simultaneous bilateral cochlear implants

Hear Again, that was indeed the right thing to do. I really do think that unless the person has absolutly no help from hearing aids or severe tintitas or recruitment, that they should be required to wait a bit, just to see if a bimodal approach will help. It does seem like it's kind of hit or miss .......exactly like the digital vs. analog debate for hoh folks.

I don't think the difference between a digital and analog aid can possibly be the same as from an aid to CI. Most CI users can get up to 40 db EXTRA gain from a CI, going from approx. 55 db up 20. That is a huge difference. Digital vs analog isn't even close to that.

Thank you for sharing. So by "speech and music sound fuller and richer" mean you can understand better or it's just quality of speech and music being better?

Do you feel more relaxed hearing people converse with you with two CI?

Just talking to people who are fast talkers do not make things better, it does make things more clearer.

I've had one implant for a couple months before getting the second...I did NOT like the one sided feel to it. I rarely ever wear just one hearing aid...I grew up with two. So it felt so empty with just one. After I got the second one (which is my better ear), everything sounded more richer, fuller, clearer, crisper and better localization of sounds.

Both of my CI's have different maps as well, so it's adjusted just exactly want I need (although I need a new map in my right, just to tweak some things). You can't really do that much adjustment with HA's, unless if you have such a powerful and expensive digital HA's.

HearAgain,
I have thought about it after being several years using a CI. It seems that two CI is beneficial. I wanted to ask people about it to make sure I understand how a second CI can help.

LadySekhmet,
Thank you for sharing your experience with two CI. I appreciate it.

Back