Signing Time Videos?

justagirl

Reaction score
Has anyone had any success with these videos and their children? We are ordering them for our son and I am just curious. I thought it would make learning ASL for him more fun, than just watching me.

Any thoughts?

Wirelessly posted

My kids love them - although we are concentrating on Auslan (Auslan Sign Language) now we are back in Australia. It is fun way to remember the various signs. Silly pizza is clever and a favorite with the kids.

That is great to know! We decided to "rent" the very first one off of Amazon last night and see what they were like. They are really fun. And our son actually watched most of it and did some of the signs with the kids on there. :)

We looked up the Silly Pizza song today on Youtube and it was cute. My husband had the best time signing that one...lol He was being all dramatic dancing around signing and singing it...lol it was funny and we all got a good laugh from it. :) The one that was love the most so far, is the one about family. It's something like: In a house, in a home, there are mothers and fathers, sisters and brothers and ME ME ME!" That one is so catchy and we can't get it out of our head. So while folding clothes today, we were singing and signing that one. :)

I have 20-month old triplets. They love the Signing Time videos. I sit one of them on my lap and help them copy the signs until their attention span wanes, then move on to the next kid. It really seems to be helping build their vocabulary. The videos seem to help me be a good "teacher"/mommy by acting like a built in lesson plan/guide.

Before I started doing this, we were seeing a lot of confusion with signs. For example, signing "please" when they meant "more". Or signing "milk" for nearly everything or anything. I'm seeing much less of this and a good increase in their vocabulary now.

I don't know how old your kids are, but I hope that helps.

Jen

I have 20-month old triplets. They love the Signing Time videos. I sit one of them on my lap and help them copy the signs until their attention span wanes, then move on to the next kid. It really seems to be helping build their vocabulary. The videos seem to help me be a good "teacher"/mommy by acting like a built in lesson plan/guide.

Before I started doing this, we were seeing a lot of confusion with signs. For example, signing "please" when they meant "more". Or signing "milk" for nearly everything or anything. I'm seeing much less of this and a good increase in their vocabulary now.

I don't know how old your kids are, but I hope that helps.

Jen

Our kids are 3yrs and 4mos. His sign for "ball" and "more" are basically the same. We are working on that...99% of the time though, I know which it is.

And oh wow, triplets...that is so amazing! :P

both our kids love them .. we have had to replace a few due to overuse... or overhandling by our kids

Has anyone had any success with these videos and their children? We are ordering them for our son and I am just curious. I thought it would make learning ASL for him more fun, than just watching me.

Any thoughts?

My daughter loved these when she was about a year up until 3-4, I think. But even now, she gets a kick out of seeing little musical clips appear on TV, I think the local public TV station gets them. If your child is deaf, watch them with the sound off to get what your child is experiencing. I was surprised to find that they are great for building basic ASL vocab, but not so hot for actually learning ASL. I kept wishing there would be even MORE signing while the music played. But still found them great fun.

Back