Signing soldiers

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
Today I saw two American soldiers in Iraq signing.

Every holiday, Fox News shows brief greetings from military people overseas to their friends and families in America.

This morning, one of the soldiers spoke and signed his entire greeting. Wow! I think he might be a CODA. He signed and fingerspelled very fast and naturally, while speaking naturally. He had to do a lot of fingerspelling for his name, rank, and military unit name (very long). It was very cool.

This afternoon, during one of the Fox interview shows, they did a longer interview greeting. The soldier was in Iraq. The wife and the young Deaf daughter were in a TV studio in America. The soldier spoke to his wife, and signed to his daughter. I wish you could see the girl's face! She was soooo excited! She covered her mouth with her hands, her eyes became HUGE, and she bounced around in her chair. Everyone watching got teary eyed. I taped it on my VCR.

rjr2006 said:
i missed it. will there be repeating of this?
I don't think they will repeat it. :( Usually they show a new soldier each time, and not repeat them.

That is so awsome! I'm hearing and in the Navy. I absolutely love the deaf culture (or the little I do know about it) and am so eager to find anyone who can sign in the military. But as you can guess, they are scarce.

Oh wow....that's cool that the serviceman was hearing, but learned ASL for his daughter!!! :) VERY COOL!!!!!!

Back