example, people who come from different countries were (and still are) forced to take assessments in English which produces lower scores and the notion from the assessment givers that they are not intelligent. However, researchers proved that if they were given an assessment in their FIRST language, the amount of intelligence they had was high.

Thanks for this.

Do research on how deaf people learn, and then come back.

I am not actually here to educate you.
:lol:
exactly people learn how research how learn skills communication intelligence level increase confidental and more best changelle, wish be sign effort to more to self confidential more research skills communication, talk also I understand more self confidential , I can advise to people more If suppose education expertise study research,

better high quality better communication help people effort to education research successfully wish better :) Hope be changeless care to friends or professional anything?

Last edited:
:lol:
exactly people learn how research how learn skills communication intelligence level increase confidental and more best changelle, wish be sign effort to more to self confidential more research skills communication, talk also I understand more self confidential , I can advise to people more If suppose fail education research,

better high quality better communication help people effort to education research successfully wish better :) Hope be changeless care to friends or professional anything?

You made zero sense in what you said, Smithr. So with the statement of yours that is highlighted in red, it is prudent that you avoid giving advice to people about education research.

You made zero sense in what you said, Smithr. So with the statement of yours that is highlighted in red, it is prudent that you avoid giving advice to people about education research.

OP They, Education Many people education is very advise to lots of support to research confident,it it is seems I have adjust to serious, reason no reason
you seem trolling, Unfortnately
I can't help you question closed,

@respectyoda not seems it stealing copy hijacked my posts! not accept!!

Smithtr....I can't answer the original question, I have no idea what you were saying.... but I'm dying of curiosity about something, and have been since I joined this forum.

As has already been mentioned ASL is not English, the grammar is just completely different. So for some ASL is their first language, and English is their second. I've noticed you're from Canada. I've wondered if ASL is your 1st language, French you 2nd, and English your 3rd?

How about PSE? Isn't it supposed to be ASL with English grammar?

Smithtr....I can't answer the original question, I have no idea what you were saying.... but I'm dying of curiosity about something, and have been since I joined this forum.

As has already been mentioned ASL is not English, the grammar is just completely different. So for some ASL is their first language, and English is their second. I've noticed you're from Canada. I've wondered if ASL is your 1st language, French you 2nd, and English your 3rd?

oh i see, what is name forums?

I have experience ASL,LSQ,, I have translate to few people support to alldeaf people me, I have English 3,

I'd live from Canada :)

my parents doesn`t teach encourage to support to my fluents confused grammar. I have difficult to complicationt fail education no reason., I didn`t successfully grammar doesn't work I struggle on my parents, my parents didn`t sign language, but my mom few sign language teach mostly for me..

Last edited:
A point of clarity-above-referring to "deaf" in school presumably means those born deaf and unable to utilize Cochlear Implants or parents declined preferring ASL

Late deafened persons presumably speak and can write-hopefully

How about PSE? Isn't it supposed to be ASL with English grammar?

PSE uses ASL in an English order.

Nota Bene: PSE is not a formal language.

Ambrosia, you bring up a good point with your question. Many times when people have a weak foundation in their first language and then they learn a second language, they will become a weak bilingual in which they do not have the proper understanding of how both languages have underlying language properties while they are separate linguistically. This is the case for many Deaf people who demonstrate poor English writing skills.

I believe every deaf person should spend more time writing and reading. Ive met alot of deafies who hate to read and some say reading bores them. We have to admit. Some deafies writing SUCKS. and they think Im being rude but I care for them and want them to understand its only holding them back from good jobs, more knowledge, etc.

Which is why I HATE ASL. It doesnt force them to use words like 'the' 'and' and other adjectives that clarifies and expands their communication as SEE would. I believe SEE is superior because it promotes better writing, although I do know ASL is more efficient for 'general concept' communication for a lack of a better way to describe it. If I had deaf kids I would force them to learn SEE.

Honestly, I think most deafies love ASL more because it allows them to communicate quickly and allows a more personalized formed of communication. But in the end it holds them back.

I respectfully disagree with your stance on this. Please don't base your judgment on basing the decision of how deaf people write just because they use ASL. Yes, it may seem like there's a lack of grammar structure, dialogue and syntax on making a message but in reality, ASL is NOT a written language and it shouldn't be. This is why you may think that it is held back for many. Yes, ASL is much easier to use to convey a conversation but it doesn't hold us back. The problem is that, Society in general are not educated about it which is why it forces us to be held back.

I realize that people will always argue about ASL and PSE. They can have their opinions. Please understand that for me, when I try to sell bikes, people wants to know that I can talk to them easily about bikes. Shopping for a bike shouldn't be like solving a jigsaw puzzle. Neither should be shopping for a furniture or farm tools. Customers don't want to discuss structure differences. They just want to make purchase and move on to next phase.

Whatever mode of communication you pick, you want to be sure other people can read you easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back