Siobhan: A Fully Silent Feature-Length Film, starring Tami Lee Santimyer

CodyClarke

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Cody Clarke, and I'm an independent filmmaker. I'm currently in pre-production on a fully silent feature-length film called Siobhan, which I wrote and will be directing.

Siobhan is romantic comedy-drama in a similar vein to Woody Allen’s classic New York films. It tells the story of a reclusive Deaf woman in her mid-20‘s (named Siobhan) who lives alone in Park Slope, Brooklyn, and hermits herself from the world, from happiness, and from love. She will be played by renowned Deaf theatre actress Tami Lee Santimyer.

Over the course of the film, Siobhan goes through ups and downs, both comedic and tragic, as her outgoing and troublesome 18-year-old sister Sophie, who is hard of hearing, tries to bring her out of her shell. Sophie will be played by newcomer Briana Birks, who, like her character, is hard of hearing.

This film will be completely silent. No music, no ambient sound, nothing. All sign language and spoken dialogue will be subtitled. Deaf and Hearing filmgoers alike will enjoy the same viewing experience.

There has never been a film quite like this. Almost all films with Deaf characters feature sound, even ones with Deaf protagonists. So Hearing audiences are only ever encountering them from the perspective of a Hearing observer. Sound disables Hearing audiences from truly experiencing a Deaf character’s perspective. Only through silence can Hearing audiences be immersed in their world.

Another benefit of silence is that it provides Deaf actors the exceptionally rare opportunity of playing Hearing characters. In fact, many of the Hearing characters in the film will be played by Deaf talent. To say this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for them is an understatement: this is a once-in-film-history opportunity.

I'm currently running an IndieGoGo campaign to raise money to shoot this film. For over a year and a half, I’ve been trying to find funding for this film through traditional methods, and though response to the script has been great, it has been very difficult to find investors willing to take a chance on a fully silent film. This is a shame, because for Deaf audiences, all films are ‘silent’, yet that doesn’t stop them from enjoying films. If a story is well-told, and the visuals are compelling, that’s what matters most. Film began as, and always will be most of all, a visual medium. Siobhan is a love letter to the power of film in its purest form.

You can check out the campaign page here: Siobhan: A Fully Silent Feature-Length Film -- Indiegogo

We've got a lot of great rewards for donors. Just $10 gets you a 4x6 postcard in the mail from Tami, with her headshot on it, autographed on the front, with a personalized thank you on the back. But, if you can't afford to donate, just spreading the word about the project would really help. The more people know about what we're doing, the better.

If you have any questions about the film, I'd be glad to answer them here. Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoy the finished film!

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

I'm really hoping you're not going to be using the words "hearing impaired" in any or your advertising or anything else to do with the film. Ick

We - especially those who Sign are "Deaf" - not "hearing impaired".

Good luck with your movie.

or hard of hearing (HOH or HH). The term Hearing Impaired makes my skin crawl.

That aside, I'll check out your indiegogo and spread the word! good luck!

I'm really hoping you're not going to be using the words "hearing impaired" in any or your advertising or anything else to do with the film. Ick

We - especially those who Sign are "Deaf" - not "hearing impaired".

Good luck with your movie.

or hard of hearing (HOH or HH). The term Hearing Impaired makes my skin crawl.

That aside, I'll check out your indiegogo and spread the word! good luck!

Changed it. Sorry about that, I've heard some people refer to themselves as 'hearing impaired', so I didn't know it was a controversial term. Thanks for pointing that out.

H.I. Is sometimes used by people who were totally hearing most of their life, then as older adults lost their hearing and see it basically as a tragedy.

The majority of people however - and especially anyone who has learned and uses a Signed Language (ASL, BSL etc) - really hate the term and prefer either Deaf or Hard of Hearing (if they also feel comfortable using residual hearing to communicate orally).

When in doubt, skip the H.I. Term unless someone has specifically indicated that's how they themself would like to be labelled (and then only use the term H.I. Whent referring to that one person).

Back