skeptic now says global warming real

Status
Not open for further replies.

netrox

Reaction score
It's amazing... he spent so much time denying that there's global warming and came up with every explanation for the increase... and now he's saying he's convinced there's global warming.

A prominent physicist and skeptic of global warming spent two years trying to find out if mainstream climate scientists were wrong. In the end, he determined they were right: Temperatures really are rising rapidly.
The study of the world's surface temperatures by Richard Muller was partially bankrolled by a foundation connected to global warming deniers. He pursued long-held skeptic theories in analyzing the data. He was spurred to action because of "Climategate," a British scandal involving hacked emails of scientists.

Yet he found that the land is 1.6 degrees Fahrenheit (1 degree Celsius) warmer than in the 1950s. Those numbers from Muller, who works at the University of California, Berkeley, and Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, match those by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and NASA.

He said he went even further back, studying readings from Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson. His ultimate finding of a warming world, to be presented at a conference Monday, is no different from what mainstream climate scientists have been saying for decades.

What's different, and why everyone from opinion columnists to cable TV 's satirical"The Daily Show" is paying attention is who is behind the study.

One-quarter of the $600,000 to do the research came from the Charles Koch Foundation, whose founder is a major funder of skeptic groups and the conservative tea party movement. The Koch brothers, Charles and David, run a large privately held company involved in oil and other industries, producing sizable greenhouse gas emissions."

But... the Koch Foudnation refuses to accept that and keeps funding research to prove it wrong:

"In a brief email statement, the Koch Foundation noted that Muller's team didn't examine ocean temperature or the cause of warming and said it will continue to fund such research. "The project is ongoing and entering peer review, and we're proud to support this strong, transparent research," said foundation spokeswoman Tonya Mullins."

The Associated Press: Skeptic finds he now agrees global warming is real

I admire people who are intelligent enough to change their position when they have the information showing the flaws in their previous position. That seems to be so rare these days.

I admire people who are intelligent enough to change their position when they have the information showing the flaws in their previous position. That seems to be so rare these days.

It sure is rare. People can stare undeniable evidence that they are wrong and still claim they are right. So sad. It's probably a mental issue. :dunno:

It sure is rare. People can stare undeniable evidence that they are wrong and still claim they are right. So sad. It's probably a mental issue. :dunno:

I'd say that you should know quite a lot about that.

I'd say that you should know quite a lot about that.

No need to get personal. It is amazing this man could have such a change of mind. Evidence that the global is warming has been out there for a long time yet some fail to see it

No need to get personal. It is amazing this man could have such a change of mind. Evidence that the global is warming has been out there for a long time yet some fail to see it

Like your initial post was not a thinly veiled attempt at passive agressive personally directed posts.:roll:

Hmmm....so your stance now is that global warming is an acurrate concept and scientific explantion?

Like your initial post was not a thinly veiled attempt at passive agressive personally directed posts.:roll:

Hmmm....so your stance now is that global warming is an acurrate concept and scientific explantion?

I was agreeing with you. *shrug*

No doubt the globe is warmer

and now, TXGolfer, you moved to Washington DC from California!?!? Whats up with that? :)

and now, TXGolfer, you moved to Washington DC from California!?!? Whats up with that? :)

Lol Just a temp thing. I am still TX/NM/CA. I will be in DC against my will. :lol:

It's inaccurate to say the guy used to be a skeptic. He said this in 2008:
The bottom line is that there is a consensus -- the [Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change] -- and the president needs to know what the IPCC says. Second, they say that most of the warming of the last 50 years is probably due to humans. You need to know that this is from carbon dioxide, and you need to understand which technologies can reduce this and which can't.
Author and physicist Richard A. Muller chats with Grist about getting science back in the White Hous | Grist

Not exactly the words of a skeptic.

"There is no consensus" and the "President needs to know" are certainly not the words of an avid supporter.:dunno2:
"The bottom line is that there is a consensus...". Those are his actual words. The word "no" does not appear in that sentence.

"The bottom line is that there is a consensus...". Those are his actual words. The word "no" does not appear in that sentence.

You are correct. I misread...bias is showing.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back